Availability Of Food

Mike_56
Posted
Posted

The Ph is an island country and prone to natural disasters which creates a lot of problems for farmers and affects food self sufficiency in general. In addition to that in the recent years its economy has been shifting from purely agricultural to a more industrialized type which may undermine the agricultural sector even further, and create a need to import products. I would like to know in what areas of the country which food crops are grown; what the staple foods/dishes are; which are the cheapest, most available, which are most expensive/imported, which are lacking. What are the best regions in terms of availability of local foods? How does agriculture affect people's lives, environment in certain areas (contamination from pesticides, fertilizers, etc)? Finally, how does agriculture/range of produce there compare to: other asian countries such as Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia ; island countries in the Pacific such as New caledonia, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, Fiji?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
I would like to know in what areas of the country which food crops are grown

All of them Mike, 10 minutes outside of manila you will find farms of almost every description. There are some crops that are specialized in certain area (guiamaras and mangos for example, rice in Tarlac) all in all the Philippines (in my view) is still largely an agricultural society (even though they must import rice lol)

As for the rest, just to many questions. I suggest you break them down into individual topics. I am sure you will get some responses. :cheersty:

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

What?

That's college level, probably a Master's Thesis level.

We are retirees living in the Philippines, but we are not qualified to answer such a complex question.

There are different styles of cooking throughout the different regions but the food staples are not so much different from region to region. The main limiter on food availability, a percentage of the population (not sure what %) falls below the poverty line and would not be able to afford more than a few staples, rice, dried fish, maybe a vegetable they grow themselves.

Recent years there have been shortages of rice due to the conversion rice land for other purposes. Controversially and in the wake of many custom scandals, the shortfall has been met by buying rice from China, Vietnam, Thailand. However despite that, there are no actual food shortages except for crops that go in and out of season.

One major shift in the agricultural sector has been the conversion of rice lands to commercial fish farms, seen to be more profitable, less labor intensive.

What exactly was it you want to know anyway?

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I would like to know in what areas of the country which food crops are grown;

They grow rice and malanggay . . .  everywhere.  Beyond that, our most informative farmer is probably http://www.philippines-expats.com/user/490-jamesmusslewhite/

If you send him a private message he will either tell you his opinion on your question or he will answer it.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Dude, I know how you must feel. :unsure:  I hated doing homework and worse we did not have internet back then!  :th_unfair:

On a serious note. Read the book;

Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies.  It includes information on Philippines detailing many of your questions. 

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Professor Mike = simply go to the local market and all your questions will be answered.

• Like 4

virginprune
Posted
Posted

If it's available, buy it. If it isn't, choose something else. I've found that's pretty much the way it works here!

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

If it's available, buy it. If it isn't, choose something else. I've found that's pretty much the way it works here!

Remembering always to go with 2 Shopping List. Plan "A" For the good Day?

Plan "B" For the Normal day!  post-2148-0-16629700-1435886372_thumb.jp

Just saying Cos it Sometimes Happens  :hystery:

Welcome to the Philippines, The Land of Plenty and all good fun.

JP :tiphat:

OK! OK! I know the drill. post-2148-0-31969100-1435886524.jpg  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
If it's available, buy it

My Wifes motto is:  If its available BUY LOTS OF IT! You never know when port congestion will strike and the shelves are empty lolol :thumbsup:

• Like 4