Pemberton

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)
Poor little blighter - only a kid. Ment or sarcastic?

Meant. Poor kid is younger than my own half Filipino son who is no sort of an adult at 20 

The verdict and sentence seem reasonable given the evidence but I can't help thinking of the verdict in the Anikow case, the US Marine Major who was stabbed to death in Makati in 2012. Four defendants, all from well to do families, were charged with murder. Eventually, 2 were acquitted and 2 had their sentences reduced to Homicide, same as Pemberton. The two who were convivted were sentenced to probation, no jail. Can you imagine the row if Pemberton had received something like probation instead of 6 to 12? I wonder what probation amounts to for a couple of wealthy young men here?

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/671248/us-marine-slay-case-osg-hits-makati-judge-who-let-convicts-wander-free

I could not agree more.

Utterly disgraceful. 

Edited by Methersgate

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Which means the court found no premeditation or intention, and carries a lighter sentence.
But in this case he BOTH strangled and drowned the victim, so I call it INTENTIONAL MURDER undepending what the law call it...
Bearing in mind this is a "One Judge" Verdict and it would seem a very Weak Defence I wonder what the verdict would have been, with a Good Defence and a Jury?
Do you mean he didn't made the killing (with both strangle and drowning)? Or WHY do you find the verdict to high???

IF it's true, I find the verdict MUCH TO LOW...

That's MUCH different from e g hit someone ONCE with a fist and the victim die by the FALL hiting the head in something, which kill him...

Compare:

(From a documentary from USA.)

A 17 year old with no or almost no criminal background was THREATENED by a drug gang to lock up a door or be killed himself.

He didn'ẗ have much choise other than unlock, and two from that GANG killed one, who had robbed them.

He told the truth to police, but when the police said he had to tell who the two killers are, then he broke down and said he can't tell, because then they will kill his family. So he didn't tell to save his family...

He got 10 years....

Thomas
Posted
Posted

The verdict and sentence seem reasonable given the evidence but I can't help thinking of the verdict in the Anikow case, the US Marine Major who was stabbed to death in Makati in 2012. Four defendants, all from well to do families, were charged with murder. Eventually, 2 were acquitted and 2 had their sentences reduced to Homicide, same as Pemberton. The two who were convivted were sentenced to probation, no jail. Can you imagine the row if Pemberton had received something like probation instead of 6 to 12? I wonder what probation amounts to for a couple of wealthy young men here?

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/671248/us-marine-slay-case-osg-hits-makati-judge-who-let-convicts-wander-free

The Anikow case was CRAZY much to low...

Poor little blighter - only a kid. Ment or sarcastic?

Meant. Poor kid is younger than my own half Filipino son who is no sort of an adult at 20

I would have found it different if he had killed by ONE fast hit with not much time to stop,

BUT strangling and drowning take much LONGER time to stop...

Even much younger than him are suppoused to KNOW that's very much wrong.

He will be OUT when he will be YOUNG STILL.

while the victim will be DEAD FOR EVER...

So I don't feel sorry at all for the MURDERER... :1 (72):

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Do you mean he didn't made the killing

In the law Thomas, there is a difference between crime of passion and premeditated murder. The terminology is different, but the meaning is the same. For instance, if this crime happened in the States, our term would be "manslaughter". Now if it was proved that the young man KNEW that the victim was really a man, and took him to the hotel with the INTENT of killing him, then the crime would be termed "homicide" or Murder in the 1st degree. Same meaning just different words.

Hope that helped :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Well, here's another curve ball.  While attending a political science class in the Philippines, I ask about their term called frustrated murder and frustrated rape.  The professor answered with a tongue in cheek.......the perpetrator was frustrated because his crime was not accomplished.  Same goes with the frustrated rape situation.  

Anyway, I looked it up and still confused after all these years.  Anybody out there that understands lawyer speak?  

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Do you mean he didn't made the killing

In the law Thomas, there is a difference between crime of passion and premeditated murder. The terminology is different, but the meaning is the same. For instance, if this crime happened in the States, our term would be "manslaughter". Now if it was proved that the young man KNEW that the victim was really a man, and took him to the hotel with the INTENT of killing him, then the crime would be termed "homicide" or Murder in the 1st degree. Same meaning just different words.

Hope that helped :thumbsup:

It wasn't the common situation for passion crimes   :mocking:

Yes I know it's difference between planed and not planed, but I find the verdict much to low anyway. Strangling AND drowning take long enough time to give him time to calm down, it WASN'T just one hit, and the MOTIVE was REDICILOUS to be worth more than a hit...

canadamale
Posted
Posted
The US has failed this young Marine, I was stationed at Clark AB in the 70's and the first briefing we had informed us of the "Ladyboy" culture outside the gates of Clark AB. I'm sure with
  I find it hard to believe a 20 yr old would not know of the ladyboy culture in the Philippines.In the 70's maybe but with all the awareness of gays today not likely,  and  If he is guilty of taking another life than he got off easy..maybe he has family who can send him money and pay support when he is in prison. If he is  guilty he should do the time. we all know or should know that if we commit crimes in the Philippines we play by there rules. 
  • Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

if we commit crimes in the Philippines we play by there rules.

Right, just understand there are different "rules" for different people. It's a little hard to reconcile a suspended sentence and probation with 6 to 12 years for the same crime, neither parties with prior convictions. And the monetary compensation is a little askew, Anikow's killers were ordered to pay his family p375k. The compensation adjudged to Pemberton totaled p4.6 million based on such things as expected loss of future income, "civil indemnity" (whatever that is), wake and funeral expenses, etc. His eventual release will be dependent on that being paid in full. Major Anikow was a career Marine officer, a decorated veteran. He was 41 years old. Hard to understand how they came up with p375k total.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
Major Anikow was a career Marine officer, a decorated veteran. He was 41 years old. Hard to understand how they came up with p375k total.

Simple. the murderers were locals.  Also, it is always the foreigners fault. If he was not in the country... they could not of killed him - his fault.  :tiphat:

• Like 3