36 Killed In Ormoc Sea Mishap

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
how can they put 173 passengers plus cargo at a banca without being overloaded.

It was a big boat and it was indeed used as a regular passenger ferry by local use of the word.  Here is a pic of the boat before it sank.  The pic must have been taken a while ago as I have seen the boat many times and it always seemed to look at lot more worn out than this picture shows.  But when you put all those passengers and cargo on the boat, in choppy waters, it tends to ride low and look much smaller.

320_2015_07_03_09_50_17.jpg

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Here is a pic of the boat before it sank. The pic must have been taken a while ago as I have seen the boat many times and it always seemed to look at lot more worn out than this picture shows.
:thumbsup:   (for the pic.)

Seem inballanced for open sea. Better if it had been without the top level.

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Shameful...we rode by there less than an hour before it launched and the waves were coming over the seawall and I commented to wife that there would be no boats going out today.  Who knows who exactly made the call to launch the boat but it was an idiotic decision, and that's not from hindsight.  I've taken that trip several times, and I wouldn't have put my family on it today.  RIP to those that perished.

Weather must of calmed down quick if the below statement is correct

Cloudy weather at the time of the accident did not pose any danger that would have prompted the coast guard to stop sea voyages, officials said.

A brewing storm in the Pacific was 550 kilometers (340 miles) east of Ormoc and was too far away to affect any part of the Philippine archipelago, according to forecasters. They said winds in the Ormoc region were not strong enough to whip up dangerous waves.

Take it however you want.  If you cannot see that the chop is too much for that boat, then maybe you should stay where you are and report from there.