The Photo That Could Change A Boys Life

mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)

This puts life hardships into perspective. What a constitution this young boy has. I admire him and feel sure

he will most definately succeed.

Edited by mogo51
  • Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
constitution this young boy has. I admire him and feel sure he will most definately succeed.

he's 9 the constitution is covered when he's 11.

kinda makes you wonder how we don't appreciate what others think is a huge thing.   GOOD FOR THE KID 

• Like 3

lonewolf
Posted
Posted

good for him much luck also

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
"He goes to McDonald's to study because there is no electricity in the food stall."

Probably doesn't hurt that the customers at McD probably give him a few coins and some food now and then.  It may be that he really wants to study, and I hope he does, but I am jaded enough to think of the guys sitting beside the road with signs that say "Will work for food".  In short, it may be just a gimmick that works to get sympathy from passing marks.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

The photo could be enlarged and framed and titled, " Inspiration for education".

I remember a large picture of some very expensive cars parked in an open garage facing out.

The title was " Inspiration for higher education". My sons liked it and they still have it.

Manny Villar worked his way out of Tondo and poverty with determination and built his wealth with his education. He is now a Senator.

Another Filipino boy who became CNN Man of the Year came out of poverty and helped distribute books to the poor kids in the  slums of Manila. His first name is Efren. I forget his last name.

Manny Pacquaio sold bread house to house when he was a child for his mother after his father abandoned them.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

"He goes to McDonald's to study because there is no electricity in the food stall."

Probably doesn't hurt that the customers at McD probably give him a few coins and some food now and then.  It may be that he really wants to study, and I hope he does, but I am jaded enough to think of the guys sitting beside the road with signs that say "Will work for food".  In short, it may be just a gimmick that works to get sympathy from passing marks.

It could be a gimmick and all we can do is believe the story on its merits.

Assuming what the teacher said is real or if it was said at all it appears that it's genuine and the story makes sense to me.

"Daniel is a happy child and also very intelligent. He answers often during class discussions and really gets involved," said one of Daniel's teacher, Rosalina Detuya.

• Like 3

canadamale
Posted
Posted

Hopefully he succeeds in his quest for a better life. If he can stay away from the gangs, drugs, and not get his gf pregnant at 15, he stands a  chance. It is very hard to break out of poverty without a sponsorship.

• Like 4

lonewolf
Posted
Posted

I can be a pessimistic optimus but this I ll take the teacher at her word, its not uncommon for children to have a great desire to learn look at Abraham lincon he wold walk miles for a book and read then after ahard days work on a farm by fire light. this was in a time they started working at the first signs of light til dark. I wish him success

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
It is very hard to break out of poverty without a sponsorship.
And not to many to support.

A clever Filipina - one of very few Filipinos, who can count percent -  got SCHOLARSHIP to High School, but because she is second eldest of 12 kids in an only half hektare farming family, she had to QUIT school and start employment to assist the family to survive...

Later she has managed to start small PROFITABLE businesses twice, but - more distance too - relatives has pressured her to "lend" them not only the profit, but the start capital too  :1 (103):   So she told me she will not bother to start any more business at least as long as she live close to relatives...

Now half of her sibblings have reached work age - but reached geting children age too. So almost all of them have 1 - 2 kids each allready... :1 (103):

Earlier her family counted THREE men sharing a NOT even one person half time work as "working", I don't know if it was she, who managed to kick some of the other's bottoms, but now they have more than full time employments and the half hektare farm is handled by the mother and the not grown up kids, so it's a significant improvement  :thumbsup:  

But their employments are very bad paid, so they have to stop making babies to have even a chance to get out of poverty...

• Like 1