Buying Appliances

tohopko
Posted
Posted

Need to buy two air-cons and possibly an on-demand water heater when I arrive.  What is the best buy, at duty free or local city stores?

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Welcome.

My opinion is for the on-demand water heater try Citi Hardware. For your A/C, you can find Carrier brand at your nearby Mall appliance store. My experience.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Just shop for whatever is on sale locally and do your research to decide what brand names or generic models you like.  Everyone's taste is different.  I paid 4,000 pesos for a new 'on-demand' hot water heater because it was on sale and I installed it myself.  Other models go for 5 times that amount.  Its a matter of personal choice.  You can even buy them online.  Here is an example of a water heater for about 4,000 pesos

http://www.lazada.com.ph/joven-2000es510-single-point-water-heater-white-512678.html

Aircons are the same.  So many personal decisions to make.  Window type or split type, inverter or non-inverter, low cost or large power savings, size, brand name etc etc.  You can buy them on line too.  The instalation is usually done by a private contractor no matter where you buy the unit.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Toh...when we built our house we bought aircons, stoves, water heater and pretty much all the appliances needed. We compared prices at Wilcon, Home Depot, SM Appliance, Robinson's, Abenson's and a couple of other places. We found that the price never varied by 500 peso's or so. (collusion? lolol).

So now days I really don't comparison shop anymore.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
What is the best buy, at duty free or local city stores?

I doubt if you can get aircons or water heaters at duty free shops.

To get an idea for aircons etc you can check out costs here, http://www.cebuappliancecenter.com/product-category/air-conditioners/

tohopko
Posted
Posted

Thanks much for all your input.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Welcome.

My opinion is for the on-demand water heater try Citi Hardware. For your A/C, you can find Carrier brand at your nearby Mall appliance store. My experience.

Not sure where Carrier is made. But the product is superior to similar units in the market. You will see the brand in high level hotels and restaurants.

Water heater for 8000 pesos you are going in blind. Wilcon does ok with those kind of products and the purchase includes a home visit to test the product after installation. And installation advice, but not free installation, you need a plumber or someone who understands the system.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Not sure where Carrier is made. But the product is superior to similar units in the market.

That was my perception too, until I asked the owner of the company who installs and services my aircon.  He informed me that all the major brands break down within similar time frames and all cost about the same to fix.  But Carrier has great brand recognition so who knows, it just may be better.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Not sure where Carrier is made. But the product is superior to similar units in the market.

That was my perception too, until I asked the owner of the company who installs and services my aircon.  He informed me that all the major brands break down within similar time frames and all cost about the same to fix.  But Carrier has great brand recognition so who knows, it just may be better.

I have forgot which brand I have in my house in Sweden (used for heating, but it can cool too) but it's a common Asian brand. Mitsubishi? Yamaha?

I suppouse they are available in Phils too.

It has been on all the time around half the year in around 20 years and it functions still.

But perhaps it functions BECAUSE it's old  :mocking:    It seem things done many years ago had better quality...

(E g I have a Macintosh computer which is over 25 years and still running, while recent PCs have broke in a few years each. And my refrigirator was old allready 25 years ago  :lol:  but it's still running. Freezer and washingmashine are over 20 years too, still running.   My sister's later bought things have broke, so it's sad I can't bring my old appliances to Phils   :)

Dolby
Posted
Posted

Last year, I had to furnish a residence so I had to buy the heater and couple of split aircons.

For the water heater, I bought the cheapest on sale one. I think it was 6500 p and the brand was Champs. I installed it myself.

For the AC, first I decided on the size (horse power) which goes by the size of the area your trying to cool, inverter type (they say it saves energy), brand then cost.

I made the mistake of choosing the Samsung brand for both of course.

If I had to redo it I would do the Carrier now even if it was more expensive.

The window ones are noisier and I don't think they'd save energy but cheaper of course.

Go with your budget, situation and needs..

• Like 2