Cost Of Living

DavidK
Posted
Posted

The trouble is it's very difficult to tell the difference between a cartel and healthy competition. They both tend to have the same effect - prices virtually identical wherever you go...........

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
a cartel and healthy competition. They both tend to have the same effect - prices virtually identical wherever you go.........

Maybe but prices should go Down as well as up Cartels will only drop prices when there is a Glut or no sales or some one finds a new Source of Supply

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I have  seen quite an increase in prices in Thailand (Pattaya) over the past 18 months to 2 years.  As others have said, this is a global 

trend.  Petrol here 35bht litre ($1Aus) which has  dropped by about 6 bht over past 12 months.  But in Oz no way, fuel still $1.45 plus per ltr I am advised.

It would seem that food (except for imported) is not the biggest problems, utilities, housing, fuel  are the major factors to consider.

Here in Pattaya, although it has decreased, housing is still overpriced.  I got a bargain and pay 18k bht a month for a nice unit in a

good location that is $700Aus a month.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

We have 3 major grocery chains here and the prices must be set by committee.  

I am sure you are right but to me this cartel type thing should be stopped. The only way any country will bring purchases to a respectable level is by Healthy Competition. Cartels (as we have seen in the oil wars) just keep prices at an artificial level with only one winner. The business owner. But until the DTI here see sense I fear many problems will arise. Even a snail will turn as in Medieval times. People need to feed families.

A one off here:

Spam went up from 99 peso a tin to 125, then to 134 Now Yesterday at on of the larger Shops 145. Azon has not long since rung to say that the other 2 Shops on her route are now all the same all in 3 weeks. YET No one is Giving us or the Filipino any more money to cover this ridiculous and totally unwarranted and I daresay an illegal Hike in prices ( based on the price index indicator for Inflation that was promised by the Administration) This is all bout Greed.

Sunday morning Rant over attachicon.gifwink.png

JP :tiphat:

Morning All :morning1:

Jack we could send a extra few cans of spam to Manila if you want to get them from there :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Jack we could send a extra few cans of spam to Manila if you want to get them from there

MANILA!  OOOOOOOOOOOOOH! no :no:

Sooner pay the new price, costs and aggro considered  :hystery:  but thank you for the offer :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:

stevewool
Posted
Posted

It just goes to show, that prices go up all over the world, but if you do shop wise you still can save a few pennies here and there,

The gaz/fuel price is so silly compared here in England to the USA ns over in the Phills , thats where our saving will be thats if we do have a vehicle

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

It just goes to show, that prices go up all over the world, but if you do shop wise you still can save a few pennies here and there,

The gaz/fuel price is so silly compared here in England to the USA ns over in the Phills , thats where our saving will be thats if we do have a vehicle

A few weeks ago premium fuel was over 47 pesos a litre, I got some today was 36.6, lot of difference.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

thats where our saving will be thats if we do have a vehicle

Of course Gas is only the Start of it, This is what I like about where we are, call it 15 peso a Ride to the City so 30/35 round trip on a Trike. we have a Motorcycle for Azon to go to work and this is about 5000 per year in Reg and Insurance/ Maintenance. We have mechanics right next door and vulcanizers all over but again next door for Tyre Problems. Gas runs about 200/250 peso a week.

Should we want to go anywhere we have a local Taxi man who only ever does private work so we have no need of a car.

to me, the Only reason to have a car is if you are going to use it daily and that can be a Big expenditure on Gas and Maintainance.

Whilst many do not like it, Public Transport ( For What it is. Is Plentiful and Cheap) is the way to go day to day and they can usually get you there a lot Quicker than driving yourself.

JMHO of course but to me Cars are just an unnecessary expenditure with the usual problems. (No AA or RAC here remember.post-2148-0-25555400-1442133989.png but as always each to our own.

JP :thumbsup:

ps a Friend has a Large Hyundai SUV and Fully Com Insurance is 11,600?+ a year but that is worth it for him as it was well over 1.650.000 peso His Tyres are 4.500 each. soon adds up. :unsure:

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I still have so much to learn before i make the move, yes it would be nice to have this and have that, but breaking it down like that Jack, its frightening when you have a budget to last you,

Thanks for bringing me back down to earth :thumbsup:

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I find almost no difference here in prices in different stores.   We have 3 major grocery chains here and the prices must be set by committee.  One chain has better quality produce, another has better quality meat, and the other has more foreign food, but the prices are so close it is not worth the effort to shop around.  We do get our produce at the wet market because it is better and cheaper than any of the grocers, but even at the wet market all the shops are the same price.

It wouldn't suprice me if the BIG guys make cartels,

but there can be other reasons too:

/If they buy the products for same price and add same amount of pesos or percent, they will ask same price. Although I don't believe they use percent adding, because very few Filipinos can count percent  :)

/Filipino retail profit margins are VERY low normaly. Price wars are killing specialy for the small businesses. So it isn't odd if they find out they need to stop asking lower price than the (close) opponents, because many Filipinos are "street smart"  :thumbsup: Otherwice they wouldn't survive.

• Like 2