Is The Philippines For Me

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
How long has it took you to think yes i am home,

I came for a vacation back in 2011 to see if I liked the reality as much as I liked my 1992 memories....  I was in Cebu for 2 weeks and did NOT want to go back to Texas.  I knew I was fine here.  I made a 5 year plan to pay off all my debt and accidentally got it done in 1 year.  I moved over on Valenties Day 2013.  So about 2.5 years so far. 

I do miss seeing my kids (both grown and have their own families), but I do not miss the rat race. I went back to the US last year for a 1 month visit and was uncomfortable the whole time I was there. I enjoyed visiting family but it was ceetainly only a visit!    :tiphat:

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Multi vitamins with iron will also help with a cold.

Use extreme caution!!

Women lose blood each month so they need to replenish their body's iron.  Men, on the other hand,

There’s increasing evidence from population, genetic, lab and animal studies that iron accumulation over the years may contribute to conditions such as atherosclerosis and diabetes, and that iron may speed up the aging process in general. Iron can be toxic to the nervous system and has been linked to a variety of neurological conditions, from strokes to Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.

http://www.berkeleywellness.com/supplements/minerals/article/good-and-bad-iron

So when we look around and see some guys who look much younger and some who look so much older, we know who has been taking vitamins with iron  :hystery:

• Like 3

fred
Posted
Posted

Well said John.. You will be back before you know it!!

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

Hmmm... threads like this puts some doubts about my future plans in the Philippines...  I have only experienced the Philippines as a tourist, 2 weeks at a time, and I love it so far, but still don't know if I could do without some of the western luxuries, specifically:

hot water - can't take cold showers...

toilet paper - still don't know how they get by with a bucket of water and scooper...

reliable electricity - I think I could cope with the occasional brown outs, but not sure...

Like most of you recommend, I guess I will have to live there for about a year... I hope I love it as much as you all...

• Like 2

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted

"Biggest problem I have is perpetual sickness like colds and such"

If you can find a cheap supply of rubbing alcohol it might be worth a go. Get a pump squirt bottle and you're all set. I use the stuff several times a day. Seems to have drastically reduced my cold/flu episodes.

Multi vitamins with iron will also help with a cold.

True, I always stir the sugar in my coffee with a proper spoon, or in lack thereof, a rusty nail.

Voila! Vitamins, carbons and iron!

Seems to work great against bigger bugs, ex. no croc ever bit me.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Right boys and girls, you think you have made your mind up and you are ready to make one of the biggest changes to your life and then you make that move,

Are you there yet, or have not even thought about it, or was this change one of the biggest mistakes you have ever made other then marring your ex ( that lat bit is a joke )

You read about a few who hate the Phils and cant wait to leave the place but what about the others who think its fantastic, its Home ,

Hey guys,

I will try to answer Steve's questions by another question.  Is living in the Philippines a lesser of two evils?  Many of us are quite fed up with our home country.  Or your wife/GF could not adjust to the foreign ways and it's making life more miserable, even if you have all the western luxuries.

I think adjustments or adapting to new and strange culture will always be a work in progress.  Some of us failed and flew back empty handed with no love life and perhaps, hating life as well.  

Choices, choices......it's all subjective, depending on your mood at the moment.  Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Right boys and girls, you think you have made your mind up and you are ready to make one of the biggest changes to your life and then you make that move,

Are you there yet, or have not even thought about it, or was this change one of the biggest mistakes you have ever made other then marring your ex ( that lat bit is a joke )

You read about a few who hate the Phils and cant wait to leave the place but what about the others who think its fantastic, its Home ,

Hey guys,

I will try to answer Steve's questions by another question.  Is living in the Philippines a lesser of two evils?  Many of us are quite fed up with our home country.  Or your wife/GF could not adjust to the foreign ways and it's making life more miserable, even if you have all the western luxuries.

I think adjustments or adapting to new and strange culture will always be a work in progress.  Some of us failed and flew back empty handed with no love life and perhaps, hating life as well.  

Choices, choices......it's all subjective, depending on your mood at the moment.  Respectfully -- Jake

This is quite true,some days I love it here some days ###########

• Like 4

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
hot water - can't take cold showers... toilet paper - still don't know how they get by with a bucket of water and scooper... reliable electricity - I think I could cope with the occasional brown outs, but not sure...

Small water heaters are easily available & pretty cheap.  They heat the shower water great.

All the grocery stores sell toilet paper - I even see a lot of Filipinos buying it these days.

Electricity.... well 2 out of 3 ain't bad ha ha  Really it depends on your location.

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

hot water - can't take cold showers... toilet paper - still don't know how they get by with a bucket of water and scooper... reliable electricity - I think I could cope with the occasional brown outs, but not sure...

Small water heaters are easily available & pretty cheap.  They heat the shower water great.

All the grocery stores sell toilet paper - I even see a lot of Filipinos buying it these days.

Electricity.... well 2 out of 3 ain't bad ha ha  Really it depends on your location.

Even my sari sari store has 3 levels of toilet paper... Teddy bear soft, regular soft 2-ply, and large grit sandpaper... Water heaters are fantastic - unless you live in an apartment like mine where you have to run an extension cord through the shower area and out the door to the kitchen so it can be plugged in... Hmmm... Tim, you were right! That last part is an electricity issue!!!

;D