Culture Reverses

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Buying food for a week minimum vs every day.
I believe that has to do with traditionaly they are not used to have refrigirators/freezers. 
Paying bills when you receive them or in advance vs on the due date.
Well. Yes, better not paying the LAST day when it can be extra long queues if many have deadline the same day,

BUT why pay bills long before that???

specialy in a country where capital in many cases cost 20-40 % per MONTH   :)  

Water in Fridge: We have two jugs of cold water. When one is empty I fill it, push it to the back and bring the cold jug to the front. When she goes to get a cold glass of water she pushes the one in front out of the way and grabs the one from the back, assuming it is colder?
That seem to be an error in BOTH your cultures   :)   If drinking cold water the body find it to cold and start a HEATING process, which stops LATER than it has heated up the cold water, so the body become WARMER by drinking cold water.  It's good for a heated body to use cold water at OUTSIDE of the body, but better DRINK room temperature water  (=around 25 C). So I have my two jugs at my desk instead  :)
  • Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted
jon1, on 02 Jul 2015 - 3:09 PM, said: Paying bills when you receive them or in advance vs on the due date. Well. Yes, better not paying the LAST day when it can be extra long queues if many have deadline the same day, BUT why pay bills long before that??? specialy in a country where capital in many cases cost 20-40 % per MONTH     

I usually pay my fixed costs (Internet and Cable) up front 3-6 months at a time. My cable gives me a 10% discount by paying in advance. So I save 1000p annually by doing that. I mostly do it so the wife doesn't have to run around paying a bunch of bills. Usually each month we only have to pay the water (at the bank while getting our monthly budget) and electric.

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

We have 3 liters of water in fridge. One for each of us, color coded. We also have a water dispenser. I buy my food a week in advance. She buys theirs daily. I pay our utilities as I receive them. It gets me out and about. Avoiding "cabin fever".

As for "JUNK". Yes, she cannot pass up " Buy one take one" offers or 50% off worthless junk. When I threaten to get rid of it she says that she will give it to her relatives. Ok, but if it's still here in 6 months, it's gone.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
I believe that has to do with traditionaly they are not used to have refrigirators/freezers.

I believe it is because they are WOMEN, they belong to a completely different tribe. And if you do finally, finally understand them, they will find out you do, AND CHANGE AGAIN!!! :1 (103):

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted

Time and budget management -- a concept that most Filipinos meet with total disregard.  And thus, the term Filipino Time and borrowing pesos on a daily/weekly basis is a lucrative business among the 5/6 operators.  

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
Time

Yes, that was my pet peeve today.  Filipinos tend to think you will aways be home, waiting by the door or the phone so they can show up to do business with you.  Yesterday it was PLDT showing up on a whim.   The day before the aircon repairman showed up unannounced.  Today its the water delivery guy.  We know these people are coming, but we don't know when.  No one ever texts to say when they will be there and they just expect you to be there when they arrive.  They must know that my time is absolutely valueless and I have no intention of going shopping or going for a walk or going visiting friends.

But to be fair, we have had tradesmen show up unannounced before and they just stand at the gate, stymied, wondering why no one is answering their call and patiently waiting for hours for someone to show up.  Then there are others who call or come by when you are not there and you never see them again.  Strange culture this is.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Time

Yes, that was my pet peeve today.  Filipinos tend to think you will aways be home, waiting by the door or the phone so they can show up to do business with you.  Yesterday it was PLDT showing up on a whim.   The day before the aircon repairman showed up unannounced.  Today its the water delivery guy.  We know these people are coming, but we don't know when.  No one ever texts to say when they will be there and they just expect you to be there when they arrive.  They must know that my time is absolutely valueless and I have no intention of going shopping or going for a walk or going visiting friends.

But to be fair, we have had tradesmen show up unannounced before and they just stand at the gate, stymied, wondering why no one is answering their call and patiently waiting for hours for someone to show up.  Then there are others who call or come by when you are not there and you never see them again.  Strange culture this is.

This may have more to do with the fact that rarely is a filipino home empty. There is almost always someone there to make sure none of their possesions grow legs and walk away. Therefor others always expect that someone will be home.

• Like 4