Is It A Safe Place To Be

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

regarding the thief he was shown the video and he handed back the property, thing is he was a school buddy and a drinking friend of many years and knowing the reasons why he did it the ( daughter ill in hospital and desperate for money and too ashamed to ask for help )

cousin said forgive and forget ! and he helped his friend with his daughter anyway !

• Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted
higher walls and barred windows are simply a challenge. It will surely surprise you when you first see a filipino scampering over a 14 foot high wall in 14 seconds, or when he puts his hand through your open, (but barred) window to snatch your keys off the nightstand so he can unlock the door and walk in unhindered.
I have said in some other topic - DON'T have high walls of SECURITY reasons, because they are BETTER for the THIEVES, because they don't stop the thieves to get in, but stop the NEIGHBOURS from SEE the thieves breaking in...

I have mixed feelings concerning iron bars.  To have any real use of them, you need to have very expensive doors. Doors are the most popular entrance for thieves anyway, because it's less remarkable to walk through doors and easier to carry out things through doors.

Pros: Make it harder for thieves to get in.

Cons: But make it much harder for tennants to get OUT at fires.  (Plus bars disturb nice nature views, which I plan to have  :)

How about burglar alarms?  Are they useful in Phils?

How about electrified covers?  :)   I don't mean killing type (except it's risk they can kill people with weak heart and it's some risk if they hold so the electric go through the body) I mean such as HURT and make the arm some weak a while. I have tought such electric level without knowing it was electrified. It didn't hurt me any long time, but I don't want to tough such again  :mocking:

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

regarding the thief he was shown the video and he handed back the property, thing is he was a school buddy and a drinking friend of many years and knowing the reasons why he did it the ( daughter ill in hospital and desperate for money and too ashamed to ask for help )

cousin said forgive and forget ! and he helped his friend with his daughter anyway !

That's a perfect outcome, as long as the thief did not lose too much face.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Worse than useless.  If you have a home invasion robbery while you are sleeping and the alarm goes off and wakes you up then they will kill you.  In two such incidents that I know of, the victims slept through a burglary and later reported to the police and the police said "Good thing you did not wake up while they were in your house."

Strange advice I thought.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Worse than useless.  If you have a home invasion robbery while you are sleeping and the alarm goes off and wakes you up then they will kill you.  In two such incidents that I know of, the victims slept through a burglary and later reported to the police and the police said "Good thing you did not wake up while they were in your house."

Strange advice I thought.

But then they got cornered.

I ment can alarms scare away thieves when the house owner is NOT at home?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Burglar alarm?  Better a good noisy dog who bites strangers if you aren't around...  Where I live, the poor thing would have to sleep all day and all night!!!  :mocking:

Bars on windows can be very decorative and look like they are suppose to be there...   Unless you live in the local jail...  The one here doesn't have bars on the windows...  Or glass...  Or...   :hystery:

Yes, walking at 2 am can be very dangerous to your health!!!  I needed to go to the local convenience store which is about 15 minutes walk away - as all the sari sari stores were closed....  Off I go and around the corner and there, in the middle of the street, was a gang of 20 or so young thugs...  I was immediately surrounded and had to play a couple games of b-ball with them!  I was so winded by the end of the last game, one of the guys gave me a ride to the store and back!  I grabbed a couple Red Horse and a bottle of Tanduay for the return trip and everybody was happy!  I now go out for a walk around 2 am at least twice a month...  Gotta get that exercise in!   :dance:

Yes, I live in a very safe neighborhood where everybody looks out for each other!  It is mixed between very rich people (CEOs, doctors, lawyers, etc) and the very poor (shantytown across the road and along the river)...  Is every place safe like this?  Nah...  I got lucky with this one!!!  Maybe it's because the next President / current mayor of Davao has his family home a whole 150 meters from my apartment?  Or that his son lives next door?   Who knows?  I just know that I am extremely safe where I am!

:attention:  :tiphat:  :mocking:

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Maybe it's because the next President / current mayor of Davao has his family home a whole 150 meters from my apartment?  Or that his son lives next door?   Who knows?  I just know that I am extremely safe where I am!

