Food And Happiness

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I did 12 in Cambodia back in the early 90's as a UN peacekeeper, and as much as I loved the local food, it was great to get to the mess and have some good old bangers and mash!

I like filipino food, but I'll be interested to see how I go long term. 

• Like 4

Ynot
Posted
Posted

I have no right to add my 10 cents worth yet, because I have not moved to the Philippines, it will be another 24 months before I make that move.   But even so, I must admit that I have yet to  eat a dish that I could call my favourite in the Philippines.  My only experience of foreign foods is Thai (going there for 14 years) and I so like my thai food and their fruits, and based on my experiences so far, in my opinion Thai food is better, tastier and healthier.    But as my Philippines food experience grows, hopefully I will find some filipino favourites.  A note of interest, there are not many filipino restaurants in Perth Western Austalia, there are lots of Chinese, Thai, Indian, Italian, French etc but very few filipino restautrants, I wonder why?? 

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
there are not many filipino restaurants in Perth Western Austalia

News flash for ya Ynot, there are not very many Filipino resturants anywhere. Like I said earlier I am from San Diego California where there is a huge Filipino population. There is 1 really sit down restaurant there (Filipino food) there is a Jolibees and a whole bunch of Turo Turo places (also known as point point joints). There was a Max's chicken there, but it went out of business lololol.

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted
After about 18 months or so, I just noticed a general malaise, just something missing,

You lasted longer than I have on our visits.  My wife is also a great cook on any dishes American or Filipino.  I like most all of them.  But when we visit PI on our six week visits, I last about two weeks in the province before searching for American food.  When all else fails I hit up Jollybees for a burger or dog.  But once we go back to Alabang area,  look out.  Army-Navy here I come cash in hand and how fast can you cook.  After an initial fix I can settle down to all the many choices including good stake houses and any good AM or PI restaruants.  Its all good.  :tiphat:  I didn't get this big being a picky eater :hystery:

• Like 3

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

I eat Filipino food regularly here in Toronto (our preference), and only occasionally have a hankering for North American food.  I was introduced to very well-prepared Filipino food served family style early in our relationship, and little did I know how much I would love it.

I think I first realized how much I missed it when I went to a different city where I could not have a Filipino meal.  That firmed up my resolve to learn family recipes from my mother-in-law, while cooking alongside. 

That had the unintended side benefit of cementing my relationship with her family.  They truly view me as an insider - not just some white guy that married into their family.

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I'm not fond of Filipino food unless my wife makes it. I enjoy her pancit bihon. It has chicken and shrimp in it and crunchy veggies. Chicken adobo is good too, so is her pork sinagan.

When we go out and decide to stop somewhere to eat, she will order her choice and I'll just order some egg rolls. The only place I like is a place they serve BBQ chicken called Mang Inasal. We both ate chicken breasts w/wing and a skewed stick of pork and unlimited rice and Coke for only 384 Pesos total bill. Reminds me of Pollo Loco back home.

The only other place I stop (when alone ) is Mac Donalds for a Quarter Pounder with fries. We do stop at S & R for Pizza and/or hot dogs.

I prefer cooking and eating at home. I do my own cooking.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Bottom line since I have started eating the foods that I am used to, I just seem to be at peace with myself, more satisfied with everyday life.

Now, is this just me?

:cheersty:

The Filipino cuisine is so diverse, with the ancient mariners (Portuguese, Chinese, Middle Eastern, India, etc-etc) bringing over their culture served on a plate or banana leaf.  And then you have variations of the chicken adobo from different province or island groups.  My favorite has always been the ubiquitous halo-halo with a scoop of Magnolia ice cream.  Talk about an orgasmic experience!

A typical drinking session will always have palutan (finger food) mostly made of fried fat and mystery meat on a stick.  Soup number 5 is suppose to be an aphrodisiac but never worked for me.  Slamming San Magoos, used to chase unknown delicacies, will have me in a prone position, farting my heart away while passed out cold.....he, he.

Only in da Philippines.......

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
Petey
Posted
Posted

I love caldaretta and chicken/pork adobo. I dont eat fish at all unless it comes in a tin marked with tuna :) or a batter piece of cod from UK.

I know there is a Filipino eatery in London - ive been there. I also think there is one just north of Midlands.  The place in London was a buffet style, exactly the same as if you were to go to a Filipino gathering. The food was very sub par and there were only 6 dishes and boiled rice. IIRC it was £60 per head. Total disapointment.

I absolutly love Chineese and Indian food, and was hoping that Filipino food could tickle those taste buds.