Travel Health Insurance

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Does anyone have any travel insurance companies they have dealt with and like?  We are going to New Zealand over Christmas and we need to have health insurance.  Our sis-in-law mentioned Southern Cross but I was hoping to get a few other recommendations before I start my research.

Thanks!

JGF, your google ads are very smart.  As I type this, and ad for AXA travel insurance popped up!

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I have used southern cross once but mostly use "one cover", https://www.1cover.com.au/?utm_expid=1528-30.2T3yn6oJRe6AuLtbG5Mt0g.0&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.1cover.com.au%2F

Never had to make a claim so who knows? 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Never had to make a claim so who knows? 

Yes, that is the problem isn't it?!

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

If you are only going for a few weeks is it worth it? Just put the premium away and take the punt. It is

very expensive these days.

• Like 1

prodigal1
Posted
Posted

I have been researching this issue myself for my upcoming trip to the PI. If you are more concerned with straight medical coverage as opposed to all the other bells and whistles like trip interruption, stolen items, lost baggage, etc., you might check out GeoBlue. Coverage appears generous at a reasonable price. Another plus is that they have a network of docs and hospitals with which they contract and so they direct bill the service providers rather than reimbursing you after you have paid out of pocket. That seems to be a distinct advantage to me. One of the hospitals in Manila area with which they contract is Makati Medical Center (apparently upscale) so that seems encouraging. In Baguio, where I'll be for most of my stay, they use Sacred Heart.

They are a sort of subcontractor for BCBS.

If you want a policy with the other bells whistles GeoBlue has a sister entity called HTC Travel. Their plans appear comparable to what the rest of the herd offers. I haven't had a chance yet to find out whether they also do direct billing to the providers, but if they do, they might be my choice. If not, I will probably forego the extras and go with the straight medical coverage having the peace of mind that I won't have to pay out of pocket for any major expense.

The only catch in your case is that I'm not sure whether it's available to non US residents.

Has anyone used either of these companies? I would love to hear any feedback.

Best of luck to us both!

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I have been researching this issue myself for my upcoming trip to the PI. If you are more concerned with straight medical coverage as opposed to all the other bells and whistles like trip interruption, stolen items, lost baggage, etc., you might check out GeoBlue. Coverage appears generous at a reasonable price. Another plus is that they have a network of docs and hospitals with which they contract and so they direct bill the service providers rather than reimbursing you after you have paid out of pocket. That seems to be a distinct advantage to me. One of the hospitals in Manila area with which they contract is Makati Medical Center (apparently upscale) so that seems encouraging. In Baguio, where I'll be for most of my stay, they use Sacred Heart.

They are a sort of subcontractor for BCBS.

If you want a policy with the other bells whistles GeoBlue has a sister entity called HTC Travel. Their plans appear comparable to what the rest of the herd offers. I haven't had a chance yet to find out whether they also do direct billing to the providers, but if they do, they might be my choice. If not, I will probably forego the extras and go with the straight medical coverage having the peace of mind that I won't have to pay out of pocket for any major expense.

The only catch in your case is that I'm not sure whether it's available to non US residents.

Has anyone used either of these companies? I would love to hear any feedback.

Best of luck to us both!

Thanks, I will look at that one!

I did some limited research today and several of the companies limit their coverage to clients who reside in the country where the company is.  E.g. if it is an Aussie company they only sell to Aussies travelling abroad, not to an American like me.  However, some do have the coverage, Southern Cross being one of them.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

If you are only going for a few weeks is it worth it? Just put the premium away and take the punt. It is

very expensive these days.

Insurance is all a matter of managing risk and the cost associated with that.  When I was young, single and had good medical insurance that also covered me abroad, I never bought it.  In fact, I don't think I have ever bought it.

Now I have a family and no medical insurance.  I currently self insure in the Philippines, although I am planning to buy medical insurance this year.  I need to check that angle before I buy the travel insurance, in case travel insurance is an option there.

The main reason for the insurance is medical.  If I or one of my family members were to have a major medical problem when travelling in a Western country, the costs could be enormous.  Enough to wipe out all of my retirement money.  I'm not sure how true this is with travel to New Zealand, but I definitely will have heavy coverage when we visit the U.S.  The whole healthcare system there is set up to drain your pockets as fast as possible, if you don't have insurance.  I don't think Obamacare changed this for someone like me.

The secondary reason is for flight related insurance.  If the baby was to get sick right before we are scheduled, I might have to cancel or change plans.  Budget tickets are very inflexible these days and at the very least you have to pay a change fee.  The change fee on my Singapore Air tickets is $100, I think, times 4 tickets, $400.  And, if fares change, you have to pay the difference in fares.

Today my research has shown I can probably get a good policy from a reputable company, covering all 4 of us for the 38 day duration of our trip, for $300-$400.  I will gladly pay it, for peace of mind.

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
Now I have a family and no medical insurance. I currently self insure in the Philippines, although I am planning to buy medical insurance this year.

Please keep us posted on your search.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
you might check out GeoBlue

They ask for a U.S. zip code to get the quote started so I assume they are only for U.S. residents.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I think Southern Cross is looking the best right now.  NZ company, rated A by S&P, seems solid.  I can get a family policy for about $303 for our 39 day trip.  The approximate benefits are below.  200,000 NZD is about 134.000 USD.  I found some other Philippines based policies but the coverage is very low and you can't get an online quote.  They have 2,500,000 peso max medical and that is only about 55,000 USD.

Southern Cross' upgraded policy includes baggage and theft insurance.  The cost jumps from 303 to 435..  That high premium tells me they are getting a lot of theft claims.  I think it is an easy scam to claim something was stolen, as discussed on a few threads.

Schedule of Benefits

Below is a summary of the benefits for Visiting New Zealand. Some of the section limits have sub limits for particular types of claims. Please read the Policy Wording for more detail.

Schedule of Benefits Maximum cover per person per year in NZ$ Excess
(applies per event) Section 1 Medical & Evacuation* $200,000 $100 Section 2 Changes to Your Journey* $50,000 $100 Section 3 Personal Accident* $20,000 $100 Section 4 Personal Liability $250,000 $100 Section 5 Rental Vehicle Excess $2,000 $100 Section 6 Cash & Travel Documents $1,000 $100 Section 7 Baggage & Personal Items* Nil n/a

*Sub limits apply

• Like 1