Making The Leap And Mind Is Set, Now Have To See If Wallet Is...

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Hi jkeenan....Your plan looks OK, IF your wife really is frugal and knows how to say 'NO' to the relatives.  It can often be problematic to live that close to wife's family, especially in a small, poor area like Anda.  Also, with kids, good medical care and proper schooling will be an issue and there is neither in the area.  Don't even think about sending your kids to public school here, as they are horrible.  Just ask my wife, that's where she teaches..haha.  Just some more things to consider.  

Also most importantly, you should think about renting in the same area nearby your property for at least 6 months BEFORE  CONSTRUCTION BEGINS.  The first few months will be great, but after reality sets in, you might decide you would prefer to live elsewhere.  Not only should you expect the unexpected, but also expect the unimaginable.  It will surely be an adventure!  Good luck to ya :cheersty:   

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
SSI deposit at embassy seems reasonable
Just want to clarify. Are you getting SSI or SSDI or retirement? The reason I ask is because while SSDI & Retirement are payable here, SSI is not after 30 calender days. I also recommend you keep your money stateside. Safer that way.

chris49
Posted
Posted

Just want to clarify. Are you getting SSI or SSDI or retirement? The reason I ask is because while SSDI & Retirement are payable here, SSI is not after 30 calender days. I also recommend you keep your money stateside. Safer that way.

That's not correct if filed through SS at the US Embassy Manila. I have been getting it for 4 years direct deposit to BDO.

What you might be referring to is that if ever SS contacts you as they do from time to time. If they don't hear back from you they may hold your payment.  And it would be resumed if you contact them. The reason being is you must verify that you are still living in order to receive the payment.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Hi jkeenan....Your plan looks OK, IF your wife really is frugal and knows how to say 'NO' to the relatives. It can often be problematic to live that close to wife's family, especially in a small, poor area like Anda. Also, with kids, good medical care and proper schooling will be an issue and there is neither in the area. Don't even think about sending your kids to public school here, as they are horrible. Just ask my wife, that's where she teaches..haha.
If TS consider to live some away, but rather easy to visit the family when YOU want to, Then Tubigon, Bohol, can be an alternative. There is a good Elementary school. (I believe the owner said 2900p per month.) It started because the Filipin-German couple wanted better education for their OWN kids, so they started HOME schooling for them and a few of their friends. The BARANGGAY found it that good so they recomended it WITHOUT asking the owner!  :lol:   Now it has grown to 10 teachers and 75 students...  (Now the husband has died, and it isn't sure the teacher Filipina wife want to continue the school. She hesitate. I believe their kids is to old for Elementary school soon/one allready.)

That's not correct if filed through SS at the US Embassy Manila. I have been getting it for 4 years direct deposit to BDO.

What you might be referring to is that if ever SS contacts you as they do from time to time. If they don't hear back from you they may hold your payment.  And it would be resumed if you contact them. The reason being is you must verify that you are still living in order to receive the payment.

Don't UK have any difference for retired living outside EU?

Sweden have. I believe Canada too. If counted as living outside EU/Canada more than 6 months per year, then they change the conditions. For Sweden it can be better to be counted being outside, if having a very high retirement pay,

but all others lose, some very much, even more than half  :th_unfair:

jkeenan213
Posted
Posted

Steve, not disability (though some may argue otherwise on the mental side :1927_: ) just plain old retirement SSI.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

Steve, not disability (though some may argue otherwise on the mental side :1927_: ) just plain old retirement SSI.

OK good Retirement. But it's not SSI. That is Supplemental Security Income which is based on need and regulated by the state itself. It's the federal version of welfare. It brings your monthly income to the state established minimum if retirement or SSDI are below it. For a more detailed explaination, go to www.ssa.gov . Hope this helps.

PS: This is the one that I mentioned earlier that you will lose 30 calender days after departing the US for SSI is not payable outside the US after that time. It may be restarted 30 days after returning back to the US.

Edited by Steve & Myrlita

jkeenan213
Posted
Posted

Chris is correct.  US SSI (retirement) is collectable regardless of living location.  We paid into it all our lives (the return is a whole other discussion), so makes sense.  There are some places that they will not deposit directly into a foreign bank due to the possibility of terrorism funding, but you can even get it there but with a bit of hassle.  I am establishing a US mail-forwarding address and will retain US checking.

To Thomas, US SSI will contact you every once in a while to hear a breathing voice (or some other form of confirmation that one is still alive) on the other end of the line.  That too, makes sense.  Otherwise at my age I've got a coupla dozen relatives I could be collecting on.  And some try/do which would be a circular discussion back to my comment on return as that fraud directly affects the growth of the pooled funds.  There is no adjustment for overseas living costs.  Though cautious, I think I can find the education I need for the wee ones, and that is outside my published budget...but budgeted.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
To Thomas, US SSI will contact you every once in a while to hear a breathing voice (or some other form of confirmation that one is still alive) on the other end of the line.
Yes.

But I talked about the types which change or ends if being counted as living abroad.

jkeenan213
Posted
Posted

My fault, I'm using the wrong terminology.  I will not be collecting SSI (supplemental income) or SSDI (disability), at least I hope not.  Just retirement benefits.  I do not know about the first two.

jkeenan213
Posted
Posted

So...sharp left turn, as life has a habit of doing.

Got a phone call, have an offer and a deposit on our property in Bohol at 3X+ what we paid with all the fees.  Weighing this against the remoteness of the land, the fact that I'm nearly 60 and will have 2 wee ones that will need elementary/high school and eventually college in a remote even for PI area...I'd be an idiot not to accept.  Doesn't change my living budget much but upsets the first 18 months of expense allocation.  We're going to buy rather than build (thank god)  and as now the entire country opens up, I'll be putting up a location recommendation post or poll if they have them here.

• Like 1