Is The Gym Really Doing You Good? ( As We Get Older)

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Well, I know a lot of people and I'm sure you do too that know smoking is bad for you but still enjoy it. The same with drinking, they know the danger but still continue to load up on suds. The same with diabetics, and those with high cholesterol.

You cannot feel sorry for them. It's their loved ones that will miss them when they bite the dust. So, if they really love those who love them, they would not want them to mourn prematurely.

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

But Gratefueled, it is good for social security.

​I was always of the opinion that the government should send three packs of Camels and a fifth of Jack a day to all citizens who reached sixty-five. that would go with the Harley they would send the next month.  We would not be waiting for our COL increases nearly as long.  If you did,t want the products furnished you could sell to supplement our to low (because they were stolen) pensions.

rant over.  

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

attachicon.gifScratch head.gif I have put this here as it is really a health Question.

Yesterday, On my way back from the Barangay Hall, I popped In to see an old mate from the US. I have not seen him for a few months (In fact, it was Christmas at the Barangay Dinner) Anyway, it turns out that he was the afore mentioned man who upset my BC but I did not mention my Visit or that I knew Things, No, my concern was his Deteriorated Condition that took my attention.

at 6' 3 " and always being about 200+ lbs I was astonished at the sight of him Yesterday, I knew he had had a few Health Problems but at 71 one would expect that but what I saw was a bit of a shock.

Walking Slowly with a somewhat animated gait and seemed so very stiff all over and an evident back problem. Now he told me a couple of Years ago that he had been Military for some 15 years and after, Usually Manual Labour jobs, so it is not as if he was a lazy type but always on the move so to speak. 

Anyway, (sorry I can Waffle) It would appear that since February he was advised to go to the Gym a couple of times a week to help his circulation But He ended up like this, loss of weight, severe aching and I think he may have dislocated his Back or something. He stopped in April because of the Pain. Now I ask, is the Gym really any good for us older people or has this man been given a Bad Routine at the Gym?

To me, His Fitness Instructor has Crippled Him. :unsure:

Guess I will stay to Walking the Dogs and Riding my Bike  :thumbsup:  

JP  :tiphat:

Edited for the usual little Foo Par :hystery:

What is a BC?

90% get along without the gym and the very heavy unbreakable 2 year contracts. 10% if you like that kind of thing, and presumably you are not 71, I can agree to join. 71 is a bit old to get an intro to exercise, it might kill the poor guy.

I found a lot of older women in there who did a lot of socializing, eating and very little exercise. And sometimes we can be like that also. Especially if it's in a mall and you have the habit to eat lunch there. That can be expensive, add that on top of Starbucks coffee and you are spending a lot.

You know my story. I go for the outdoors. If I could I might go to a gym once a week, but on those membership rates I can't justify that. Get set up at home, save time and money.

Gym is also an outlet for lonely people who might link up with other lonely people. so can't argue with that, but personally I don't need that.

Gym might do you some good, but I'm still voting no on the membership.

How about a smaller cheaper gym with less fancy equipment? Avoid like the plague, 50 pesos a day and no shower and some of that equipment is faulty.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

presumably you are not 71,

Getting there but I don't go to the Gym on Doctors Orders  post-2148-0-01696200-1442303326.gif Yep! she said it would do untold damage to Places I don't need any more Problems But then I have the Dogs to walk and my Bike does the rest of all the exercise I want and need. :thumbsup:

JP :)  :tiphat:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
too much tight danskins and sweaty flesh to maintain my concentration.

On a positive note, it did get your heart rate up to speed . . . :hystery:  :hystery:

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Well. I GUESS it's big risk gym will be to much,

but moving is sure good both for stamina and mobility.

My grandfather became 95 and worked until he was 90. He never exersised with weights, but he walked far, and even run some to get in time to the bus when he was 85.

Well, I know a lot of people and I'm sure you do too that know smoking is bad for you but still enjoy it. The same with drinking, they know the danger but still continue to load up on suds.
At my house I have a "stupid free zone"   :mocking:  not allowing either smoking or geting drunk there.   I will have the same rule in Phils, so I guess I will not get many guests there :lol:
  • Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

attachicon.gifScratch head.gif I have put this here as it is really a health Question.

Yesterday, On my way back from the Barangay Hall, I popped In to see an old mate from the US. I have not seen him for a few months (In fact, it was Christmas at the Barangay Dinner) Anyway, it turns out that he was the afore mentioned man who upset my BC but I did not mention my Visit or that I knew Things, No, my concern was his Deteriorated Condition that took my attention.

at 6' 3 " and always being about 200+ lbs I was astonished at the sight of him Yesterday, I knew he had had a few Health Problems but at 71 one would expect that but what I saw was a bit of a shock.

Walking Slowly with a somewhat animated gait and seemed so very stiff all over and an evident back problem. Now he told me a couple of Years ago that he had been Military for some 15 years and after, Usually Manual Labour jobs, so it is not as if he was a lazy type but always on the move so to speak. 

Anyway, (sorry I can Waffle) It would appear that since February he was advised to go to the Gym a couple of times a week to help his circulation But He ended up like this, loss of weight, severe aching and I think he may have dislocated his Back or something. He stopped in April because of the Pain. Now I ask, is the Gym really any good for us older people or has this man been given a Bad Routine at the Gym?

To me, His Fitness Instructor has Crippled Him. :unsure:

Guess I will stay to Walking the Dogs and Riding my Bike  :thumbsup:  

JP  :tiphat:

Edited for the usual little Foo Par :hystery:

Javk.

I think I can give some input here.  I have a serious  back condition 2 fused and 3 other ruptures.  I was told to stay away from Gyms and I agreed totally with that  now swim every day, sometimes twice and it has helped greatly.  Your friend has been ill advised, I had one of the ruptures caused by a physio.

Now just have medium muscle massage also. Swimming is low impact for the body, I am too old for that other nonsense.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Well. I GUESS it's big risk gym will be to much,

but moving is sure good both for stamina and mobility.

My grandfather became 95 and worked until he was 90. He never exersised with weights, but he walked far, and even run some to get in time to the bus when he was 85.

Well, I know a lot of people and I'm sure you do too that know smoking is bad for you but still enjoy it. The same with drinking, they know the danger but still continue to load up on suds.
At my house I have a "stupid free zone"   :mocking:  not allowing either smoking or geting drunk there.   I will have the same rule in Phils, so I guess I will not get many guests there :lol:

We don't allow smoking in our home but guests are free to drink if they bring their own. I don't drink and I don't supply it.