Is The Gym Really Doing You Good? ( As We Get Older)

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Yes it sounds like a bad routine,but it could also be that he is too old and a milder form of exercise is /was needed

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Yes it sounds like a bad routine,but it could also be that he is too old and a milder form of exercise is /was needed

Just goes to show who we should or shouldn't trust. The doctor for recommending or the Instructor for taking the money and not keeping an eye on him? :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

According to a doctor I asked 3 years ago, the gym is great for us old guys provided it is a half hour walk away and we walk to it.  Also provided we don't overdo it, as in get plenty of rest between routines.  And provided we don't take HGH, (testosterone) to 'help' bulk up.  A lot of old guys believe that HGH is the fountain of youth.  I have heard it definitely is, but at the expense of using up 2 years of your future life for one year of renewed 'youth'.  Just my opinion based on what the doctor and others have said and what I have personally observed.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 5

virginprune
Posted
Posted

For me, walking, cycling and a healthy diet works. A couple of small weights to exercise with at home is also good for upper arm and shoulder muscle strength. Swimming is also very good exercise and if you have one, gardening works well. I have never been a gym bunny and I'm not going to start now!

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey Flyboy (RAF), 

I think having a gym membership is a waste of time and money.  Judy and I was enticed to an introductory offer at our local fitness center but I quit after the first session.  I was too distracted, nearly fell off the tread mill (walking) -- too much tight danskins and sweaty flesh to maintain my concentration.  They did have a couple racket ball courts but no one to play with.  Oh well, back to the tennis courts.

Being old is not necessarily feeling old.  I would love to walk with you Flyboy from one sari-sari store to another, having a cold one or two and playing chess to exercise our brain and getting distracted again from all that female persuasion.  After all, life is grand when you still have that urge of primal instinct to pro create.....he, he.  

May the Force be with ya.........

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

One of the wonderful inventions of the old Canadian RCAF was an exercise routine that any male, of any age, can do to stay in shape.  I used it for years until I just got lazy.  It kept me in the best shape of my life without going to any gym.  The routine is so old that most people have forgotten it or never heard of it but it is as good today as it was 40 or more years ago.

Its called the 5BX plan which is only 5 basic exercises that you can do in your bedroom in 11 minutes, followed by about a 20 minute quick walk.  Here is a link to the pdf file for it and I cannot stress enough how much benefit it gave me over the years.

http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~rfburger/5bx-plan.pdf

Edit:  This is the MALE version of the exercise routine.  For some reason the powers that be felt that females need twice as much of a work out so they get the 10BX plan.  I have never tried that one  :hystery:  so forum female members may be interested in searching it and trying it and then letting us know how it works for them.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Yes, exercise or some sort of it is highly recommended at any age. Exercise plus a healthy diet will keep your health up to par. Smoke and drink and party at your own risk.

You should also keep your brain exercised  with puzzles or some sort of mental exercise besides checking out the young pinays and wishful thinking. That might stimulate your heart but not the right way.

Regular visits to your doc and taking the lab tests that he recommends will keep you and your doc up to date on your health and any adjustments that need to be made. Sometimes, a new Rx or a new test.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I guess I didn't answer your question. Well, in my opinion, it depends. It depends on your present health and what your needs are to get in physical shape for your age.

Your doctor and common sense are your best guides.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Your doctor and common sense are your best guides.

He thought Both were good and it cost him :unsure: