Eating Habits

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Papaya salad, or som tam to give it's correct name is very easy to make. For a really authentic recipe try ThaiTable, an online recipe site. NB I have no financial or other interest in this site!

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

Filipinos have pickled papaya too.  It's called acharra.  Here in Toronto, we can buy them bottled at some Filipino restaurants.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
where do you get it? I can only get young papaya at certain of the year.

Various restaurants.  I have never bought it anywhere.  It comes as a side dish and I get to eat both hers and mine.

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted (edited)

Filipinos have pickled papaya too. It's called acharra. Here in Toronto, we can buy them bottled at some Filipino restaurants.

som tam is not pickled. It is a fresh salad made with green papaya, green beans, tomatoes, dried shrimp, lots of chillies, palm sugar, fish sauce, fresh lime juice and fresh coriander.

Acharra is a completely different thing.

Edited by virginprune

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Papaya salad, or som tam to give it's correct name is very easy to make. For a really authentic recipe try ThaiTable, an online recipe site. NB I have no financial or other interest in this site!

I will look that up as when I make it I always feel that there is something missing thanks mate.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

My wife recently picked up a new recipe from a Thai cookbook. Chicken Mango salad. Yummmy.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)

where do you get it? I can only get young papaya at certain of the year.

Various restaurants.  I have never bought it anywhere.  It comes as a side dish and I get to eat both hers and mine.

You lucky devil I have had it 1 time in the last 2 years

Edited by sonjack2847

chris49
Posted
Posted

Lugaw or congee or goto as they call it.

Here in the market, not our town, a 20 km ride on the bike, 40 km round trip.

Original lugaw with coconut milk, green onions, crunchy garlic unlimited, calamansi and the chili made into a paste. 15 pesos a large bowl but no goto. Add one egg, so 25 pesos a bowl. 2 bowls will pull you through almost until afternoon.

Nice waitresses enhance everything.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

I like Thai, the chicken curry, green with coconut milk. But the Filipino's have trouble adapting new

recipes other than the ones they have in their head.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I like Thai, the chicken curry, green with coconut milk. But the Filipino's have trouble adapting new

recipes other than the ones they have in their head.

Sometimes you can get ready made sauces in the larger supermarkets.