Pemberton

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
If he is found innocent

Then his troubles are only beginning, remember he is an active duty Marine, if he is found innocent I will bet the bank that he will be handed Article 15 charges for conduct unbecoming about 43 seconds after he gets back to the states.

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
he will be handed Article 15 charges for conduct unbecoming about 43 seconds after he gets back to the states.

Only if he's fortunate, more like a summery or general court martial, and hard time. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Just to refresh and report, Verdicts in

Pemberton found guilty of homicide for Laude slay | News | GMA News Online

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/546345/news/nation/pemberton-found-guilty-of-homicide-for-laude-slay#sthash.vg3xJz7n.dpuf

Jack  :tiphat:

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

He was sentenced to 6-12 years, and fined p50,000.  Glad the court did not grant the family the 100 million pesos they asked for.    There will, of course, be an appeal.... we'll see how that goes.

http://cnnphilippines.com/news/2015/12/01/joseph-scott-pemberton-transgender-Jennifer-Laude-murder-trial-verdict-guilty.html

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Glad the court did not grant the family the 100 million pesos they asked for.    There will, of course, be an appeal.... we'll see how that goes.

Somewhere and I will try and Find it the family were Granted 4.5 million damages.

Apparently there can be no appeal in case it evokes Double Jeopardy

OK Got it

* Pemberton was sentenced to 6-12 years imprisonment and ordered to pay the Laude family at least P4.5 million for various damages.

** Lawyer Harry Roque, at a press briefing after the promulgation, said they could no longer appeal the case as doing so would constitute double jeopardy.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/546345/news/nation/pemberton-found-guilty-of-homicide-for-laude-slay

Jack :tiphat:

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Actually I did not read the article I linked to well enough ha ha...

The court granted Jennifer’s heirs with P50,000 pesos as civil indemnity, P4.3 million for loss of earning capacity, P50,000 for moral damages and P30,000 for exemplary damages.
  4.3 million loss of earnings?  I doubt Laude would ever make that much....

An appeal is double jeopardy... that is predictably bass ackwards.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I have a little problem with the 4.3 million loss of earnings - how was Laude earning and what evidence of earnings was submitted to the Court? 

A British or Australian or US court would want to see tax returns. Were such forthcoming?

And if Laude was earning as a transexual prostitute, then given that prostitution is illegal in the Philippines, living on immoral earnings must be illegal as well, so surely the award of damages is void for breach of public policy?   

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
how was Laude earning and what evidence of earnings was submitted to the Court?

Perhaps, just perhaps the court took into account that Jeffery was engaged to a German national, and as we all know the husbands money is the wifes money. Just a guess :unsure:

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Yeah it was either her earnings on the street - or lost potential Western Union from her German boyfriend? 4.5 million seems extreme... but the family asked for 100 million in unspecified damages.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Too deep for me tonight, I will give my Verdict tomorrow :hystery:

Jack :thumbsup:

• Like 1