Eating Habits

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have been trying to get my wife to eat more healthy food.It is quite hard to ween her off of white rice and she does not like to eat vegetables,even though she was brought on a farm. I told her that if she continued to eat so much white rice she may turn into a diabetic as the starch in rice turns into sugar and she may have to inject insulin every day.. This has had a limited affect.

Now I am going to show her this article and see if it helps.

London, Jul 18 (ANI): A Cleethorpes amputee is campaigning to spread message on diabetes by calling on the Government to put an end to avoidable diabetes-related amputations in England.
Using new Public Health England data, the figures were calculated, showing that the annual number of diabetes-related amputations in England is now more than 7,000 compared to the previous figure of 6,677, the Grimsby Telegraph reported.
With good diabetes care and footcare, up to 80 per cent of these amputations can be avoided.
The 39-year-old Stuart Raithby, who has Type 1 diabetes and lost his left leg below the knee, said that beyond living with diabetes, he has had to cope with the impact of his amputation, a devastating complication that is a direct result of not managing my diabetes.
He was diagnosed at the age of 21 and later developed an ulcer on his foot after losing the feeling in his feet. After initially seeking treatment, he stopped getting his ulcer attended to and a few weeks later he fell ill.
Stuart added that he neglected his feet, but he knows that some people are just not getting the care they need, thus, he wants to raise awareness of the issue so that more is done to ensure people with diabetes get their feet checked properly and are made aware of what can happen if they don't.
The figures show that despite a big focus on preventing such drastic treatment, the amputation rate for major and minor amputations combined in people with diabetes has stayed the same. (ANI)

I think she has eaten rice for so long it will still be a struggle so here`s hoping.

PS DH posted as plain tex
--
Edited by sonjack2847
  • Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted

Very interesting read.

For one I am continually amazed with eating habits of wealthy well educated locals. Take our engineer for example, he would stand at around 5.6 weighs over 90KG aged about 36. His wife is similar, and most abhorrent to myself is the two kids, honestly they are like two penguins waddling along.

We have discussed this, I tried to invite him to our gym and encourage him to improve eating habits, well it's like he is almost proud of his size and no desire to change.

Perhaps other can shed light on this, these people know well of the future dangers, why is it they do nothing.....

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I might concern myself with my wife's health but I would never intrude on anyone else's life.  Their life - their choices. 

.... but if my wife does not eat rice at least twice a day she says she gets headcahces - she ain't giving up rice ha ha.

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Very interesting read.

For one I am continually amazed with eating habits of wealthy well educated locals. Take our engineer for example, he would stand at around 5.6 weighs over 90KG aged about 36. His wife is similar, and most abhorrent to myself is the two kids, honestly they are like two penguins waddling along.

We have discussed this, I tried to invite him to our gym and encourage him to improve eating habits, well it's like he is almost proud of his size and no desire to change.

Perhaps other can shed light on this, these people know well of the future dangers, why is it they do nothing.....

The overweight Asian is a badge of honour, if you can afford to be fat that means you have wealth. This is just the same as the western person in medieval to Victorian times. Now of course obesity is rampant in the west but I don't believe that is due to white rice consumption.

Asians have eaten rice for centuries but obesity is a fairly modern problem in this part of the world. I cite things like fast food, cakes and sugary drinks as the more likely culprit. This goes hand in hand with more sedentary lifestyles.

I personally have eaten rice at least a few times a week ever since I can remember, since moving here I probably eat rice at one meal nearly everyday, although only a small portion. With this diet that includes lots of vegetables and more fish than meat, I have lost weight.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I tend to think that  metabolism  and regular Exercise can play a Big part in this also. Many just do not take any sort of exercise at all 

The Gym is Good for certain parts of the Body but Brisk walking & keeping Hydrated plays a big part.

Obesity that can so easily turn to other things, can be controlled (If  people cared enough) there are  millions living  to old age on a fish and Rice Diet but it is the type of Rice that matters To me it is this common GM rice that is a problem.

For me [A rice Lover] two meals a day of rice and that is small portions, Potatoes with Plenty of Veg for Dinner and my weight and size has not altered in 5 years.

I am not sure we will ever change the rice thing with our loved ones but I am starting to get away from GM stuff where the Sugar problem will come from. Yes there is a cost element but these people will tell you always, that Health is Wealth and yet they waste & endanger the Wealth they have But.................. :rolleyes: and because of this we can all see now that the local Children are in the main no longer the skinny little people that were about in my Early days here but chubby things that pant after a short walk to the candy Store  :unsure: a few years on and they will be Obese.

Remember we used to say, Rice is good for you, the Chinese got that one right, you didn't often see a fat Chinese man, If Course things change. 

JMHO on this. :tiphat:  :thumbsup:

JP 

• Like 3

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

I agree with Mogo51 Rice is Asias staple diet like potatoes is for the UK !!

And we are told as well that Potatoes are bad for us !! now some scientist has declared that Coconuts are not as healthy as they are meant to be !

What next bananas are bad for us as well because a fruit that is bent cant be good !!

as the saying Goes you are what you eat ! so if you like eating Burgers and cream cakes and drinking coke then do it !

we all die eventually anyway !!

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

While I am here I may as well tell you what I have just seen as this is the Start of the Spiral, I popped down to the local Sori Sori for some white onions ( he keeps some for me as I like them in my liver meals) not only are there 5 or 6 kids not at class this morning, they were there stuffing their faces with Junk, OH! I know we all liked candy and stuff as Kids but we all know that this is the Start of things. Parents today are just to lazy [in my Opinion] to give  the kids proper snacks and just send them off to the Shop with 20 peso and get them out of their hair. Is it any wonder that the Sugar thing Starts here and can only escalate in later years,

Moral:

If it is Good enough for Parents it is good enough for them. :no:  NO and Enough, seems to be 2 more words in little use here.

JP  :rolleyes:

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife`s cousin died a year ago through heart disease she was 45 years old, my wife`s father has a heart disease also.  I don`t want my daughter to grow up without a mother so I think it is only right to help my wife to eat more healthy. I don`t want her to give up rice altogether but to cut down from 3 times a day. We live in the area what they call the vegetable basket of Cebu.

Edited by sonjack2847
  • Like 5

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
I have been trying to get my wife to eat more healthy food.It is quite hard to ween her off of white rice

Try a mixture of brown and white rice.. 80% white 20% brown . after a week then a 60% 40% mix.  still gets the white rice "fix" with some healthy brown rice mixed it, after a while she should not notice the difference,.  

• Like 3