Bob! That is OK as long as the man is in Favour, Please be careful when he falls from his pedestal  :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:

Morning all. :morning1:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
I ment can alarms scare away thieves when the house owner is NOT at home?

Well lets put it this way Thomas? How many car alarms do we see everyday in the west and we walk on by? As Bob says a pack of noisy yap yap dogs seems to be the norm here, but just like car alarms, pretty much everyone ignores them. Here is a case in point. I live near a private school, and when I moved here, the fire alarm would go off at unusual times. I was the only one in the neighborhood that bothered to go outside and check. In my opinion unless you have very close friends or relatives living close by and your burglar alarm goes off, everyone will roll over and go back to sleep, and if you don't think possible thieve know this?

Since we have started discussing home security let me add this. I am no expert in residential security, however I did assist in setting up security arrangements in three safe houses, Najaf, Bajii and Karkov Iraq, and everyone got home safe. The real purpose of home security is not to keep possible intruders out, but to make it so difficult that they move on to an easier target.

High wall vs. low wall or chain link fence or see through fence-

NEIGHBOURS from SEE the thieves breaking in...
--Again, unless your neighbors are relatives or very close friends, if the average Filipino (or average human being for that matter) sees someone lurking in your front yard, they will most likely think they live there or working there. Even if they see someone carrying a big screen TV out of the window, will they confront them? I doubt that seriously. They just might call the local barangay watchman (usually unarmed in my experience) or the PNP. Will the thieves still be there? Doubt it, but we might get lucky.

CCTV: Again a deterrent. If a thief sees the camera, he might think twice before trying a break in. Just before he steals the camera :hystery: . But the thieves are not stupid. If they really want in, they will send minors. So even if you do catch them on camera, identify them, the cops catch them, then what? they are released to the custody of the parents (most likely to one who sent them over the wall :1 (103):) due to minors not eligible for prosecution. NOTE: The folks on our street all pitched in for CCTV.  For the deterent factor but mainly for the local kids. Kids will be kids and we did catch some on camera doing minor vandalism, we showed the tape to their folks, stood back and watch the beatings begin. Vandalism is mostly non existent on our street now.

Window Bars? Well there is a reason why 98% of all buildings in the Philippines use them, They work!. If a thief wants in and your home, he is going to get in. The noise and delay will give a person a chance to a. prepare to defend himself, b. call the police or c. run away (my preference).

But make it much harder for tennants to get OUT at fires
In our city (and I bet in most) it is required that at least one window on each floor have a "gate" in it in case of fire. In our house, these are padlocked and a key placed in such a place that can be reached in total darkness (smoke) and we have practiced.

Like I said, a determined thief WILL get in, all we can really do is make it so difficult for him, he moves on next door to a house that presents less of a challenge.

:cheersty:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
a pack of noisy yap yap dogs seems to be the norm here,

we have just added a 4th Security Measure to the pack. another Dalmatian Cross. Our very Yappy Mini Pinscher alerts the others. 2 Dalmatian/ Belgian Malonois crosses with the Meanest of teeth, are there in seconds. but we have found that the majority of Locals are astonished at the Size of our Labrador. The Head alone makes many think to go way past our gate, to another Victim. The only problem with dogs is fear of poisoning.

luckily we have tried to counter this by letting them sniff odors that could be used and all but the youngest have come to realize that not all food smells and tastes good. So we are hoping that if someone does throw poisoned food over the walls, they will smell it and stay away.

Having said this, we are happy with the security arrangements we have. As already said, if a thief wants in the grounds they will get in But I am not too sure they will be leaving in one piece  :thumbsup:

name='scott h' timestamp='1436751265' post='152781'] it is required that at least one window on each floor have a "gate" in it in case of fire.

We have solid Sliding Doors at the Front of the House as our Fire Escapes. One either end of the 40' salon so there is plenty of escape routes from All parts of the House. being a Concret Hoese and with Furniture Placed in sensible places, we feel we have done as much as we can to protect us from any Fire, The ceilings are hardiflex so are non- combustable

JP

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 2