Is A Nations Military (Or Police Force) A Snapshot Of Its Society?

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

i read this  part on the 500peso bill

A FILIPINO  IS WORTH DIEING FOR .....

( but what was recently posted elsewhere)

IT IT WORTH FOR A FILIPINO  TO DIE FOR THE PHILIPPINES

excuse if this is too close for a political  comment

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

My comments are mostly based on what I read in PDI, coumnist Ramon Tulfo.  He has many enemies, many are high powered.

He wrote editorials about military and police scams and felt really sorry for the boots on the ground.  Stories of fake or inferior

equipment such as helmets, body armor, lack or training, lack of gasoline, lack of bullets, lack or coordination, lack of planning.

post-686-0-92346600-1437770105.jpg Oakwood Mutiny 2003

post-686-0-84967900-1437771607_thumb.jpg The Philippines Marines 

Shall I go on?  I don't know the entry salary of a PNP or military personnel -- what I do know is many of them, as they go up in

ranks -- corruption, power and greed rears its ugly head as they continue to live in opulent luxury.  They are the untouchables.

A snapshot of its' society?  It's a whole photo album, if you ask me.....he, he.

Respectfully -- Jake

Edited by Jake
  • Like 2

canadamale
Posted
Posted

This is a culture of "Me first, then you".  It doesn't surprise me that they want to quit.  They probably signed up to be police thinking it was easy money taking bribes and looking the other way and never actually realized that the Muslims are willing to die or kill others for their beliefs.  Whatever else we think of Muslims we have to admit they are committed to their beliefs.

In this case the muslims were defending their home turf. I think it more likely that they were willing to kill or die because that is where they live rather than for their beliefs.

Where not the PNP conducting an arrest of known terrorists (criminals) in there own country the Philippines. How is this seen as muslims defending there home turf??

Thomas
Posted
Posted

This is a culture of "Me first, then you".  It doesn't surprise me that they want to quit.  They probably signed up to be police thinking it was easy money taking bribes and looking the other way and never actually realized that the Muslims are willing to die or kill others for their beliefs.  Whatever else we think of Muslims we have to admit they are committed to their beliefs.

In this case the muslims were defending their home turf. I think it more likely that they were willing to kill or die because that is where they live rather than for their beliefs.

Where not the PNP conducting an arrest of known terrorists (criminals) in there own country the Philippines. How is this seen as muslims defending there home turf??

The problem depend basicly of the muslims have the oppinion it's theirs.

I mean the muslims, who bother.

(Because either Spainards or the Filipinos did defeat the Mores. It was the Americans. When the Americans left they gave whole to the Filipinos (Manila) which annoy the muslims, who find them being entilted to having their own country (territory) as they had before the Americans defeated them...)

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

That sums up so much of what is wrong with this country, politically!  :tiphat:

Jake
Posted
Posted

I am not sure that someone with no military or police background should comment on this, but it seems to me that the Filipinos make a problem for themselves.

The Filipinos are not generally considered to be what we British, in the days of our Empire, called a "martial race". The old British Empire recruited its soldiers from the "martial races" - the Sikhs, for instance, were a "martial race" and could join the Indian Army but the Gujeratis were not, and could not. The perfect "martial race" are the Ghurkas. Superbly disciplined, extremely tough, and incredibly brave - and 13 Victoria Crosses. As a mental exercise, imagine that your are in a fight to the death, and you are out-numbered, but you can have  one companion - would you choose a Ghurka or a Filipino?

The problem is that Filipino culture gives very high marks to "machismo".  So we have a society composed of men who are not well discipined, not particularly tough, and not particularly brave - but who are expected to be so!

Allied to this is the problem of leadership within the military and the police - no soldier or policeman is willing to die for an officer who he knows is corrupt. It's a simple as that.

Triple LIKE Andrew!

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Because that part of the Philippines, the SW part of Mindanao has been muslim long before there was a Philippine nation, long before even the spanish arrived to colonize the Philippines. Those muslims have wanted to regain their autonomy ever since the spanish arrived regardless of who was in control in Manila.

• Like 2