Angeles City September 2015

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted (edited)

Itenary taking shape, so far week one at Apollonia in Angeles City.

No parties or nights out are planned, simply boring paper work and a dinner or two with a nice being living nearby.

I arrive the 4:th of September an stay 10 days to begin with.

Anyone in the area who wouldn't mind a meet-up and gossip? I am a sponge for info and general good-to-know, and as I probably will be staying in the area for a while, getting to know people is A and O.

Oh, I speak English..

Edited by MikeSwede
  • Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

No parties or nights out are planned, simply boring paper work

Then why go to Angeles City???

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted

The paperwork and my date.

I did not say anything else was out of the question, only that I had nothing planned.

Open for ideas, simply :)

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

I did not say anything else was out of the question, only that I had nothing planned.

Hello Mike,

Being a member of an expat forum is a great way to research and be part of a brotherhood of expats.  We would like to say we've been there, done that but there will always be another slap in the face reality check, even for the veteran traveler, like yourself.  There are many, many innocent places in Angeles City to enjoy the togetherness among your fellow expats.  Actually, I would rather hang out in Angeles City than Manila.  

Enjoy your next adventure Mike!  Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 1

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

Sept is rainy season so make sure where u are staying is not in a floodzone.  There are some good places to eat.  One of the main problems now in Angeles is the street kids.  By law the CANNOT be arrested and they know it so they attack you in broad daylight on Fields Ave and there is nothing u can do but try to hold on to your stuff.  They will stick their hands in your pockets and grab whatever they can.  If you hit them or push them you will end up at station 4 paying out big money to the cops who will keep almost all of it for themselves.  The kids have been known to do this to guys who are 6' 3" and 250LBS.  They have no fear so be careful when walking on fields.  Just say no to the vendors and keep walking.

If you want to meet some Swedes, come up to Subic.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Go "anywhere" else   :)

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Mike there is a VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) there in Angeles. It is an American club, but I know there are a bunch of expats that belong. I know that you can not join, but I am sure that they will at least be able to point you in the right direction (if not invite you to lunch). They have a web page if you google it.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Go "anywhere" else  

Why? Some people associate Angeles as only bars and girls for hire but it's only one area of the city. Manila has a red light district and most cities around the world do too but they are not the whole of the city.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Go "anywhere" else  

Why? Some people associate Angeles as only bars and girls for hire but it's only one area of the city. Manila has a red light district and most cities around the world do too but they are not the whole of the city.

I have been going to Angeles fairly often recently.  It is a fairly easy jaunt from Subic to Angeles (+p368 in tolls) , so we go to the SM mall there every 4-6 weeks.  Now I have found a really good dermatologist there too.  His office is right near Fields and I have to drive down a short section of Fields when I leave.

I have driven in other parts of the city too.  I agree that you should not judge the place based on this one area, but other than going there for these "business" trips, I don't see anything there that would want to make me spend more time there.

• Like 1

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

Mike there is a VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) there in Angeles. It is an American club, but I know there are a bunch of expats that belong. I know that you can not join, but I am sure that they will at least be able to point you in the right direction (if not invite you to lunch). They have a web page if you google it.

I went to Angeles last year and hung out at the VFW almost every night, I stayed next door.  You can meet some nice guys there.  They have a really good food there and was actually taping an episode for the Philippines Food network while I was there.  You don't have to be a member to eat there or have a beer in the lounge.  

• Like 4