Eating Habits

Czechman
Posted
Posted

I have been trying to get my wife to eat more healthy food.It is quite hard to ween her off of white rice

Try a mixture of brown and white rice.. 80% white 20% brown . after a week then a 60% 40% mix.  still gets the white rice "fix" with some healthy brown rice mixed it, after a while she should not notice the difference,.  

FYI: Consider though, brown rice is noted to be higher (than other rice varieties) in arsenic; this link is a bit aged however, it still holds true for all rice: Rice has too much arsenic.

*The best rice I think--if you can find it here and at that, at a decent price--is long grain wild rice. Or maybe just wean them off of the cheap white rice and substitute healthier alternatives like an alternative rice (and again--of it's available), like basmati for one. Also, basmati it's available in both, white and brown versions and is higher in fiber than trad. Asian white rice as well. A win-win!

Czechman
Posted
Posted

My daughter likes pickled red cabbage and hot sauce I have not let her eat too much as I think about the *acid content as she is so young.

*Don't get too worried as some food/food products, the body converts the acidic state to alkaline as in, for example: tomatoes, citrus fruits, apple cider vinegar, etc. <-as these are naturally acidic foods before they are consumed. Also cabbage is an alkaline forming food to begin with: Acidic/Alkaline Forming Foods List

Your daughter may be on to something good after all!! :thumbsup:   -Well, minus the hot sauce maybe... LOL!!   

Say, since your daughter likes "HOT N' SPICY," have her try Kimchi (AKA: Kimchee/Gimchi, also), a fermented Korean food in many varieties but, more-so (and since she likes cabbage), have her try the cabbage-based Kimchi. Kimchi is fermented, and like all fermented foods (beer, wine, yogurt, sauerkraut, even "pickled foods," etc), it puts good bacteria into the small intestine. This "good bacteria distribution into the small intestine" aids in better nutritional intake from our consumed foods by promoting more efficient digestion, and makes anyone healthier and less prone to illness as another end result too.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

My daughter likes pickled red cabbage and hot sauce I have not let her eat too much as I think about the *acid content as she is so young.

*Don't get too worried as some food/food products, the body converts the acidic state to alkaline as in, for example: tomatoes, citrus fruits, apple cider vinegar, etc. <-as these are naturally acidic foods before they are consumed. Also cabbage is an alkaline forming food to begin with: Acidic/Alkaline Forming Foods List

Your daughter may be on to something good after all!! :thumbsup:   -Well, minus the hot sauce maybe... LOL!!   

Say, since your daughter likes "HOT N' SPICY," have her try Kimchi (AKA: Kimchee/Gimchi, also), a fermented Korean food in many varieties but, more-so (and since she likes cabbage), have her try the cabbage-based Kimchi. Kimchi is fermented, and like all fermented foods (beer, wine, yogurt, sauerkraut, even "pickled foods," etc), it puts good bacteria into the small intestine. This "good bacteria distribution into the small intestine" aids in better nutritional intake from our consumed foods by promoting more efficient digestion, and makes anyone healthier and less prone to illness as another end result too.

When we were in Cebu city the other week we went to a Thai restaurant next to the Diplomat hotel. I forget what we had but it was a little spicy and my daughter loved it. Problem I have now is both her and my wife are getting to like western foods like cornflakes and Branston pickle etc etc these for me are hard to come by but what the hell. BTW absolutely love Kimchi and Thai papaya salad.

• Like 3

Czechman
Posted
Posted
papaya salad

Pickled Papaya Salad is another all time favorite; good and good for you!! :thumbs-up-smile:  

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I like the pickled papaya - my wife hates it.  :tiphat:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

papaya salad

Pickled Papaya Salad is another all time favorite; good and good for you!! :thumbs-up-smile:  

Have you ever had thai papaya salad with chilli sauce,heaven.

I like the pickled papaya - my wife hates it.  :tiphat:

where do you get it?  I can only get young papaya at certain of the year.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
where do you get it?

Just go to the market and ask:

If a pilipino picked a peck of pickled papaya, where can I purchase a peck of pickled papaya that pickled pilipino picked?

Ask 3 vendors real fast and you will get a response.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

If a pilipino picked a peck of pickled papaya, where can I purchase a peck of pickled papaya that pickled pilipino picked? Ask 3 vendors real fast and you will get a response.

Yeah! :hystery:  :hystery:  :hystery: post-2148-0-55814300-1439700899_thumb.jp

JPpost-2148-0-27567500-1439700957.png

• Like 1

Czechman
Posted
Posted

No but will have to try it though!! Try anything once!  Well most things that is, if it looks and smells good... LOL!

Now you said you got the Thai Papaya Salad at a Thai restaurant in Ceb-City but, can you get it elsewhere?

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

No but will have to try it though!! Try anything once!  Well most things that is, if it looks and smells good... LOL!

Now you said you got the Thai Papaya Salad at a Thai restaurant in Ceb-City but, can you get it elsewhere?

Any Thai restaurant or  when in season I make my own by trial and error I have not seen it in any supermarket.

• Like 1