Get Your Bike Out

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Very messy the Tyre goo Steve. If ever you do get a problem you have difficulty removing the residue. Good I think for the pro's because they can throw away a tire. They also don't like it because it adds weight.

The actual solution is tubleless. Also glue on and of course more expensive. If ever you run over a bottle, you may have lost your money in one go.

Edited by chris49

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Very messy the Tyre goo Steve. If ever you do get a problem you have difficulty removing the residue. Good I think for the pro's because they can throw away a tire. They also don't like it because it adds weight.

The actual solution is tubleless. Also glue on and of course more expensive. If ever you run over a bottle, you may have lost your money in one go.

Someone has been at the Tanduay I repeat someone has been at the Tanduay :cheersty:

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Quite Gooey :rolleyes: But no add mixtures :no:  Promise. :tiphat: 

chris49
Posted
Posted

Saturday again. Riding a new 29 inch MTB, a steal at 36k. We built it here in the bike shop.

About 30 riders out, some would not go the full distance. The ride is 90 km and there's a 3 km hill climb at the half way point. I was in Group B, at times leading it. But as we got on the secondary road which was under repair, leading to the hill, I dropped back a bit.

A few riders elected not to climb. It was not severe but 3km up to the top. I was last, dead last, then I passed 4 riders on the way up who had stopped or were walking. Then we came back down at 55 kpm for a short distance.

Again the standard was quite high today but Group B somehow disappeared. At the Merienda break there's only 23/30. The bill was 715 pesos for 23 riders, miki miki and coke.

I slept well last night and had a few spoons of the famous Baguio Peanut Butter before I left this morning. And a positive check on my weight a few days ago. 74.5 kg.

Lost another friend yesterday, died suddenly after heart surgery. Not sports related, but that's 2 in a week.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I believe it was an other topic where some asked for mountain tracks, but I didn't found it, so I put it here   :)

A bunch of Filipinos with mountain bikes went this route and liked it. It included visiting some goats   :)

It's to easy for them who want hard to drive tracks, but it's a rather nice view trip mainly at ondulating hills.

At Cebu island, ftom Catmon up in the mountains to the south parts of Sogod, then going inside Sogod until coming down to the highway in Sogod.  Most of the road is gravel.

chris49
Posted
Posted

I believe it was an other topic where some asked for mountain tracks, but I didn't found it, so I put it here   :)

A bunch of Filipinos with mountain bikes went this route and liked it. It included visiting some goats   :)

It's to easy for them who want hard to drive tracks, but it's a rather nice view trip mainly at ondulating hills.

At Cebu island, ftom Catmon up in the mountains to the south parts of Sogod, then going inside Sogod until coming down to the highway in Sogod.  Most of the road is gravel.

MTB riding (where's the link?), here up north, all over the Philippines is amazing, but not without risk. We don't go out alone over trails, but we might ride alone on the highway, although there are other riders. We saw up to 200 riders today mostly MTB.

We rode down to Narvacan, 60 km one way from **San Juan, Ilocos Sur down to Narvacan. We hugged the coastfor about 20 km, beautiful scene 100% undeveloped. The rocky coast and out crops reminded me of S.E. Vicoria. We also saw 2 swimming beaches with people in swimming.

We visited a bike shop down there, just 7 of us, a few others did not make the entire trip. Then we rode back another 60 km, in 2 segments of 30 km. The level of rider, lets say Grade D if in Australia, suited me and I was on the pace all day. Had a few turns up front and did not get dropped back. All friends in the group so some support.

The coastal road was an alternative route and hardly saw a car over about 50 minutes riding. We had a miki soup a bigger deluxe version, 40 pesos. A lady tipped me the place and she was right.

Another warning. You need a proper bike with proper racing wheels to do this kind of riding. A 5 k steel frame wont cut it. I reckon about $500, 22k pesos minimum entry level, unless you are going to build it yourself. If building from parts...12-15k.

**San Juan Ilocos Sur. Not San Juan La Union, the one I have been mentioning lately. San Juan Ilocos Sur,25 km north of Vigan.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hello Chris,

I really admire your stamina Chris, especially keeping up or leading the younger guys on long road trips.  Do you guys have any support vehicles following the group, just in case of emergency?  I also admire your courage exposing yourself to all the crazy bus drivers trying to run you off the road.  Have you had any close calls lately?  

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

We saw up to 200 riders today mostly MTB.

That is a lot of Bikers with stuff worth a lot of money for a supposed Poor Country :unsure:

I am Impressed by the Speeds you must get up to seeing as it is 1.44pm when you posted and you didn't seem out of Breath on your Typing.  :hystery: so I guess you made good  SteadyTime.

But Seriously Chris, the Km you mentioned 120 round trip, any idea of your average speeds?

JP :)

chris49
Posted
Posted

We saw up to 200 riders today mostly MTB.

That is a lot of Bikers with stuff worth a lot of money for a supposed Poor Country :unsure:

I am Impressed by the Speeds you must get up to seeing as it is 1.44pm when you posted and you didn't seem out of Breath on your Typing.  :hystery: so I guess you made good  SteadyTime.

But Seriously Chris, the Km you mentioned 120 round trip, any idea of your average speeds?

JP :)

25-33 kph on a MTB. But average over the trip 23-24, factoring several gradients longish but not really hills. I left my house 5 30 AM, meet the guys at 6 20...got home at 1 PM. Over 5 hours riding time.

Bike pricing can be deceptive. Some clever guys have built up there own while the top guys get stuff in from China. It's like Class A, but recently the quality is very good. A carbon MTB good go 90-100 k...haven't seen them, but there's a compromise, alloy frame with carbon wheels, 50 k in pesos. And quite a few cheaper bikes of course.

I'm stronger on the new bike because it weighs less and I have lost weight this year also. The bike goes particularly well uphill and downhill. Riding flat I have to pull out extra to stay with the team.

chris49
Posted
Posted

Hello Chris,

I really admire your stamina Chris, especially keeping up or leading the younger guys on long road trips.  Do you guys have any support vehicles following the group, just in case of emergency?  I also admire your courage exposing yourself to all the crazy bus drivers trying to run you off the road.  Have you had any close calls lately?  

Respectfully -- Jake

I had a problem with encroaching vehicles from driveways and side roads. Mostly causing me to swerve out and that would put me in the middle of the road. Buses are very very careful but when they see an opening they go for it. Driving a long distance bus has a few perks so (IMO) they don't risk there job. I probably get more trouble from tricycle drivers and motorbikes without rearview mirrors.

No support vehicle. About twice or 3 times in a year we have a truck to take us somewhere. There was one today going north to a race but only a few guys went, overnight trip.

We carry spares and puncture kits and there's a lot of tayler guys along the highway.

• Like 1