Is 2 And 1/2 Hours Adequate Time Between Connecting Flights?

russellmania
Posted
Posted

Im thinking of purchasing a Cebu Pacific flight to Taiwan that arrives there at 8:05pm. My outgoing flight on Eva air to the USA leaves at 10:20pm. I will only have carry on bag at the time. What are my chances of catching the Eva flight?

• Like 1

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Should be OK but if it were me I'd be looking for an earlier arriving flight. Mind I am paranoid about these things.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

It all depends on the logistics. Two hours and 15 minutes should be plenty of time if your connecting flight is at the same international terminal and you don't have to go through immigration. But I have never flown through Tawain and don't know the airport or their policies.

Once flying back to the USA I had a connecting flight at an airport in China. In order to transit to my connecting international flight I had to get my baggage and go through immigration and customs. On  a 2 hour layover that was pretty tight time wise. Why I had to do that I have no idea.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I'm guessing it is sufficient time. The only potential problem is if Cebu Pacific is delayed for any reason. I like Cebu Pacific but it is not the most realiable airline.

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

What are the chances of catching the EVA flight? I would say better than 50-50 :-)

As a general rule I am happy with two hours between flights. My last flights with connecting time were from Manila through Hong Kong and I had fifty minutes connection time. I made it: just. I had the advantage that I was booked all the way through with Cathay Pacific. The onward flight was a code share with Air China which meant that I had to rush from one end of the terminal to the other (and it is a big terminal). I made it because Cathay's ground staff at HK are very good, I was met and rushed through. I took the risk knowing that Cathay would get me on the next available flight so the downside was just a long wait in HK.

AFAICR you will have to change terminals in Taipei, Cebu Pacific arrives at terminal 1 and EVA leaves from terminal 2. However the two terminals are connected by a shuttle train so that should not be a problem.

The downside? Because you are changing airlines neither airline is likely take responsibility in the event of the Cebu Pacific flight being delayed. As far as CP is concerned they have met their commitment when you arrive in in Taipei and EVA would regard you as a no-show.

What would I do? Ideally I would book all the way through with the same airline (EVA does serve Manilla). In a less than ideal world  I would look at the disadvantages of leaving Manila earlier and weigh them against the worst possible case of having to buy another ticket from Taipei and having to pay for an overnight hotel. Then I would check my travel insurance and see what cover (if any) it offers in this situation.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

One of the nice things about all these programs on Discovery, history and those types of channels is the documentaries about how things work (that and being retired and having the time to watch them :hystery: ). Turns out that it is all computerized and they actually track each passenger world wide on each plane, they know who is catching what flight from which connection and approximately how much time there is before he should show up.

Now barring acts of God, or someone decides to sit in the bar until the last minute and then stop at the duty free shop for that last candy bar. They don't book folks unless there is ample time to make connections (at least that is my impression).

In addition I have used Eva air in the past and connected in Taiwan. Very nice airport, nicely organized. If you want my opinion 2-3 hours is more than enough time.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
They don't book folks

THEY don't, but many (most?) of us book our own flights online these days and make different arrangements with different airlines and make our own decisions as to whether we have enough time or not.

Im thinking of purchasing a Cebu Pacific flight to Taiwan that arrives there at 8:05pm. My outgoing flight on Eva air to the USA leaves at 10:20pm. I will only have carry on bag at the time. What are my chances of catching the Eva flight?

Since you have booked separate tickets on different airlines it is hard to know if you will have time.  If it works then we will say:  "Great timing" and give you a pat on the back.  If it doesn't work then we are going to say:  "You should have given yourself more time."   Worst thing is, since you booked it yourself there may be a 'no compensation' clause if you miss the Eva air flight and so IF you miss the filight you are booked on THEN  you may be stranded in Taiwan until you buy another ticket.  Did you look into that?

I'd agree with:

I would say better than 50-50 :-)
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
but many (most?) of us book our own flights online these days and make different arrangements with different airlines

Ah very good point Dave. That really didn't occur to me to be honest. We (the wife actually lolol.) picks the airlines, books the flight all the way through and we have never had a problem. So let me amend my post by saying that over the years using that method we have never had missed connection and only once did one of our four check in bags not arrive with us. The airline delivered it to our home the next day. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

For me I have never split tickets. Using people like Expedia, Travelocity and such always with a Mixture of Airline Partners but gives a Journey Plan from Start to finish but always Checked all the way Through to Manila from Departure. Maybe I am a lucky one but in 19 Journeys both ways, I have never missed a connection or Lost Luggage. These connection Problems can and do arise when we split the ticket supplier and thus remove the continuity of the journey plan.

JMHO But,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted
AFAICR you will have to change terminals in Taipei, Cebu Pacific arrives at terminal 1 and EVA leaves from terminal 2. However the two terminals are connected by a shuttle train so that should not be a problem.

Yes sir you are correct .... when I arrived in Taipei from the US 8 years ago I also took CP to the Philippines with like 1 1/2 hour lay over it was tight but doable as long as you don't have checked baggage ..... CP was late so I had some breathing room .... from the ticket office I had to take an elevator to ground floor as the plane loaded directly off the tarmac ..... almost took the bus to downtown by mistake ..... I thought it was the shuttle to terminal 1 ...

russellmania

Remember if you need help almost no one speaks English there and it was really hard for me because my flight left at 1:30am .... so most stuff was closed ...... thank god I found a Chinese guy who spoke English and he showed me how to get from terminal 2 to terminal 1 ...... you will be in reverse .....

• Like 1