Withdrawing Stirling From Pi Atm's?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I heard it from many sources so if you were planning to bring in stacks of cash then you should check that law out.

A little light reading for the OP :thumbsup:

http://www.philippineconsulate.com.au/bringing-currency-into-the-philippines.html

It's from the OZ consulate but it refers to the PI Law.

JP  :tiphat:

Morning all  :morning1:

There's-a-chance.
Posted
Posted

Although I live in Cyprus I still Bank in the UK. If I withdraw anything other than Stg from my bank account when travelling abroad my bank gives me a pretty poor rate of exchange and then charges me a foriegn commission fee to boot.

Soooh 1/ Can I withdraw Stg. in the PI's?

2/ If not, what is the most favourable currency to bring with me when I visit please? 

Thanks in anticipation,

There's-a-chance.

I sometimes draw cash at a BPI atm using my UK debit card. I have found the rate to be favourable to the current exchange. However, there are two charges to my account totalling £6.80 for the privilege. This is with a HSBC current account.

Thanks for that virginprune, that's my point exactly, my UK Bank does the same and I resent the fact that it stripes me for accessing my own money.

PS Oh by the way what is a BPI please?

jon1
Posted
Posted

BPI, Bank of Philippine Islands is one of the largest banks. The other large banks are CDO and MetroBank. 

There's-a-chance.
Posted
Posted

I heard it from many sources so if you were planning to bring in stacks of cash then you should check that law out.

A little light reading for the OP :thumbsup:

http://www.philippineconsulate.com.au/bringing-currency-into-the-philippines.html

It's from the OZ consulate but it refers to the PI Law.

JP  :tiphat:

Morning all  :morning1:

Good morning from Cyprus.....Thanks for that JP very usefull..........and as for bringing in stacks of cash...I wish! I'm just a poor old pensioner.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Good morning from Cyprus.....Thanks for that JP very usefull..........and as for bringing in stacks of cash...I wish! I'm just a poor old pensioner.

:hystery:  It's OK that makes you Normal like most of us  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

NO .......NO,,,,,, NO,,,,

you cant withdraw other country currency out of ATM here,,

except if YOUR A CITIBANK PHILIPPIPNES card holder at a CITIBANK ATM

then and onlythen  you can w/d either peso or dollar, this info is based as of 2 years ago, so it could been changed

i am bob
Posted
Posted

There are lots of remittance companies out there you can use to send yourself the cash you need and have better rates than the banks. Some you need to have your money delivered to them on cash and others you can access online while sending yourself lots of cash!!!

I prefer using a company in Canada (and I believe Brit-owned) called WorldRemit... I access them online, send myself cash and pay for it all either using a credit card or by accessing directly into my bank account (securely) via my bank card. I can pick up the same cash at a multiple of sites including the Lhuillier shops (both M or Cebuana), BDO, Metrobank,LBC,PSBank, or Palawan Pawnshops. It's almost immediately available - sometimes less than 5 minutes from sending it. Or you can have it delivered to you... Deposited into your bank account - see the banks listed above for "instant" deposit or any other bank on next day deposit... If you have a Globe or Smart Mobile Money account, you can send your money there as well - or even just send a load for a phone... Globe, Smart or Sun...

Now a lot of people have heard me repeatedly saying this is the one to use. And I believe it!!! It's the one that beats the others on every category... I want to be anywhere in the Philippines and, as long as i can access the internet, i can send myself money at the best possible rates and have access to that money as fast as possible. Some other companies say I can't send money to myself... Some take 3 days out more for my cash to get there... Some deal with only one or two deposit points or require a local bank account at the point of pick-up... Some have ridiculous minimums or maximums on what you can send... And others charge very scary rates!!! I have found a couple companies that also offer all these points but WR always came out just a little bit better than the others... When I find a company that does good, I have no problems pushing for them... But remember! This is what's available if used from Canada... Check to see what they offer for services from your country... It may be different!

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

WorldRemit fees are identical to me using my UK debit card at atm. My debit card gives me a slightly better rate. The advantage of wr is I can send over up to £3000 per transaction.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
There are lots of remittance companies out there you can use to send yourself the cash

This is all good, but can the cash be in Stirling?  Of in Canadian Dollars?  Or is it only for Pesos and US$?  I ask because the thread is about getting cash of a different currency.

• Like 2

There's-a-chance.
Posted
Posted

There are lots of remittance companies out there you can use to send yourself the cash

This is all good, but can the cash be in Stirling?  Of in Canadian Dollars?  Or is it only for Pesos and US$?  I ask because the thread is about getting cash of a different currency.

Noted Dave Hounddriver thanks, time for my five eggs, I see where i am bob is going with this. I have checked out TransferWise Money Transfer and I am content with the service they have provided me with in the past and their exchange rate is good. I don't believe they can send money at the drop of a hat as i.a.b's favoured company does, however, for that service if I were desparate I guess I would be compelled to use an ATM and bite the bullet regards extra charges/lesser exchange rate. I will research opening a Bank Account in the PI's. to complete the circle.