Is It A Safe Place To Be

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

To me the dogs are about as useless as car alrams.  They all bark so much everyone ignores them.  If they attack intruders they may be useful - but just to bark, easily ignorable. 

Our apartment window bars do have a locked escape section, but there are no keys for the locks....  :tiphat:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

To me the dogs are about as useless as car alrams.  They all bark so much everyone ignores them.  If they attack intruders they may be useful - but just to bark, easily ignorable. 

My last Intruder thought this  :no: Silly man.

JP :tiphat:

Tim, for me and your families safety Please get those locks sorted. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
If they attack intruders they may be useful

You and I think that Tim, but I would be afraid that with the screwy laws here (and in the States for that matter). if a buglar got mauled by a watch dog, they would probably sue for heaven and earth. Maybe that's why the big mean dogs are tied up all the time, and couldn't bite anyone out of range.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

OK guys, I'm gonna stray into another security item where it affects a wider area.  I'm talking about check points, whether PNP or military. They're usually set up semi-permanently into and out of a city or its' outskirts.  Do you guys see any of those during your travels, especially late at night?

Just wonderin'.......

Edited by Jake
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
 Do you guys see any of those during your travels, especially late at night?  

Sure, all the time . . .   :1 (103): oops . .  I thought you said 'chick' points.  Nope, seldom see any 'check' points except during elections.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
They're usually set up semi-permanently into and out of a city or its' outskirts.

Here in my part of the metro Jake, I see them all the time. Usually at choke points in the road. Usually I see them checking for motorcycle helmets and other paper work. I have seen roving checkpoints on major roadways pulling over trucks and such, guess just depends what they are looking for that day.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

If they attack intruders they may be useful

You and I think that Tim, but I would be afraid that with the screwy laws here (and in the States for that matter). if a buglar got mauled by a watch dog, they would probably sue for heaven and earth. Maybe that's why the big mean dogs are tied up all the time, and couldn't bite anyone out of range.

I'm more affraid of, if I get a dog, which can stop thieves, they can kill kids coming to visit my kids too, so if I get a dog it will be just to warn me.  Or one LOOKING scary, but being kind   :lol: 

OK guys, I'm gonna stray into another security item where it affects a wider area. I'm talking about check points, whether PNP or military.
I know there are/were some belonging to NPA (in the mountains around 60 km north of Manila. Mt Ararat and other more east too.) NOT threatening. They just let you through, or tell you to turn back.

I don't know though - different sources say different, perhaps it's big difference between different regions - if NPA demand much "revolution tax" of common people living there or if it's just propaganda from the government. If they don't, or litle, I would prefer NPA guard where I live, BUT such would add risk ending up in cross fire between NPA and military/police if there will be a biger campain. Several have told NPA reduce crime by doing police work the police don't...

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I often see checkpoints at various places throughout Mindanao. ..

And now for my daily plug for Davao... Our good friends at Numbeo have been raising the numbers for my favorite city... Previously Davao was rated as the 4th safest city in the world... Then dropped to 9th place... Then 5th... Recent polls now place Davao as THE safest city in the world!!!

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

OK guys, I'm gonna stray into another security item where it affects a wider area.  I'm talking about check points, whether PNP or military. They're usually set up semi-permanently into and out of a city or its' outskirts.  Do you guys see any of those during your travels, especially late at night?

Just wonderin'.......

Yes saw one once , cost Ems dad money too, he was not wearing his seat belt,

• Like 2

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

I lived in a rural-ish area (5 km outside of a fairly large city) north of Cebu City for nearly three years.

I knew most of the people in the barangay and developed good friendships. I never once felt threatened, and felt especially safe because everyone in the barangay knew everyone else and would know if anything suspicious was going on.

I often brought a friend or two with me when I visited Cebu City and they would give me good advice on staying safe. For example...closely guard all your valuables, as there are many professional pick-pockets who are extremely good at what they do.

One thing I saw MANY expats doing was yelling at Filipinos when things weren't done to their liking. A common scenario was that the Jollibee (a McDonald's facsimile) cashier didn't completely understand an order. (The way some of them talked, *I* could barely understand their order!) Aside from being completely embarrassed to be seen with them, this type of behavior can potentially get you into trouble in the Philippines.

• Like 5