Financial Affidavit

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

Is there anyone here that has gone through this process to bring your spouse to the USA?

I do not want to get into my personal financial situation with everyone but here are the basics.

I do currently earn the required 125% above the poverty line though I did have some problems over the last few years so I'm not sure I met that requirement for 3 years.

Also, I have not filed a return since 2012 I believe. I'm working on all of this now but once filed I'm sure to owe a few thousand to the IRS. How closely do they check this?

Also, from what I read I only need a photo copy of the most recent tax year but would it help to include other things?

Thanks guys

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

So, you have not filed with the IRS for the last 3 years? 2012, 2013, 2014 and you owe the IRS a few thousand dollars?

The only way I see it is if your only source of income for those years has been your social security. Then and only then, you would not be required to file a federal tax return for those years. If you live in a state that has state income tax, you may be required to file. So,maybe Richieboy67 if you are 67 and retired you may be home free.

They do check closely but they ( IRS) have been known to miss some things now that they might catch later.

Good Luck You are going to need it.

• Like 2

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

I'm not trying to get out of paying guys. I just didn't profit much over those years and most of everything I earned went back into my business. I'm fine with paying what I owe but will immigration have an issue with it?

I am writing on filing now and I'll make some sort of a payment plan with the IRS.

Of course I know what the affidavit is for and of course I will always be able to support my wife.

Thanks much

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
I'm not trying to get out of paying guys. I just didn't profit much over those years and most of everything I earned went back into my business. I'm fine with paying what I owe but will immigration have an issue with it?

if you have completed all your back filings and have resolved any issues with the IRS then I expect you will be ok if you can provide the necessary financial support. But you need to do that BEFORE you file the I-130 petition.

• Like 2

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm also wondering about the financial requirement. I think it is only around $20,000. My business earned much more than that but profit is another matter.

Edited by Richieboy67
  • Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I'm also wondering sly the financial requirement. I think it is only around $20,000. My business earned much more than that but profit is another matter.

They are not interested in your balance sheet just your reported personal income.

The requirement is a minimum annual earnings of 125% of the poverty level if your household size is 2 (you and your wife) which is approximately 20k USD per year OR personal assets in excess of 5 times that, or approximately $100k USD cash value of net assets. There is a formula for combining lesser amounts of income and assets to meet the financial requirements.

• Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I'm not trying to get out of paying guys. I just didn't profit much over those years and most of everything I earned went back into my business.
Well. SOME types of investments/costs can be deducted direct, but not all...
My business earned much more than that but profit is another matter.
No it isn't   :)  

if you don't mean the profit in ACOUNTING point of view, which is possible to moderate SOME.

Do you mean earning = revenue?    It isn't. Many Filipinos believe so and get huge problems...  :)

Sometimes it's a problem if having "to good" acounting  (= Get low TAXABLE income). It make low retirement based at income pay, and when you need to SHOW a high enough income as in your case.  Many tax people don't understand there can be a big difference between legaly accessable cash and legaly made taxed income...

(I have a some similar case now for a client. In his case it's money paid BACK of his LOAN to the business, which of course has no tax. I mean of course except for some tax people  :mocking:   The tax controller don't understand it still after both sending the necesary documents and explained the taxed income could have been reduced to around 17 000 USD LESS legaly if we had wanted to, but they question it anyway!!!  wasting both theirs and my time...)

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
Also, I have not filed a return since 2012 I believe. I'm working on all of this now but once filed I'm sure to owe a few

If you are under the poverty line you will get money back from IRS.  Even if you didn't pay.  I believe the line is different in different states in florida for 2 it is about 17k.  If you own a home and receive SS you should be find, I was.

• Like 1

lonewolf
Posted
Posted

and if you can get co sponser because after she gets there and marries you have to do an adjustment of status, and send in another financial aff and at you age and her being younger they require more