Is The Philippines For Me

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Heck, how about just a power outlet in the bathroom??
That's dangerous. Extra dangerous in wet rooms. Most electric in Phils aren't wired as they are suppoused to.
What is it about Cebu? The women? They are very beautiful, a bit conservative, yes, I have known a few. But is that the reason a lot of people automatically flock down there.
I doubtt that's the reason, because a big part of them I know, who live in Cebu, are from Mindanao and Leyte   :)  they have moved to Cebu to work.
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I just came back from Abreeza mall here in Davao.

Why did I go there?

Well, they IT Park here seems to have a party! What does that has to do with me going to Abreeza Mall ha?

They were testing their LOUD SPEAKERS for about two hours by pounding something called music! Then, they went quiet but  re-started it again. I had no clue where it was coming from? Even the neighbors were questioning it.

So, I decided to leave the house and take the wife to NCCC mall until the noise subsides. I could have some Americano and she could do her chocolate cake. It's her delight.

Over there, it was so noisy and so many people that I said to her, let's take a taxi and go to Abreeza Starbucks. Of course, her eyes lit up coz that's THE place to go. So, we went.

There was lots of people and no AC in that Mall :) Hey, it's cheaper to them!

We spent few hours there and NOW back, the pounding still there! I guess, I'd have to contend with it till may be 10 PM like last night :)

Anybody want to ask, Who the hell gave them the license? Go ahead ask and see if you can get an answer :)

See Bob what I mean by noise? Oh... I didn't tell you about the cats mew at night or the neighbor who's building a new HOUSE inside his since last year! :)

Hmmm... I guess you don't keep up with what's happening... It's the 30th Kadayawan Festival - the biggest festival south of Cebu's Sinulog! Many stores are closed until Tuesday to allow for the partying!

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Actually, I came here to stay but after 6 months of daily search for a place to live, I said to myself, why on earth do I have to do this?

Initially, I searched for rentals around what I am paying ... 18,000 P/month ... no luck!

Then I searched for double the price ... no luck.

Then I tripled it ... no luck either!

Then I said, let me buy one ... no luck!! That's when I realized why foreigners do build their homes.

You will either find these places on top of eachother, tiny, dog in cage outside neighbor?, up to the sky jail doors? no plumbing (one common outside green canal), close to tricycles (noise galore), no sound insulation (what's that?) and very expensive (more than a much better house in the US).

Some agents told me that the landlord doesn't like foreigners coz they would ask for water heater! Heck, how about just a power outlet in the bathroom??

I now know Davao much better than my Filipina wife. I even showed her the online map of where the flood areas are :)

Were you pricing daily vacation rentals? Was your agent showing you the squatter's area? there are areas here like you describe... But the rents run very cheap and are often P5000 or less... P10-12000 will start you in a midrange subdivision - pool, gate guard, and furnished at that! Or if you want something that is high end and towers over must homes? One here in Central Park just rented fully furnished at P25000... High end subdivisions with your own pool, furnished, security at both gate and roving, 350 sq meter yard, etc? Saw one last week for P32,000... Most will probably ask around P40k though... The big thing is don't use an agent!!! They will just see the Pesos... As for noise? City bylaw says the commercial karaoke shut down by 10pm... Most midrange and all upper range subdivisions will also enforce this for private use if you are disturbing the neighbors... Here in Central Park, it is an open subdivision but either your neighbors will let you know (and call in the law if not turned down) or its a big party where everyone is invited and all enjoy! Even then usually the noise is done by 10pm...

If you need to use the cr? You had best find one or go somewhere far away from the street - like the back of an open lot where no one can see you... There are bylaws against this... Same with smoking in public (a no-no in Davao), walking with open beer drinking, overly loud motorcycles, and many more...

Ah, yes, the dreaded flood area... Based on the areas that were flooded by an extremely high storm surge of 20 footheavys... These not only hit the coast but traveled up the 2 rivers in Talomo and flooded much of that area... Now there are very high walls along the rivers so this doesn't happen again... Another more recent issue was flash flooding from the hills surrounding Davao proper... This was found to be mainly from open mining that had removed entire hills and small mountains resulting in heavy being diverted away from the rivers and into parts of the city instead... Open mining is now banned in Davao (which includes a very large area outside the city proper), berms have been built to redirect water flow back to the rivers, and clear cutting in certain areas is banned. Yes, there are some areas that may flood in extreme weather... Even here, I've seen the streets get 2 inches deep in heavy rain... But then, once the rain stops, the streets clear in 1 or 2 minutes.

Obviously you didn't enjoy your time in Davao. But, by not following the procedures we all have recommended many times on the forum, you end up in the situations you described. If it was as bad as you described, I doubt I would see so many other expats living here as I do!

• Like 1

Dolby
Posted
Posted

Thanks Bob for the comments. At least you tried :)

Was I looking for vacation rentals or furnished? Nope!

I was simply going on Olx website picking up what I think was ok and contact the agent then go.

Initially my search was for any house over 20k pesos. Then I said, let me reduce it down and see. So I searched for un-furnished houses over 8,500 pesos.

And here I am willing to go anywhere in Davao and wouldn't mind 2-3-4 bedrooms. As long as no driving is possible. No luck [emoji1]

City ordinance?? Do you really think law matters here? :)

I got married recently and the judge at The Hall of JUSTICE demanded 1500 p for his service :) I declined and left then went to another judge who didn't ask for money!

As for the ordinance thing ...

