Hot Dogs In The Philippines

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have tried several brands of hot dogs here but if I am allowed to say this then I prefer the Purefoods German Franks with Angus !!

they are solid and with barely any oil flooding out ! I just boil them and eat !

mind you they are popular as they are often sold out !!

I will get the German ones with the caveat that it's just for me and Gina, no way am I feeding the extended family deluxe hot dogs.

The Pure Foods Jumbo plumps up a bit when cooked. I like mine over charcoal then I will split the hot dog and cook the insides, I like 'em well done. Up here no decent bread, so if I can get a crunchy pandesal, even if small, I will make 4-5 small sandwiches.

I don't like a small "dog" which shrinks down when cooked.

We do get the famous Vigan Longsanisa up here, bit like a Brat, German Blood Sausage, can be very good. Have it choped up with chopped onion and tomatoe there's already a good amount of garlic included.

Sorry to say none of the above gets close to a Milwaukee Ballpark Brat, curently $12 per single sandwich. Or our original Aussie snags...even the butchers or speciality shops in UK  will do a good sausage....nah, Filipino sausage close but not up to that level.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

:thumbsup: I tried a new way to prepare dogs at the end of June (had to perfect it before the 4th).

Run a BBQ spear long ways through the dog,

Cut to the stick and turn stick cutting about 1/2 inch spiral  the length of dog.

Remove spear and repeat four times with other dogs,  more if you are serving others.

place on grill, wil get the cut spirals and skin crisp and taste wonderful, especially when dress as Chicago dog with sport peppers  

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I prefer the Nathan hot dogs but settle for Bratwurst. They used to sell Nathan hot dogs here but hot anymore. Hot dog stands still have them on their menu but same old story, " sorry sir, not available".

I do miss Weinerschnitzel  ( spell check ) back home. Chili dogs with onions (aka Coney Island), hot dogs and sauerkraut, etc. Oh yeah and I almost forgot to mention how Filipinos prefer ketchup on hot dogs instead of mustard. Oh well, whatever.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have a small plastic container I keep mustard in.  It stays in my purse all the time - you never know when you will run into a hot dog, burger, or sandwich.  Every grocery store here sells mustard but no restuarant serves it  :tiphat:

• Like 4

kalibojerry
Posted
Posted

I have a small plastic container I keep mustard in.  It stays in my purse all the time - you never know when you will run into a hot dog, burger, or sandwich.  Every grocery store here sells mustard but no restuarant serves it  :tiphat:

Good Idea i am going to do that keep some in the car so when I am out and see hot dogs I will be ready 

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

I have a small plastic container I keep mustard in.

Grey poupon of course,  but is it the 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Here in Bacolod, SM has both Purefoods and an imported Aussie brand. Expensive but real beef.

I thought hotdogs were meant to be pork? 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
 My eyes are not so good

You should get that checked out ! 

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
I thought hotdogs were meant to be pork?

Pork preferred, Beef acceptable. Remember JGF this is the Philippines, sacrifices must be made :thumbsup:  :hystery:

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

In the US most companies brag about 100% beef dogs, but I kind of prefer the pork. 

• Like 1