Santiago City, Isabela Some Back Ground Information Anyone?

There's-a-chance.
Posted
Posted

Santiago City, Isabela is my destination in the PI's and the home town of my g/f. Does anyone have any local knowledge of that area please?

Car hire/car and driver/public transport. I'd like to  get around a bit and do some travelling with my g/f.

Places worth visiting?

Any drawbacks/crime rates and the like......oh and the good bits too!

Thanks  in anticipation,

There's-a-chance.

Hello Theres a chance!

Chris, above, has introduced me. I have a house in Aglipay around 30 minutes from Santiago. I currently live and work in Abu Dhabi and my wife and I will retire to the house in around 4 years. Our main town is Santiago and I love the place.

You have the new Robinsons Mall, nice hotels including Charinas, bars, again Charinas grill or big brothers and a few I have not visited yet. You can get anything there and it is not too overcrowded.

We usually use the uncles of my wife to get around or get a tricycle or van. Transport is good and you will manage to get around.

Do you know where you will be staying and when you will settle?

Happy to share my experiences with you any time.

Paul

Santiago City, Isabela is my destination in the PI's and the home town of my g/f. Does anyone have any local knowledge of that area please?

Car hire/car and driver/public transport. I'd like to  get around a bit and do some travelling with my g/f.

Places worth visiting?

Any drawbacks/crime rates and the like......oh and the good bits too!

Thanks  in anticipation,

There's-a-chance.

Hello Theres a chance!

Chris, above, has introduced me. I have a house in Aglipay around 30 minutes from Santiago. I currently live and work in Abu Dhabi and my wife and I will retire to the house in around 4 years. Our main town is Santiago and I love the place.

You have the new Robinsons Mall, nice hotels including Charinas, bars, again Charinas grill or big brothers and a few I have not visited yet. You can get anything there and it is not too overcrowded.

We usually use the uncles of my wife to get around or get a tricycle or van. Transport is good and you will manage to get around.

Do you know where you will be staying and when you will settle?

Happy to share my experiences with you any time.

Paul

Paul Hello,

Thanks for that, Santiago sounds good. At the moment I am planning a trip to that area as a 'Looksee' with a view to me and the g/f being swallows and migrating to the PI's to escape the cold Cyprus winters. After that who knows, I am pretty well set up here it's a good life, I have land and trees to take care of which we both enjoy.

I'd be happy to meet up with you. I'll keep you posted on my travel plans.

Kind Regards,

There's-a-chance.
Posted
Posted

Ooops Sorry I'd like to make some replies to other members who have posted on this topic but I seem to keep cocking-up this 'multiquote' thing ......I am going to get some fresh air, give myself a good talking to and read the tutorial again. (It's still the morning here in Cyprus so my mistakes are not alcohol related.)

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

(It's still the morning here in Cyprus so my mistakes are not alcohol related.)

That'll change when you get beer here :hystery:

post-2148-0-64071800-1435910771_thumb.jppost-2148-0-22757600-1435910792_thumb.gipost-2148-0-08471800-1435910849_thumb.jp

Kidding of Course but things are a little different here sometimes

JP :tiphat:  

Ah the things we say to make people welcome :thumbsup:

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

I have been around quite a bit. Lived long term in Saudi and while there was going back and forth to Sri Lanka. I have lived in Australia, born there, USA, UK, etc....Philippines now almost 10 years.

San Miguel Pale Pilsen or the slightly upmarket one called San Mig Premium, must be icy cold, are 2 of the finest beers I have had. I can't stand the light one and the Premium is not widely available. When I'm here in the province I will text our local sari sari shop to put 2 bottles in the up section freezer, so by 5 pm they are really cold, so I take a stroll down there are will drink 1-2 there at the shop.

This gives me a 30-40 minute break fro home and also solves the sometimes sticky problem of having a drink and not including family members. When you first arrive it is normal to have drinks with them, but when you live here you will not want to do that on a daily basis. Therefore for the same reason I tend not to drink at home, unless on a rare occasion I might have a bottle of red wine going, which they don't like and I will drink that over 3 or even 4 days.

• Like 1

There's-a-chance.
Posted
Posted

I have travelled from I locos Sur around the island by way of Vigan, Laoag, Pagudpud, Pamplona, Tabuk, Tinglayan, Sagada, Banaue, Baguio, then home to Candon City. I think for me the best part of the entire trip was Sagada and not to far from Isabella. In Sagada there are rice terraces, caves, hanging coffins, clean accommodations and clean air. I rented 2 sixteen passenger vans and 4 drivers for the trip. We had 10 in each van including drivers. The costs were very low in the Mountain Province as I was never present when the wifes family negotiated room prices. On average we were paying about $3 per night per person, and the drivers slept in the vans, their choice to keep an eye on the contents. The meals were also a very low price eating where the locals eat as there are not any other choices.

I have travelled from I locos Sur around the island by way of Vigan, Laoag, Pagudpud, Pamplona, Tabuk, Tinglayan, Sagada, Banaue, Baguio, then home to Candon City. I think for me the best part of the entire trip was Sagada and not to far from Isabella. In Sagada there are rice terraces, caves, hanging coffins, clean accommodations and clean air. I rented 2 sixteen passenger vans and 4 drivers for the trip. We had 10 in each van including drivers. The costs were very low in the Mountain Province as I was never present when the wifes family negotiated room prices. On average we were paying about $3 per night per person, and the drivers slept in the vans, their choice to keep an eye on the contents. The meals were also a very low price eating where the locals eat as there are not any other choices.

Mike in Canada, very interesting, thank you for that a memorable trip I'm sure.

All the Best

There's-a-chance.
Posted
Posted

Have you been to the Philippines before? Privately owned public transportation is everywhere. I lived over 2 years in the Philippines without owning a car and didn't really miss it that much. Privately owned transportation is everywhere. Motorized tricycles, jeepney's and taxis for local travel and buses for long distance travel. The better bus lines have aircon, wifi and show movies. And it is inexpensive.

Have you been to the Philippines before?

Yes once before earthdome back in the 60's Subic Bay. I was in the Royal Navy, my ship was there for a week or so. I believe it is a very different place these days but back then it was a wonderful learning curve for a young man. I had a fantastic time.

• Like 1