Get Your Bike Out

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I should also mention that over 6-7 moderate hills I was struggling to hold my place and I had to ride hard to get back. I think they eased off, they usually do.

Ya did good!

When we hear about 65 year-olds having heart attacks and dying just from sex that's too vigorous for their ticker, then we have to be amazed by someone of that era doing a bicycle ride of that distance. Were you born in '49 as your forum name suggests? Were you the eldest on the ride?

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yes, November 1949.

I estimate 2 riders around 50. An old guy maybe my age, maybe 62-63. Main group 20's-40. Then juniors 18-19. A lot of it is on the quality of bike, if lightweight, hi tech, that will make a difference over a long ride.

I see the kids with fathers maybe working overseas, and I see the guys who have pieced bikes together almost from a junkpile. Remember Filipino's are good technicians, very strong mechanical skills, you se that also.

You get to know the people. I see a few guys who don't even have 20 pesos in the pocket, others with wad of notes, because we will take a collection for the payment of food. It evens out though, I throw in 100, as will a few others to make up the difference. I have also see a rider, a poor fisherman, but a good cyclist, very shy to even sit down with us unless we force him.

If in Australia at 65-66, it's quite normal to see, plenty of them highly competitive and not only recreational.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Yes, November 1949.

I estimate 2 riders around 50. An old guy maybe my age, maybe 62-63. Main group 30-40. Then juniors 18-19. A lot of it is on the quality of bike, if lightweight, hi tech, that will make a difference over a long ride.

I see the kids with fathers maybe working overseas, and I see the guys who have pieced bikes together almost from a junkpile. Remember Filipino's are good technicians, very strong mechanical skills, you se that also.

You get to know the people. I see a few guys who don't even have 20 pesos in the pocket, others with wad of notes, because we will take a collection for the payment of food. It evens out though, I throw in 100, as will a few others to make up the difference. I have also see a rider, a poor fisherman, but a good cyclist, very shy to even sit down with us unless we force him.

If in Australia at 65-66, it's quite normal to see, plenty of them highly competitive and not only recreational.

Good on you all Chris, if you ever need one of those blokes that you lot follow on his motorized cycle and use as a wind breaker i am your man :thumbsup:

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

The only time I thought I was going to stroke out, or heart attack, it was not a bike I was riding ha ha    :tiphat:

Was it a horse?

• Like 4

chris49
Posted
Posted

I don't want to say, I did this and others can't.

Anyone can ride a bike. And Mountain Bikes are very easy and quite safe. There's a "Fat Bike" with wheels and tires as big as motorbike tires. MTB, Mountain Bike with big tires will go over anything.

I mix up weight training with biking, swimming when possible. I found that weight training, light repetitions is the single most important exercise for a Senior. All other exercises burn muscle, weights will help you maintain what you have. Swimming is nice, but there are many reasons you can't do it everyday.

I got out today at 5 30, to meet up with 3 riders. It was 6 30 before we got going. And we as usual had a merienda while out. I also picked up a few things from the supermarket, so rode home with a 5 kg load in the backpack.

Many benefits. Gina doesn't seem to mind and it kills a good part of the day, because I will have a 2 hour nap in the afternoon.

Even in a city, even riding around a sub division, it is something that most of you could do.

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
When we hear about 65 year-olds having heart attacks and dying just from sex that's too vigorous for their ticker, then we have to be amazed by someone of that era doing a bicycle ride of that distance. Were you born in '49 as your forum name suggests? Were you the eldest on the ride?

Just when it was time to dust that old bike off........Worst Exercise For Middle Age (p1)

• 2 weeks later...
chris49
Posted
Posted

A friend has died after an event in Riyadh. 65 years old, no warning, he collapsed and died despite resuscitation efforts. Our Filipino club members had a stop mid ride, at my request, for a memorial salute and a picture.

JGF doesn't like FB links. And this tragic event was not Philippines related. For those who want more details add me on FB or see my Timeline. Chris Arrowsmith from Canberra or Vigan City.

We went out again at 5 30 this morning. 114 km door to door with the first break at 60 km. I took another one at 90 km.

Cracking pace but I held on early. The back door guys like me had a strategy not to stop as the group will do sometimes. Naturally they were the Class A guys and were much faster. I was doing ok, but the other rider confused me, he said we are at the back, so picked up the pace. We picked it up about 2 km faster but when we got to 60 km, we were ahead of the last 12 riders. We didn't know exactly where they were.

After the meal break and the memorial break, everyone took it easy for a while. I was right in there, but a few were taking it easy. After the break at 90, I had another snack and drink, but the other guys already went ahead. It got real hard, so I slowed it way down in order to make it home.

I get a new bike on Monday, racer MTB, fast and light with the bigger 29 inch wheels. It quite high and may take time to get used to.

I'm as fit as I can be, recovering well. As now. We might be racing in 2 weeks up in Cagayan, so will get off onto the trails this next 10 days.

So Chris someone died doing this sport, what do you think about that?  Mate, it is a very personal thing. I do not want to leave 2 young kids and a wife just because of an accident or an event on the bike. But I want my kids in sports. My family is like that, playing HS, club and college level sports, so I want my kids doing that also.

In the interest of safety I will be even more careful. But in the interest of fitness and being competitive, I will not back off. I am bound to fall off the MTB, but it wont be life threatening and it won't stop me in any way. If I'm 73-74 and my kids come out great. If I'm not here it wont happen, but if I'm not fit it won't happen also.

Respect the sport, but play the game hard. Not to win, but to give your best performance, your best example to others. Invest money in some decent equipment and try to go on from there.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Whod'a  thunk it? Off I go at 7.15am  this Morning 5.5 km round trip  to the Bread shop. nice easy 25 min exercise, ready for Breakfast.

HUH! Flat Tyre within 6/7 mins from Home. End up walking to vulcanizing Shop, HUH! Still in Bed. Fiesta last night. Leave the Bike there and walk to the Shop, get back and he is doing the mend, AH Good? NO! Needs a new Inner, OK, so can you get one and call me later? Yes Sir OK! That's Good. :no:

Why am I posting this so late. EASY  post-2148-0-96098200-1440925646_thumb.jp  :hystery:

Continued in the Morning OK?

JP :tiphat:

stevewool
Posted
Posted

what about getting that stuff you put inside your tyres so they dont get punctures tyreweld i think its called, or get yourself one of these,

post-2574-0-89699100-1440926612_thumb.pn

or try one of these

post-2574-0-20650800-1440926623_thumb.jp

• Like 1