Hired Help

Thomas
Posted
Posted
First thing came to mind was tuberculosis, an airborne disease that can quickly spread.
Yes. I have forgot the percentages, but it's VERY common Filipinos CARRY tuberculosis bacterias, but are NOT ill themselves (yet). Some of them have tb.
one of them is constantly coughing.
  Constantly or very often?

Some not dangerous, or not spreading common reasons are:

/AIRCONS give many flue.

/Smoking, passive smoking.

/Are where they use open fire or bad wood stoves, so they cough from the SMOKE from them, when they are elsewhere too. This is very common among poor Filipinos.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Lets be sensible, the PI is Rife with TB lets  keep our Loved ones safe by keeping our  Help healthy where we can, testing/screening is Free at the DOH

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

If you have young children and wanted some help like a yaya or housekeeper, would you get them to have a health check first? I ask because the Doctor who lives next door has helpers and one of them is constantly coughing. This has certainly made me think about keeping my daughter away from people who may be infected with who knows what. If you are going to get helpers would you pay for some tests after they pass all other requirements?

In the province as you are, hiring a known person, or a relative maybe?

The normal procedure for food care workers is a Chest X Ray, skin test for TB anti bodies, and a blood test for Hepatitis. You would go through a Dr to order that and follow up the results. If you don't show yourself the cost will be under 2k, maybe 1500. If you show your face, you know how it goes, maybe a bit more. Write down on a piece of paper what you want done, so the Doc doesn't over order other unnecessary tests.

I would not do it in the province, but I would not hire anyone with a chronic cough either. Provincial girls, living in the open air are going to be stronger, healthier, than someone living in a Manila squatter slum. The main transmission of TB would be if maybe they lived with an elderly relative who had active TB.

Caveat emptor though, these house helpers do come and go, so your loss if she only stays a month.

TB is a remote possibility if the immune system is strong, unless

Chopper1050
Posted
Posted

my gf used to work as yaya. All of her coworkers received a pre - employment physical. When my gf left her job, the 18 yr old girl that was to fill her spot failed her physical . TB. The employer paid for a round of treatment and sent her back to the province.

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Where I live in Davao and if I was single, I would catch every single virus going around here...  Why?  Most of the nannies and housekeepers here are young, beautiful and shy - provincial girls - who blush and stammer when they first meet me...  I just find that sooo attractive...  hehe!  Luckily, I am not single and it's now down to 9 days until she is on the ferry home...  with a stop in CDO to pack up and move her mom in with us!  hehe!

:mocking:

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Well she is still coughing. I would imagine the doctor who employs her could get the tests done cheaper as she works at the hospital behind our houses and they can carry out these kind of tests.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Where I live in Davao and if I was single, I would catch every single virus going around here...  Why?  Most of the nannies and housekeepers here are young, beautiful and shy - provincial girls - who blush and stammer when they first meet me...  I just find that sooo attractive...  hehe!  Luckily, I am not single and it's now down to 9 days until she is on the ferry home...  with a stop in CDO to pack up and move her mom in with us!  hehe!

:mocking:

Sounds good - until I read the last  :)

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well she is still coughing. I would imagine the doctor who employs her could get the tests done cheaper as she works at the hospital behind our houses and they can carry out these kind of tests.

Could be asthma, strongly doubt if the Dr. allows a case of suspected TB in her household. TB is not so common in otherwise healthy younger persons. Unless several were living in the same household.

Edited by chris49

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

TB is not so common in otherwise healthy younger persons. Unless several were living in the same household.

Hey come on Chris Wake up man, It is the 6th Biggest Killer in the Philippines. I really do not want to shout you down but your statement is very Sweeping. It is the one thing that stops OFW's from getting a Clearance to go abroad. We(they) need to address this and a Doctor not doing a check on it is so very wrong. Chris I am sorry if this upsets you or anyone else but We watched a child of 15 die a painful death only last year. It was not nice and could have been avoided I am sure if Treated early enough.

Fact*

In the Philippines, TB is the number six leading cause of death, with 73 Filipinos dying every day of TB. Let us look at 10 facts about TB:

full page:

http://www.philstar.com/health-and-family/763897/tuberculosis-philippines-10-things-you-should-know

Who is most at risk?

Tuberculosis mostly affects young adults, in their most productive years. However, all

age groups are at risk. Over 95% of cases and deaths are in developing countries.

.http://www.wpro.who.int/philippines/mediacentre/factsheet/tuberculosis_fact_sheet.pdf

We really should not take this as lightly as it seems we are

:thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

I am not so easily upset.

My statement was ok, pointing to the fact that the girl was living/working in the house of a Dr.

I will research more, certainly not prevalent here up north. We do not per se have squatters up north of San Fernando La Union.

I read your study dated 2012, so I am updated, thanks.