Is The Philippines For Me

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I am certainly going to try and change anything here - I know some expats that drove themselves crazy trying.

I really never had to adapt to anything, because where I live is pretty good.    I have said before though that the loud music just kills me.  I have not been able to get used to it.  I have moved twice because of lousy neighbors.  Dogs, roosters, traffic, no problem, but turn your damn music down ha ha!  :tiphat: 

.. and my wife can't stand the barking dogs... what you gonna do?    :tiphat:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

. and my wife can't stand the barking dogs... what you gonna do?   

:hystery: post-2148-0-02722800-1440144358_thumb.jp Move again I guess.  :hystery:  Oooops sorry.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I like the places around Ayalya Mall and IT Park, but not much else around Cebu City itself. I would love to find a nice place in the province, but apart from places on Bohol and areas around Panglao the luxuries (read: warm shower and proper toilet) seem to go down hill quite quickly.
That's EASY to solve. Much harder to solve geting ok internet in the boondogs. 
If you're from Manhattan and sell your very basic 1 bedroom apartment for $500k and parlay that into a housing situation in the Philippines, you're going to be able to build yourself a mansion
I saw a mansion for sale for 10 million pesos INCLUDING a HUGE piggery. I understand they sell it cheap, because they have built it just beside the huge piggery!!!  :1 (103):    

Just an idea:  Buy it, thorn down the piggery and wait until the smell go away...   :mocking: 

We all know and have experienced that living in the Philippines means... - Noise ... no privacy whatsoever! You can get Vidioke, cats, dogs, neighbors, construction sounds or anything any time!
That's easy to solve  - just move far enough from neighbours   :)    I will.   
- No infrastructure ... who hasn't walked between cars coz there was no where else to go? When it rains, MUD ever where! Broken concrete, pot holes and you name it
Yes, kind of. No cars to walk between in the boondogs  :)  but very bad roads in many cases. Much improced though in SOME places, concrete baranggay roads financed with Japanese (?) money. 
brown outs
If living rural, that can be solved to by having own electric production (backup or regularly).  
Why not try to adapt back home??
Most of the year it's to cold    :) 
  • Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

. and my wife can't stand the barking dogs... what you gonna do?   

:hystery: attachicon.gifmoving_van.jpg Move again I guess.  :hystery:  Oooops sorry.

Tomorrow is moving day actually.  Not for noise.... we just built a place on uncle's land and will no longer pay rent  :tiphat:

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Tomorrow is moving day actually.  Not for noise.... we just built a place on uncle's land and will no longer pay rent 

post-2148-0-71766600-1440163456_thumb.gipost-2148-0-53670600-1440163489.jpg Atta boy  :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:  :)

• Like 1

Dolby
Posted
Posted

I just came back from Abreeza mall here in Davao.

Why did I go there?

Well, they IT Park here seems to have a party! What does that has to do with me going to Abreeza Mall ha?

They were testing their LOUD SPEAKERS for about two hours by pounding something called music! Then, they went quiet but  re-started it again. I had no clue where it was coming from? Even the neighbors were questioning it.

So, I decided to leave the house and take the wife to NCCC mall until the noise subsides. I could have some Americano and she could do her chocolate cake. It's her delight.

Over there, it was so noisy and so many people that I said to her, let's take a taxi and go to Abreeza Starbucks. Of course, her eyes lit up coz that's THE place to go. So, we went.

There was lots of people and no AC in that Mall :) Hey, it's cheaper to them!

We spent few hours there and NOW back, the pounding still there! I guess, I'd have to contend with it till may be 10 PM like last night :)

Anybody want to ask, Who the hell gave them the license? Go ahead ask and see if you can get an answer :)

See Bob what I mean by noise? Oh... I didn't tell you about the cats mew at night or the neighbor who's building a new HOUSE inside his since last year! :)

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted (edited)

We often hear kerioki here but it was much worse where we lived before. There were people doing kerioki

at 5am!

Edited by Richieboy67

Dolby
Posted
Posted

Actually, I came here to stay but after 6 months of daily search for a place to live, I said to myself, why on earth do I have to do this?

Initially, I searched for rentals around what I am paying ... 18,000 P/month ... no luck!

Then I searched for double the price ... no luck.

Then I tripled it ... no luck either!

Then I said, let me buy one ... no luck!! That's when I realized why foreigners do build their homes.

You will either find these places on top of eachother, tiny, dog in cage outside neighbor?, up to the sky jail doors? no plumbing (one common outside green canal), close to tricycles (noise galore), no sound insulation (what's that?) and very expensive (more than a much better house in the US).

Some agents told me that the landlord doesn't like foreigners coz they would ask for water heater! Heck, how about just a power outlet in the bathroom??

I now know Davao much better than my Filipina wife. I even showed her the online map of where the flood areas are :)

gusincebu
Posted
Posted

So ... after visiting here on an annual basis for 7 years i hit retirement age and moved here 3 years ago. The relationship i had nurtured for those 7 yrs immediately hit the dust, so i have spent the last 3 yrs here as a single guy ( with benefits ) , well a darn sight more benefits than i would have had back in Australia.

Just had a month in Thailand to research a possible move there as I have nothing to hold me here . Kinda thought I,d hit a brickwall here and the main benefit of Thailand seems to be family. My oldest daughter lives there ..my nephew lives in Singapore but has an office and condo in Bkk. On this trip, my sister, visiting her son, in Singapore, so they flew up to catch up. My brother and his wife just happened to be in Bkk for medical stuff, so, we hooked up. My son and gf flew up from Perth Oz ... No one EVER mentions visiting me in the Philippines !

The pro,s n cons of Phils v Thai are well documented ..food / infrastructure / language etc etc but just to add a few .. its soooo quiet ! Virtually no roosters, videoke machines and noisy motorbikes, thanks to a major crackdown on any modified exhaust system .

Im a big fan of the " bum gun " and u find it hard to find a toilet with out one.

Given all that ..the political system is dodgy with the military in control, visa system is crap also, and if u think some Filipino,s dont like foreigners ..Thais are 10 x worse.

Well, Im back in Manila, waiting for my connecting flight to Cebu .. in an overcrowded , grubby, disorganized gate waiting area. And I felt quite comfortable with it ..huh ? But, .. there's a decision to be made , and Im bugga'd if I know what to do. Have I already got too confortable in this place to make a move ?

To be continued ..............

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

It's hard for me to understand the obsession with Cebu. Cebu City, Lapu Lapu, Mactan. When the COL, cost of living is the highest in the Philippines and the reports keep coming back about pollution and over population. I have 2 friends living 70 km south at Argao, and the reports are very good.

Cebu City and Baguio are 2 of the most talked about places in the Philippines and I found both of them to be among the worst. Baguio is freezing cold and totally overcrowded with a horrible traffic flow problem. Cebu City, high priced rental, way over my head.

What is it about Cebu? The women? They are very beautiful, a bit conservative, yes, I have known a few. But is that the reason a lot of people automatically flock down there.

I'm not promoting another area.  But if I was looking around I know I could find better places.