The Cost Of Living

PhilD
Posted
Posted

I'm new. I know this question gets asked a lot. Can a couple still live reasonably(modestly) on 45,000PHP per month in the provinces ? I mean rent a nothing fancy small house and cook our own food.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Can a couple still live reasonably(modestly) on 45,000PHP per month in the provinces ? I mean rent a nothing fancy small house and cook our own food.

I get by on that.  But only just 'get by'.  I would not recommend that this be your beginning budget because there are too many tricks to learn to live on that amount.

Also, if the second half of the couple is a westernized lady there is little hope of succeeding on that budget.  But it is possible.

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I'm new. I know this question gets asked a lot. Can a couple still live reasonably(modestly) on 45,000PHP per month in the provinces ? I mean rent a nothing fancy small house and cook our own food.

We live in a small city in a modest but very nice place in pleasant surroundings. We enjoy a simple but very satisfying lifestyle on 25-30000p a month. If you search my posts, you will find a more detailed breakdown of our life here. So, I would say yes, you definitely can live on the amount you quote, depending on where you live and your personal requirements.

• Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted

We live on less then that a month living here in England, ok the figure does not include running the car, so you can understand living over there with this amount we should be fine

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Sure if your wife is economic and you don't get to high costs supporting the family-in-law.

There are Filipino families living at as low as 50 000p per YEAR, 18 people!!!   So many Filipinas have the skill and practice. People who grew up very poor, react different though when they get much money (in their messure). Some go on being economic just at a some higher living standard, while some start spending much to much. I want a wife, who is the economic type   :mocking:

• Like 1

riburn3
Posted
Posted

Absolutely.  Obviously a lot will still depend on the province and how often you need to get to the city, but I find it pretty difficult to burn cash in the province, even if I try.  Other factors will be what you plan on doing for entertainment and just what you plan on eating, but the simple fact that you want to cook for yourself will save you a small fortune.  

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

Yes, that would be ok. We live on about 50k pesos, with a plan to save 10k a month. We probably do save the 10k, but end up spending it on projects we have going here. We also like an occasional trip to Manila about 3 times a year, usually we have a reason, but will do some shopping, stay in a moderate price hotel for 2-3 nights.

However. If I had an income of 45k, I would worry about the intangibles. Immigration visits, medical bills, family emergencies, schooling (if it applies).

We have a total income of about 68k pesos living in the province, no rent, no car currently. I think 60k rather than 45k, but sure you can do it on 45k or even less.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Many of us are doing it on less - either by choice or income level - and live a great life! Go back and read some of the older topics on this same subject and you will see what I mean!

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

We all have a set figure in our minds and if you are very lucky you may even have a surplus amount in your back pocket for the just incase,

Like i have said i would love to live on $xxxxxx and then save $xxxxxx each month for the extra trips and so on,

There is a difference of living on a budget and LIVING WELL , and having that spare cash for other things, then having to live on a budget and having no cash spare,

I often wonder do we all end up like the Filipinos spend it all today and tomorrow you will be skint :thumbsup:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I often wonder do we all end up like the Filipinos spend it all today and tomorrow

Well of course Steve,  this is a word that is missing from many a Filipino's vocabulary but as I have said before to get it about right, we must try and make the Lifestyle fit the Budget not trying to stretch the Budget to Fit the Lifestyle, as so many, try and do here with some Disaster along the way.  :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat: post-2148-0-71346500-1440230083.png

• Like 2