Balikbayan And Continued Flights

Rick Roy
Posted
Posted

Hi, Eventualy me and my wife will be moving to the Philippines and  take advantage of Balikbayan entry, do we need a ticket out even though we will be staying until 1 year? I don't want to waste money on a throwaway 2 tickets if possible.

tohopko
Posted
Posted

We will be on our way in 2 weeks.  As my wife is a dual citizen, is there any advatage her using her Philippine passport over the US one in making it easier for me (US) to stay longer?  Also our son (US)  It sounds like Balikbayan for us is the way to go???

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

It is my understanding that you may have to show your marriage certificate at the at the departing airport, you may also want a copy of the BB privilege rule.  Do this before getting ticket, don't get upset the rule is plain just ask for a supervisor if needed. When you get to Fil make sure the official stamps your passport BB.  

This is what we are doing in Oct. 

jon1
Posted
Posted
The one year continuously rule has now changed and no longer applies.

Please quantify what this means? Are you saying that we can no longer get a BB stamp as a spouse of an OFW?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Please quantify what this means? Are you saying that we can no longer get a BB stamp as a spouse of an OFW?

Go back to #1 and remove the word "continuously". Many at BI are taking this to mean any amount of time of country qualifies as well to qualify initially as a Balikbayan... IE: get married, weekend at Singapore, come back as a BB...

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

No what this means is that the Spouse no longer had to be out of the PI for 1 year

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

We went to the US last year (Sep-Oct) for 3 weeks. I had to have a follow on ticket when checking in with PAL in San Francisco (I had a throw away). Upon our arrival in Manila, the BI Officer gave me a 1 year BB stamp at the wife's request. The BI Officer on our outbound Manila flight told the Mrs to ask for this upon our return. I stayed in country 9 months without having to talk to a BI office or requiring an ECC for my departure. I would rather spend $560 (the cost of a Tourist Visa annually) on a trip with the Mrs out of country and back to reset the 1 year clock rather than give that money to the BI. It also made the Mrs happy that she saved us some $.   :cheersty:

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

We went to the US last year (Sep-Oct) for 3 weeks. I had to have a follow on ticket when checking in with PAL in San Francisco (I had a throw away). Upon our arrival in Manila, the BI Officer gave me a 1 year BB stamp at the wife's request. The BI Officer on our outbound Manila flight told the Mrs to ask for this upon our return. I stayed in country 9 months without having to talk to a BI office or requiring an ECC for my departure. I would rather spend $560 (the cost of a Tourist Visa annually) on a trip with the Mrs out of country and back to reset the 1 year clock rather than give that money to the BI. It also made the Mrs happy that she saved us some $.   :cheersty:

Reviving this as I have the situation coming up and I wanted to ask a few followup questions.

Jon, you had a throw away to show PAL in SFO, but JGF's info is saying we don't need it.  Did you attempt to not use the throwaway and tell PAL you don't need it because you would be Balikbayan?

Does anyone have an experience to share where they did not have a throwaway to show the airline and just told them they would be using the Balikbayan privilege?  And/or just showed them something from BI saying the onward ticket is not needed for Balikbayan?

It appears the 1 year out of country rule certainly does not apply.  Has anyone done multiple Balikbayan entries within a year and can share?

Lastly, I don't think I have ever heard of anyone being refused Balikbayan?  Has anyone ever been refused when they had their proper marriage documents?  I perfectly understand being refused if you can't prove you are married.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Has anyone ever been refused

Only when they did not accept my common law marriage, valid in other countries but does not count in Philippines.  A friend was refused once, but he was not traveling with his wife so that was a valid reason.  No one I know has been refused when they have valid marriage docs and travel together.

• Like 2