Canada Pension Question

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

*Sigh*

As I suspected, it gets complicated, so I looked it up on web site and it says:

If you are living outside Canada, you must:

be 65 years old or older
have been a Canadian citizen or a legal resident of Canada on the day before you left Canada, and
have resided in Canada for at least 20 years after turning 18.

By those criteria I quality but how much you wanna bet there are other links to places that will tell me I do NOT qualify.  Oh well.  I will worry about it when I turn 65.

canadamale
Posted
Posted

If you did not have significant residential ties with Canada and you stayed in Canada for less than 183 days in the tax year you may be considered a non- resident.

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

For OAS, to qualify if you no longer are in-country, you must be (1) 65 years of age or older, (2) have been a citizen of Canada or a legal resident of Canada on the day before you left, and (3) have resided in Canada for 20 years after you turned 18 years of age.

Plain and simple, Dave, you would qualify. There are no rejoinders pointing to alternatives for denial.

Really, guys, a quick Google of OAS took me less than 30 seconds to find this info. If you don't qualify under this criteria, there are further options available.

Edited by i am bob

canadamale
Posted
Posted

Muah true I do not turn 65 for another 7 years. Sadly from what I understand, no matter how much I continue to contribute to canada pension I am already eligible for the max. That is unless I have a brain fart and continue working past 65. Then I believe it does increase. The rain is and wind is picking up in Montalban, I just texted the gf to batten down the hatches and stay dry

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

If you did not have significant residential ties with Canada and you stayed in Canada for less than 183 days in the tax year you may be considered a non- resident.

Which, for Canada means you give up non-federal benefits (provincial rebates, provincial medical plans, etc) but not pensions. (Note: GST rebates are considered a provincial consideration) The other big issue is your taxes... Straight 25% taken at source with no tax return required and, once again, no government benefits given. You can apply to have yourself considered as a deemed resident of a province or territory but there are prerequisites that have to be met. I am attempting to do this myself as I am trying to establish a business in Ontario while maintaining residence in the Philippines. If my writing takes off, I'll cancel that idea as I would only be required to pay 3% royalty on a nonresident basis - and the business won't happen any further.

One thing to note: CPP is a pension, OAS is a supplement - neither are deniable due to place of residency once the initial prerequisites are met.

Edited by i am bob
Darn Google auto correct

canadamale
Posted
Posted

All good news for me that is why i so much enjoy reading the posts on this forum

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Just hope you aren't retired CAF... Any amounts you receive gets clawed back off your military pension...

canadamale
Posted
Posted

Not for me the closest I got to the military was a two year stint as a civilian mechanic for the DND at Lancaster Park CFB Edmonton. Fantastic job, spent the final 6 months driving around in the recovery vehicle with a very knowledgeable corporal.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Really, guys, a quick Google of OAS took me less than 30 seconds to find this info.

Must have taken you longer than 30 seconds Bob as I posted the exact same Google search info a full 8 minutes before you posted  :hystery:   But seriously, it was not hard to find the basic information.  It is hard to find all the ifs, ands, buts, and whereevers.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Really, guys, a quick Google of OAS took me less than 30 seconds to find this info.

Must have taken you longer than 30 seconds Bob as I posted the exact same Google search info a full 8 minutes before you posted  :hystery:   But seriously, it was not hard to find the basic information.  It is hard to find all the ifs, ands, buts, and whereevers.

Nah... I forgot to read page 2 before I posted... Hehe!