Get Your Bike Out

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
Washington DC, Aug 13 (ANI): Men who workout moderately may face reduced risk of heart failure, claims a new study.

Researchers assigned each type of physical activity an intensity score and determined walking or bicycling just 20 minutes per day was associated with a 21 percent lower risk of heart failure and accounted for the largest difference in heart failure free survival.

Of the men diagnosed with heart failure during the course of study, those who had engaged in at least 20 minutes per day in walking or bicycling were approximately eight months older compared to heart failure cases who had engaged in less than 20 minutes per day of walking or bicycling.

Upon analysing the different types of activities, certain types of physical activity were associated with reduced risk of heart failure such as walking and bicycling or exercising more than one hour per week.

Meanwhile occupation, household work and physical inactivity were not significantly associated with heart failure development.

Researchers also found that men who were active at 30 years old but were inactive at the time of study enrollment did not have a decreased risk of heart failure.

Andrea Bellavia of the Karolinska Institute said that because participants in the study cohort had also provided information about their physical activity at age 30, as well as at the time of enrollment around age 60, they were able to examine the long-term impacts of physical activity on heart failure.

The authors of the study cautioned that the link between physical activity and heart disease was not fully understood, as heavy physical activity, such as long distance running, or manual labor may put stress on the body, which in turn has adverse effects on the heart.

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Everything in moderation and enjoy your life.

If you worry to much the stress will kill you.

• Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I intend to have a bike when we are in the Phils, plus less stress, i should like to 100, thats if i am not knock of the bloody thing first

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Long distance, endurance type of training (which I do), has some additional risks involved. In my case, at my age it must be beneficial. But heart scans done after ultra endurance events have shown micro tissue damage which may or not be reversible.

Moderation is ok. One minute of high intensity aerobic exercise repeated 5 times in a week has been shown to have the most benefit in improving blood profiles and protecting cardiac health. A person should not attempt it unless already on an exercise regime, perhaps a medical check up.

I have been active in sports since age 5-6. I have not stopped or had many long breaks over almost 60 years. I have had knee trouble and some varicose veins, both corrected.

I do 100 kms on a road bike or MTB about twice a week, 5 rides in all. Up to 300 km, some of it extremely hard. And I alternate maybe an easy week every 3 weeks. I need a full rest day sometimes lying in bed after a hard day on the bike. I still race MTB and have races upcoming.

That's me. But I have been lead to believe the one minute high intensity program has a similar value.

So do I lose weight doing all that? Surprisingly not much because we eat as much as we burn.

I lost 9 kg on a HFLC diet, high fat, low carb. I got down to 73 kg and the exercise holds me there.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Long distance, endurance type of training (which I do), has some additional risks involved. In my case, at my age it must be beneficial. But heart scans done after ultra endurance events have shown micro tissue damage which may or not be reversible.

Moderation is ok. One minute of high intensity aerobic exercise repeated 5 times in a week has been shown to have the most benefit in improving blood profiles and protecting cardiac health. A person should not attempt it unless already on an exercise regime, perhaps a medical check up.

I have been active in sports since age 5-6. I have not stopped or had many long breaks over almost 60 years. I have had knee trouble and some varicose veins, both corrected.

I do 100 kms on a road bike or MTB about twice a week, 5 rides in all. Up to 300 km, some of it extremely hard. And I alternate maybe an easy week every 3 weeks. I need a full rest day sometimes lying in bed after a hard day on the bike. I still race MTB and have races upcoming.

That's me. But I have been lead to believe the one minute high intensity program has a similar value.

So do I lose weight doing all that? Surprisingly not much because we eat as much as we burn.

I lost 9 kg on a HFLC diet, high fat, low carb. I got down to 73 kg and the exercise holds me there.

Do you wear a cycle helmet when out on your bike Chris

stevewool
Posted
Posted

On our last trip over there i was amazed on how many cyclist was around , not your average bike rider but these was all togged up to the nines, infact it looked like the tour de France was in town, all the riders looked smart and there was groups everywhere, in the towns and in the countryside you just kept on passing them

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Do you wear a cycle helmet when out on your bike Chris

Yes of course, it's an original Ironman helmet from 2002, same as Chris Boardman used around that time and still has the Ironman stickers on it.

All my stuff is original. However as top line bikes have become more expensive, generic bikes from China, using original components are way down in price especially if you can assemble the bike yourself. By assembly I don't mean just putting it together, I mean acquiring al the parts wholesale and with assistance build the bike as we are doing right now.

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

On our last trip over there i was amazed on how many cyclist was around , not your average bike rider but these was all togged up to the nines, infact it looked like the tour de France was in town, all the riders looked smart and there was groups everywhere, in the towns and in the countryside you just kept on passing them

Recreational biking around Quezon City is big on Sunday AM. Marikina has designated bike lanes but the real Sunday action is at MOA, Mall of Asia where a few hundred or probably 1000 or more gather. And at Quezon Memorial Circle where they close the inside lane Sunday AM 6-10 AM (AM not PM)

Filipino's love uniforms and they love the social aspect of training. Most of the kit is Chinese knock off, but the quality and the designs are good. Trendy. On the day of the event the Filipino is more likely to no show, they love looking good but they don't like hard competition. While training at MOA, trhere's large groups at the roadside chatting or eating, less on the road.

I belong to a club. And we have a uniform, dues were a nominal 10 pesos a month and they were hard to collect. The other day we were out mid week 6 of us. We had a 300 peso bill for coke and miki miki, coconut based noodle soup. the collection was about 50 pesos, me and one other guy paid the rest and he gave me a funny look when he didn't get his full change.

We also ride off road. Can be a bit more dangerous but it more challenging. I have ridden single track and been confronted by a caribao coming up opposite me and only a few feet to get through.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I have been told there are a few bike shops around the Marikina area that sell good bikes and will maintain them too, again i have been told, so i do not now if its true

chris49
Posted
Posted

I would say yes, Marikina is that kind of place. But having a bike shop maintain your bike can be a trap also, if it's a trendy kind of place.

Better to find solo guy who might work in a small workshop charging very nominal amounts and you do see this around.

However the real center of bike shops is in Quiapo, an amazing array of mid to low range bikes, where I have seen bikes sold at a rate of one bike every 15 mins of Saturday/Sunday afternoon. We go there, in fact we stay in the area on our occasional visits to Manila.

Quiapo opposite the church on the other side and 200 metres to the north.

• Like 1