I knew of this no noise by 10 pm ordinance so, I waited till 10:30 pm. No let down. I asked my Filipina wife dial 911 to complain of noise rattling our windows :)

Do you know what she was told?

"Mam... They have permit from the mayor's office til ... 2 am"!!

In another word, everybody's windows will keep on rattling til 2 am ... according to Rodrigo Duterte. The mayor who almost everybody here wanted as president!

Once my Filipina heard his name she said: that's fine then since he said it :)

Shhhhh... Don't go against this guy even even though he's incharge of residents [emoji2]

Mind you, I had my ear plugs with me for such occasions [emoji12]

CR wise .. What? Never seen anybody urinating on Mc Arthur hi way? It's next to the IT Park by S&R [emoji1]

Heck, I don't even think there is a place where they can't. All you need is a wall?

When I was living in a condo like you, it was tiny but didn't have most of the things I have been complaining about. However, one had to accept whatever crappy furniture they rent you and whatever price they quote you. One day though, there was no water in the building coz the ONLY pump they had broke. I packed and went to Seda hotel to escape it.

Gated communities are just a lie. Don't believe you are safer there or can have better amenities. A case of big companies building chicken coops any which way they like coz they know, it would sell!

Wait though ... let me state some positives ... Hmmm ... thinking ... Oh... One can go out in flip flops if he wanted to so, come and retire here!But why so many foreigners return back home? [emoji2]

Dolby
Posted
Posted

But why so many foreigners return back home?

Of the ones I know:

20% sickness and they want to be treated in their own country.

40% money and they go back to work as they do not like the lifestyle here at $1,000 a month (its not for everyone).

20% wife and family, usually young family and they want to raise them in another country.

20% because they just hate Philippines.  (Sounds like you may fit in this category?)

Keep in mind that for every one who goes back for good, there are 5 more who stay here until the end.  So that means about 2 out of 60 people go back where they came from because they just hate Philippines.  Pretty good numbers I'd say.

Happy to help.  Any more questions I can answer for ya  :tiphat:

When I first arrived here I met an European guy on Skype. He was home and I was asking him, "Why did you go back"? He said, "I can't live there"!

He must have been from those 20%!

Dude... the bottom line is this...

Those who stay here .. do it because they have no choice for some reason or another. No choice but to adapt, accept and embrace what they call 'culture'!

I was merely inquiring ... what is it that makes somebody stay here? I couldn't find why and listed my findings?

NOBODY said otherwise except may be Bob... but he's new like I was :)

Nobody is willing to hear the truth ... you said that one right!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Of the ones I know:

40% money and they go back to work as they do not like the lifestyle here at $1,000 a month (its not for everyone).

20% wife and family, usually young family and they want to raise them in another country.

20% because they just hate Philippines.  (Sounds like you may fit in this category?)

Keep in mind that for every one who goes back for good, there are 5 more who stay here until the end.  So that means about 2 out of 60 people go back where they came from because they just hate Philippines.  Pretty good numbers I'd say.

When I first arrived here I met an European guy on Skype. He was home and I was asking him, "Why did you go back"? He said, "I can't live there"!

Those who stay here .. do it because they have no choice for some reason or another. No choice but to adapt, accept and embrace what they call 'culture'!

I was merely inquiring ... what is it that makes somebody stay here? I couldn't find why and listed my findings?

Well my friend, you are of course entitled to your Opinion and I guess we have now heard it.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Some very interesting points Dolby. And while I do not agree with all of them, as the old saying goes "where there is smoke etc." Just a couple of my thoughts:

Gated communities are just a lie.

True but False also. I have a bro in law that lives in a gated community. The guard is usually sleeping, and if he is on patrol he leaves the "gate" up. Like most cars here my windows are heavily tinted, no way you can see the "kano" driving with out I roll down my windows. New guard there he has never seen my car before, and zip up goes the gate, no checks what so every. On the other hand my wifes friend lives in BF Home's here, Main security gate we get through with a sticker, second security gate I have to leave my Drivers license with them to gain admittance. CCTV all over the place. A third example is a gated community near downtown (forget the name) The Vice President of the Country (I think it was him, some high up political wonk) wanted to take a short cut through there and was denied admittance. Caused a huge stir in the Newspapers. The security guards and the Guys body guards almost got into a gun fight  :hystery: .........THE MORAL OF THE STORY? It all depends on how much money you have.

what is it that makes somebody stay here?

For me Brother, it was quite easy. My wife of twenty years is from here. I could retire at the age of 55 on my pension with no real measurable drop in my standard of living. If I had not moved here, I would have had to continue to work until at least 62 if not longer to maintain the life style I am comfortable with.

Seriously, I can count on one hand here the things that are not available to me here that I could have in the states. So when you state:

do it because they have no choice for some reason or another
that just doesn't apply in my case, sorry. Fact is I couldn't afford to stay in my country of birth. :cheersty:
  • Like 3

Dolby
Posted
Posted

Of the ones I know:

Well my friend, you are of course entitled to your Opinion and I guess we have now heard it.

Sounds like there is some comradory between some members of this site? :)

Is it a case of you all against the new comer me? :)

That's not a good sign of a PUBLIC forum!

Dolby
Posted
Posted

That means you have no choice which I would agree with 100%! Ops... it's another of my stats!

However, I will not embrace, adapt or accept a 'culture' that promotes what I had listed. What will that make me? Just another person!

That means you have no choice which I would agree with.

Now I have to deal with PLDT and see why my internet is dead slow? Or should I embrace it too?

To each his own and best to all!