Cost Of Living

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I find almost no difference here in prices in different stores.   We have 3 major grocery chains here and the prices must be set by committee.  One chain has better quality produce, another has better quality meat, and the other has more foreign food, but the prices are so close it is not worth the effort to shop around.  We do get our produce at the wet market because it is better and cheaper than any of the grocers, but even at the wet market all the shops are the same price.

It wouldn't suprice me if the BIG guys make cartels,

but there can be other reasons too:

/If they buy the products for same price and add same amount of pesos or percent, they will ask same price. Although I don't believe they use percent adding, because very few Filipinos can count percent  :)

/Filipino retail profit margins are VERY low normaly. Price wars are killing specialy for the small businesses. So it isn't odd if they find out they need to stop asking lower price than the (close) opponents, because many Filipinos are "street smart"  :thumbsup: Otherwice they wouldn't survive.

It very well could be that the stores are supplied by the same distributor for the same products. If the distributor has to raise the price then all stores must do the same.

I have seen this in the states with gasoline. Though there may be a dozen different gas station brand names they all can get their gasoline from the same distributor. Thus ending up with the same prices. Because the model in the US is that there is almost no markup on the gasoline the stations make their money off of selling soda, liquor, smokes and snacks.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I see it the toy sections in the stores too.  I was looking a for a remote control helicopter.  SM & Robinson's not only had the same price - but the same exact helicopters - even the same color.  No selection at all ha ha.  Got to be only one distributor they both use... sucks for the consumer.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I see it the toy sections in the stores too.  I was looking a for a remote control helicopter.  SM & Robinson's not only had the same price - but the same exact helicopters - even the same color.  No selection at all ha ha.  Got to be only one distributor they both use... sucks for the consumer.

Lots off great choices here in England , colours/prices and sizes too :thumbsup:

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Harrod's does not have a branch here ha ha  :tiphat: