Eating Habits

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I agree we all need to eat healthy foods.  While rice has its good and bad points, it is surely bad if we eat too much of it.  Vegetables are good and I wish I ate more of them.

Trying to change my own eating habits is next to impossible.  Trying to change someone else's is even harder.  I attempt changes by changing the types of meals instead of the ingredients.  For example, when the wife asks what I think she should cook for dinner I suggest stew instead of meat and potatoes (stew has lots of healthy stuff thrown in).  When she is the one who needs better nutrition I suggest she cook sinigang instead of rice and barbecue because I know she loves it and just needs a little push to make herself some.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have been trying to get my wife to eat more healthy food.It is quite hard to ween her off of white rice

Try a mixture of brown and white rice.. 80% white 20% brown . after a week then a 60% 40% mix.  still gets the white rice "fix" with some healthy brown rice mixed it, after a while she should not notice the difference,.  

We would eat more brown rice if we could get it down here. Good tip from you.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Very interesting read.

For one I am continually amazed with eating habits of wealthy well educated locals. Take our engineer for example, he would stand at around 5.6 weighs over 90KG aged about 36. His wife is similar, and most abhorrent to myself is the two kids, honestly they are like two penguins waddling along.

We have discussed this, I tried to invite him to our gym and encourage him to improve eating habits, well it's like he is almost proud of his size and no desire to change.

Perhaps other can shed light on this, these people know well of the future dangers, why is it they do nothing.....

Hey guys,

My comment is solely based on personal observation.  I believe the higher the food chain one can achieve, the typical Filipino will also achieve the shape of a Buddha.  Is it a form of status symbol blended into the Filipino mindset?  

post-686-0-28057500-1437370502_thumb.jpg post-686-0-77814000-1437371007_thumb.jpg post-686-0-94062300-1437371029_thumb.jpg

Thank you Kevin (OP) for showing your concern for your wife and family.  It's a global wake up call that most of us have slept through.  Fast food is way too convenient causing more and more people to eat more on the couch rather than the family table.  

As far as our staple food of rice, potatoes, tortilla or cassava ((India), I can't imagine doing a complete changeover.  I will always have my rice but in very small quantities.  I've been following my mother's eating habits (age 90) by eating like a bird expanded over 4-5 smaller meals.  I'm type II diabetic and have managed to keep my numbers down by playing a lot of tennis and of course, altering my habits of eating and pushing off from the table.

Halo halo junkie -- Jake 

Edited by Jake
  • Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I asked about brown rice but according to my wife only poor people eat brown rice.  Which makes no sense becasue it is more expensive... but I did not argue about it ha ha.  I have a foreigner friend here who eats brown rice - all the locals look at him like he is crazy  :tiphat:

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Asians have been eating rice for as long as anyone can remember, it is their staple diet. Do you honestly think they are going to change because of a Western article about diabetes.
Yes, but I try to make them eat BROWN rice instead. That's much better for health.  BROWN rice is the TRADITIONAL form before they were FOOLED to eat white rice.

I believe poor OLD Filipinos grew up on brown rice, that's why they are in good health still   :) 

SOME brown rice TYPES don't taste good, which make it harder to make people change.  I tried to get the name of the brown rice types I like, tasting similar to white rice if clean it proper, but I didn't got any answer. I don't know if sellers didn't know, or if it was a business secret   :)

The overweight Asian is a badge of honour, if you can afford to be fat that means you have wealth.
Yes. And white rice is too. NOWADAYS brown rice cost MORE of some odd reason, but historical the poor did eat brown rice because it was CHEAPER and only the rich started eating white rice   :bash:  Then the poor wanted to copy the rich, so they started eating white rice... 
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I asked about brown rice but according to my wife only poor people eat brown rice.  Which makes no sense becasue it is more expensive... but I did not argue about it ha ha.  I have a foreigner friend here who eats brown rice - all the locals look at him like he is crazy  :tiphat:

Traditionaly poor people ate brown, but now it's more expensive  - EXCEPT if buying it from a rice farmer...   :)

Two years ago, the rice farmers I know got only 700 - 1000p per 40/50 kg sack when they sold their harvests to traders/millers. If they aren't blocked by deals with financieres, being forced to who they have to sell to, they can be interested in selling a sack direct to us customers.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Thomas, I just opened a bag of brown rice grown here in Mindanao that tastes very much like a basic white rice but they don't say what type it is...

For diabetics, the glycemic count varies by the type of rice you eat... Brown rice is best and is closely followed by Basmati and then Thai Fragrant rice... Any of these eaten in moderation should be OK but, if you are diabetic, monitor your blood sugar as per your doctor's orders!

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Thomas, I just opened a bag of brown rice grown here in Mindanao that tastes very much like a basic white rice but they don't say what type it is...

For diabetics, the glycemic count varies by the type of rice you eat... Brown rice is best and is closely followed by Basmati and then Thai Fragrant rice... Any of these eaten in moderation should be OK but, if you are diabetic, monitor your blood sugar as per your doctor's orders!

Sometimes I can get Bohol red rice is that any healthier?

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have been trying to get my wife to eat more healthy food.It is quite hard to ween her off of white rice

Try a mixture of brown and white rice.. 80% white 20% brown . after a week then a 60% 40% mix.  still gets the white rice "fix" with some healthy brown rice mixed it, after a while she should not notice the difference,.  

We would eat more brown rice if we could get it down here. Good tip from you.

here is a past topic i had a few years back,

i post the link so the new members can read and the old ones get a refresher on BROWN RICE

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/13311-brown-rice-health-information-news-article/

I will add this article as its relevant to the BROWN RICE benefits

Science City of Munoz — A food scientist says many Filipinos are unaware of the nutritional superiority of brown, pigmented and iron-dense rice.

Dr. Marissa Romero, of the Philippine Rice Research Institute,

said that unpolished rice is more beneficial than white grains.

Romero said research showed that eating brown rice

may reduce the incidence of cardiovascular diseases such as hypertension,

hypercholesterolemia,

heart disease and stroke.

Citing the same study,

she said that polishing Brown rice to obtain white rice

Removes 15% of proteins, 85% of fats,

80% of thiamine, 70% of riboflavin,

68% of niacin, 90% of calcium,

75% of phosphorus, 60% of other minerals.

“Indeed, Whiter does not always mean better.

Brown rice even makes delectable porridge such as goto, lugaw,” Romewro said.

Romero also said that if brown rice is more nutritious than white rice, sprouting brown rice is even more desirable.

She said sprouted brown rice has gamma-aminobutyric acid, about 10 times the level in white rice,

which is anticancer and good for brain metabolism.

“It also contains Fiber, which is good in managing Constipation

and in fighting colon cancer plus loads of other nutrients,” Romero noted.

A poster health-promoting antioxidants from pigmented rice published in the Philippine Journal of Crop Science in 2009 by PhilRice experts shows that pigmented rice has more anthocyanins, which act as powerful antioxidants.

http://manilastandar...ier-than-white/

Edited by Call me bubba
  • Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Dad, always made brown rice as that is what they had growing up in western Canada and California, it was served mostly with brown sugar and butter.  It has a very nutty flavor.

Mom's family used arborio rice (a short grain rice) fixed with wine and stock and oil, at times with veggies always with cheese.

Brown rice does contain much more cyanide then white, all rice and potatoes and other starchy foods are bad if you're diabetic. If you are normal and eat sugars, fats, starches your body manufactures insulin, and this and exercise keeps you healthy.  But every time I read an article now something else is bad and something that was bad is now good.  It's confusing, so I have decided to continue to eat the bad things I have since my youth, i.e. chocolate, smoked meats, home canned foods (salt) candy must be some I left out.  and as I grew into adulthood add  coffee and dairy.

I offset this by eating food that is good for me, like veggies and fruits and pie and ice cream these taste good so they're fine.

If every one is right and I die at 90+ instead of 100+, well for sure it will not be of  malnutrition.

Remember it's not the fast food and all the calories that are so cheaply available that harm you, instead it is your disability to  say no. This is told to you by a happy overweight old guy.

As many Asians tell they wish to come to America where the poor people are fat.         

• Like 1