The Cost Of Living

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Has your cost of living gone up since you have been there,

Ok on the first day of landing there you have your budget to stick too, and after so many months you are managing quite well, then your costs start to rise, do you still manage, or has you income risen too, and if it has not are you still happy being there ,

We all have to budget to live the way we want but how far does your budget have to fall till you think O HECK I BETTER GET ANOTHER INCOME OR MOVE

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Has your cost of living gone up since you have been there,

Ok on the first day of landing there you have your budget to stick too, and after so many months you are managing quite well, then your costs start to rise, do you still manage, or has you income risen too, and if it has not are you still happy being there ,

We all have to budget to live the way we want but how far does your budget have to fall till you think O HECK I BETTER GET ANOTHER INCOME OR MOVE

Hello Steve,

I believe it's not just the monthly income versus the monthly expenditures.  You also need to factor in the happy factor.  You can make double the current amount but what good does that do, when you're pissin' up wind all the time.  

As far as the realistic amount for me, I still think a minimum of $1800 should keep me above water, provided the inflation is kept in check.  As you may know, we also need emergency funds to relocate to another island.  Or go back home and possibly face a more financial burden there.  

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

On the haircut, which is an interesting COL comparison.

I think I paid 150 or even 200 in a salon plus tip. But it was not satisfactory, more of a styling which I did not need.

I have paid as little as 35 pesos. Or the standard 50-60 pesos which applies in men's barbershops across the country. Haircut includes shaving the neck and side burns. A head and forehead massage with alcohol and a good strong neck and shoulder massage, which ensures the full 100 is paid with no change expected. That is worth up to $20. In Australia in the Mall with 5-6 chairs running, they charge up to $27.50 for a 10 minute cut with no extras.

Rides on local jeepney's, buses or the LRT/MRT. Jeepney's 8 pesos, buses, 10-15-20, maximum 40 pesos for a long ride in the Metro area, LRT/MRT 20-25.

So no it is not an issue.

How much are beers now? They were 19-20 pesos, 10 years ago. Shop price is now 26-27, price in a bar 35 or maybe 50, depends on the joint. So again, no issue at all.

• Like 4

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
For me that is not the issue. My issue would be to keep yourself and the partner on the same page and we have had a few talks. As long as you and her are in agreement, the cost of things matters less.

I certainly hope you're right.  My wife holds the book and tells me what page we're on.  It has worked for us in Canada for the last 25 years. 

When I retire and we move, I will be getting a pension, but she has quite a wait for hers.  So since we put the plan to retire there in motion, she's been doing the math, so I haven't had to ask questions about the cost of living.  That's her area.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Expenses go down, happiness goes up - go figure

Called "practice makes perfect" Tim, as we get used to things and the way they work its easier :thumbsup:

bows00
Posted
Posted

Hey guys, with the King US dollar at $45P, life must be good!

But seriously, I do agree with most of you, no matter how much money you have, you will always be lacking if you don't have that one thing..."CONTENTMENT" - by definition, it is an inner satisfaction, the feeling that you are happy right where you are and you don't have the need for bigger/better things...

Cannot wait to get there... 2 years and counting...

• Like 5