Pemberton

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

A well informed little bird tells me that the Laude family were offered P20M to drop the case, and that on the advice of Harry Roque, now running for the Senate, they refused and demanded P100M.

I am sure we all feel very sorry for them. 

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

The young Marine was found guilty and was sentenced to several years in prison:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2015/12/01/u-s-marine-convicted-of-killing-filipino-transgender-woman/

Poor little blighter - only a kid.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

The young Marine was found guilty and was sentenced to several years in prison:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2015/12/01/u-s-marine-convicted-of-killing-filipino-transgender-woman/

Poor little blighter - only a kid.

Ment or sarcastic?

(From the article)

A Philippine court on Tuesday found Lance Cpl. Joseph Scott Pemberton, 20, guilty of homicide for choking and then drowning Jennifer Laude, 26, in a toilet bowl in a motel bathroom. Authorities said Pemberton, who was on shore leave in Olongapo City during joint military exercises, killed Laude one night in October 2014 after he discovered that she was transgender.

Asuming it's true, which it seem by the 20 mill offer to DROP the case. He is a MURDERER for a crap "reason" ONLY geting 6-12 years in prison, then he can go on LIVING...

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
6-12 years in prison

Lets try to remember the linguistic differences Thomas. I wont even try to speak to legal system in Sweden. But since the Philippines draws its legal system from the USA (and Spain for some things) the words they use here are similar but not exact.

In the states Homicide is the highest form of murder. Next is Manslaughter (again in the states). Here for some reason, Homicide is like Manslaughter. Which means the court found no premeditation or intention, and carries a lighter sentence.

Don't ask me why they use different terms here, (though I have a few ideas, which I will keep to myself :unsure: )

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Bearing in mind this is a "One Judge" Verdict and it would seem a very Weak Defence I wonder what the verdict would have been, with a Good Defence and a Jury? For me it would never have got to Court in the UK. as Homicide! We only have Murder and I don't think the CPS ( Crown Prosecution Service) would go on the Evidence. (Unsafe Conviction)  [Manslaughter maybe] 

Reading through past posts and Articles it would appear that All through this, the Prosecution rules have never been Followed. 'One Sided comes to mind'

Having said this, 6 to 12 is somewhat a result in his favour Lets hope he sees it out.

Face and Greed seem to be the operative words here.

JMHO

Jack  :unsure:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Jury

And I think we can guess why the "Jury of your peers" system has never caught on here :lol:

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Jury

And I think we can guess why the "Jury of your peers" system has never caught on here :lol:

Oh YES! Quite and I may have answered that with out knowing it in my previous Post

Face and Greed seem to be the operative words here.

Jack  :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

This whole scam has been about one thing "MONEY". First they wanted USA Visas for the whole family and then when the US told them it wasn't going to happen, they went to another plan. The US has failed this young Marine, I was stationed at Clark AB in the 70's and the first briefing we had informed us of the "Ladyboy" culture outside the gates of Clark AB. I'm sure with the current administration those Marines never got that briefing. That's too bad because that briefing could have very well saved Pemberton from the situation he is in now. I don't think he will see inside of a Philippine Prison. When the Philippine authorities tried to take him into custody they were met with a force of 12 Marines. I think there is alot more that they are not telling the public. We will never really know the truth to this but future deployments of US Forces should be briefed on what to expect when it comes to Philippine culture and what can go wrong very quickly.

• Like 5

Mike S
Posted
Posted

This whole scam has been about one thing "MONEY". First they wanted USA Visas for the whole family and then when the US told them it wasn't going to happen, they went to another plan. The US has failed this young Marine, I was stationed at Clark AB in the 70's and the first briefing we had informed us of the "Ladyboy" culture outside the gates of Clark AB. I'm sure with the current administration those Marines never got that briefing. That's too bad because that briefing could have very well saved Pemberton from the situation he is in now. I don't think he will see inside of a Philippine Prison. When the Philippine authorities tried to take him into custody they were met with a force of 12 Marines. I think there is alot more that they are not telling the public. We will never really know the truth to this but future deployments of US Forces should be briefed on what to expect when it comes to Philippine culture and what can go wrong very quickly.

Correct ..... even the military is scared of the PC police .... who wants to loose rank for calling a bakla a bakla or warning anyone to watch out for them ..... better to take a chance and have some bakla in drag get killed and a straight guy accused of murder when he finds out the girl has something hanging where it should not be ..... JMHO ....  :th_unfair: 

:cheersty: