Is It A Safe Place To Be

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Perhaps I should rephrase the voice I used... Extremely authoritative without allowance to deviate... Volume was not the issue.

As to doing this with a Filipino? I have yet to come across a Filipino who acted close to what I've experienced from several ex-pats... And any who have come close were usually surrounded by store security very quickly...

Did I do this in Canada? Yes. I did...

Sitting back and letting ignorant abusive morons attack the meek or helpless is not my idea of being a productive member of society nor is it conducive to promoting a sense of safety in the community. Not one action is appropriate for every incidence but I do find that those who will abuse and cowardly browbeat an employee who cannot respond back for fear of losing their employment, well, these are usually the same people who are scared of any perceived authority and will self destruct in seconds when stood up to...

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

You know what's strange (straying WAY off topic) I have been here going on 3 years now. I have yet to run into a fellow rude expat. I wonder where they all hang out??? :unsure: . I have heard some raised voices at the bureau of immigration, but in that place you have to shout to be heard :hystery: .

All the expats I have seen are like me, just hen pecked guys pushing the shopping cart, or trying to blend into woodwork in the women's undergarment section.

• Like 5

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
All the expats I have seen are like me, just hen pecked guys pushing the shopping cart, or trying to blend into woodwork in the women's undergarment section.

Not me, being polite I always offer to help hand fit the undergarments.  "Jus tring to give you a hand, m'am

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

You know what's strange (straying WAY off topic) I have been here going on 3 years now. I have yet to run into a fellow rude expat. I wonder where they all hang out??? :unsure: . I have heard some raised voices at the bureau of immigration, but in that place you have to shout to be heard :hystery: .

Other than BI, I usually only find them in MacDonalds / Jollybee or in the mall department stores...  Or a couple bars that I try not to patronize...

:mocking:

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Not me, being polite I always offer to help hand fit the undergarments.  "Jus tring to give you a hand, m'am

You`re very helpful I`ll come with you next time and we can help them as a team.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
Vince Runza
Posted
Posted

While I'm streetwise (lived in an area in NYC where people from Harlem would say, "Don't go there! It's not a nice neighborhood!"), have traveled to the Caribbean and South America for long vacations, I know you can't be perfectly safe anywhere. As long as you make it a practice to meet and network with locals and expats, you should be able to get up to speed with what to do (and not to do), where to go (and where/when not to go), and generally keep yourself as safe as is reasonable to expect.

From what I've heard and read, the best plan is to be in the company of a pretty, savvy Filipina wherever you go. I'm down with that!

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
you should be able to get up to speed with what to do (and not to do), where to go (and where/when not to go),

All to many times we read and/or hear stories but as we have always said.

Never be in the wrong Place, at the wrong time, saying the wrong thing, to the wrong People.  

Common sense that's all it takes.

JP :thumbsup:   :tiphat:

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Never be in the wrong Place, at the wrong time

Thats interesting.  I have sat at a cafe in Colon, Cebu drinking cheap beer and chatting with other expats and pretty girls who walk by and it is a good life.  All are pleasant around me and the only negatives are the smell and garbage as its not a 'nice' street.  At another time on another day, an expat got the crap beat out of him by some locals at the very same spot.

So the question is, was I in the wrong place at the right time?  Or was it the right place but the other guy was being a prick and deserved what he got? I'll never know.

The bottom line is:  No matter WHERE you are it can be the wrong time.  I am thinking of the foreigner who was on his way to go whale watching with his family, stopped in at MacDonalds to get some breakfast, and was gunned down by thugs who thought he was with some other dudes.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Indeed no matter where you are in the world, anything could happen,

Vince Runza
Posted
Posted

Roseanne%252520Roseannadanna.jpg