Angeles City September 2015

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Mike there is a VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) there in Angeles. It is an American club, but I know there are a bunch of expats that belong. I know that you can not join, but I am sure that they will at least be able to point you in the right direction (if not invite you to lunch). They have a web page if you google it.

I went to Angeles last year and hung out at the VFW almost every night, I stayed next door.  You can meet some nice guys there.  They have a really good food there and was actually taping an episode for the Philippines Food network while I was there.  You don't have to be a member to eat there or have a beer in the lounge.  

Welcome back Brett!  Thanks for the heads up about VFW in Angeles City.  Didn't realize it was open to the public or any veteran of foreign wars.  I still like your signature where two wheels move your soul.  Must be enjoying life now, since you retired from US Air Force recently.  

Like Jack P, you're always flying with wheels up!

Respectfully -- Jake

Edited by Jake
  • Like 1

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted

No parties or nights out are planned, simply boring paper work

Then why go to Angeles City???
The paperwork and my date.

I did not say anything else was out of the question, only that I had nothing planned.

Open for ideas, simply :)

Hello Mike,

Being a member of an expat forum is a great way to research and be part of a brotherhood of expats. We would like to say we've been there, done that but there will always be another slap in the face reality check, even for the veteran traveler, like yourself. There are many, many innocent places in Angeles City to enjoy the togetherness among your fellow expats. Actually, I would rather hang out in Angeles City than Manila.

Enjoy your next adventure Mike! Respectfully -- Jake

Jake, on the spot!

It happens all the time, you go somewhere with a non-existent or in best case vague idea of your destination. First face slap will be your awakening, and I am growing a rougher skin on my cheeks :)

Clearly it seems that Angeles is a work/sleep city and not a tourist destination. Typically (me) this is my starting point - the bull by the horn.

In a few months you will find me in Gensan, the route there I have been told to avoid. And by others, not pay attention to scare crows.

Wits and sense is how we go about, ask people along the road, who lives there and travels.

Exactly like this forum, a place to tap info.

• Like 2

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted

Sept is rainy season so make sure where u are staying is not in a floodzone. There are some good places to eat. One of the main problems now in Angeles is the street kids. By law the CANNOT be arrested and they know it so they attack you in broad daylight on Fields Ave and there is nothing u can do but try to hold on to your stuff. They will stick their hands in your pockets and grab whatever they can. If you hit them or push them you will end up at station 4 paying out big money to the cops who will keep almost all of it for themselves. The kids have been known to do this to guys who are 6' 3" and 250LBS. They have no fear so be careful when walking on fields. Just say no to the vendors and keep walking.

If you want to meet some Swedes, come up to Subic.

Great pointers, thanks!

For the flooding bit, I understand its on a higher level and not prone to flood.

Otherwise, I build one of those walls hehe.

So, Swedes go for the north even there? Stripes never wear out, do they? I am tempted to go around to see the different areas, I suppose there are a lot of local distinctions best enjoyed real life.

I was thinking to wait out september in the Angeles area and when it dries up, get a move on.

I keep an eye on those kids, met their cousins elsewhere :S

• Like 1

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted

No parties or nights out are planned, simply boring paper work

Then why go to Angeles City???
The paperwork and my date.

I did not say anything else was out of the question, only that I had nothing planned.

Open for ideas, simply :)

Go "anywhere" else :)

Now, that is how you make me really going there ;)

• Like 1

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted

Mike there is a VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) there in Angeles. It is an American club, but I know there are a bunch of expats that belong. I know that you can not join, but I am sure that they will at least be able to point you in the right direction (if not invite you to lunch). They have a web page if you google it.

Thank you Scott, I will check it out, and sounds like a good place to hear about where and where not to be.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

You sound a lot like me...  When I hear 'Don't Go There", I ask for directions...!

When you go to GenSan, be extra careful there....  The women don't like to take 'no' for an answer...

:mocking:

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
 When I hear 'Don't Go There", I ask for directions...!  

:cheers: Reminds me of a Yogism  "No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded"  :attention:

• Like 1