Is The Gym Really Doing You Good? ( As We Get Older)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

We don't allow smoking in our home but guests are free to drink if they bring their own.

We have a 60' Terrace and a 16 sq mtr open terrace where our Guests are welcome to partake of Both. :mocking: when my Booze runs out off we go to the Sorry, Sorry after a Whip round. :hystery:

But that's me of course!

JP :thumbsup:

ps  Inside the House is TOTALLY non smoking  :)

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Jack maybe I am somewhat biased being a regular gym guy. Meaning 3---4 times a week and spending 1 hour 30 there. 30 minutes being cardio.

I have been doing this for many years and considering I am 64 remain in excellent health. Not saying this is the sole reason how ever all evidence points to the benefit of sensible exercise.

Personally I think local trainers here are not worth the money and often give advice that is not correct. I base this on advise received from gyms in Aussie and NZ where trainers are actually taught and must pass exams.

What I tend to do is have an emphasize on warming up, especially with weights. Start lite and work up until I reach about 80% of what I am able to do. Same with legs. Around 3 times a month I do my max on some exercises.

Does it help me.....You betcha it does, During periods  when I am away or unable to exercise my feeling is lethargic, is it just in my head, no don't think  so. 

I hike 15---25 KM on a regular basis,swim, dive, tennis  ride a heavy 1200cc motor and also dirt riding on a smaller bike. This I put mainly down to exercise,....... sorry for the rant bit carried away.

Quoting just the part that you mention about "does it hlp me, etc...."

No, it's not just in your head. Your body craves for the exercise. It's like an addiction. I would get it too when I was a distance runner. If I did not run for 1 day, my body craved it. The same with my calesthentics. If I did not exercise 1 day, the same thing would happen. I would feel like doing pushups at work, etc,,, Your body gets programmed for the exercise and without it, your body feels neglected.

This has ben my experience as well.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

Jack maybe I am somewhat biased being a regular gym guy. Meaning 3---4 times a week and spending 1 hour 30 there. 30 minutes being cardio.

I have been doing this for many years and considering I am 64 remain in excellent health. Not saying this is the sole reason how ever all evidence points to the benefit of sensible exercise.

Personally I think local trainers here are not worth the money and often give advice that is not correct. I base this on advise received from gyms in Aussie and NZ where trainers are actually taught and must pass exams.

What I tend to do is have an emphasize on warming up, especially with weights. Start lite and work up until I reach about 80% of what I am able to do. Same with legs. Around 3 times a month I do my max on some exercises.

Does it help me.....You betcha it does, During periods  when I am away or unable to exercise my feeling is lethargic, is it just in my head, no don't think  so. 

I hike 15---25 KM on a regular basis,swim, dive, tennis  ride a heavy 1200cc motor and also dirt riding on a smaller bike. This I put mainly down to exercise,....... sorry for the rant bit carried away.

Quoting just the part that you mention about "does it hlp me, etc...."

No, it's not just in your head. Your body craves for the exercise. It's like an addiction. I would get it too when I was a distance runner. If I did not run for 1 day, my body craved it. The same with my calesthentics. If I did not exercise 1 day, the same thing would happen. I would feel like doing pushups at work, etc,,, Your body gets programmed for the exercise and without it, your body feels neglected.

This has ben my experience as well.

Things start changing around 55, even if you have been involved in sports your whole life. You body doesn't pump out adrenalin or endomorphins as efficiently as it did when you were younger. If it does it's only a small percentage factor.

I do long distance biking, high intensity short stuff and hill work. And I swim. And watch the diet. But I still maintain that lifting weights to retain muscle is still the single most important exercise you can do after age 55-60.

I don't need a gym, but I'm having a look at one soon, a place I saw advertised. If I can use it 3 days a week, getting a full shower which we don't have here at home. Plus weights and maybe aerobics classes and spin bikes, I will feel I get my money's worth.

Will let you know.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

If you are up in your 60's or 70's, have not been going to the gym regularly, and just decide to start power lifting, or an advanced aerobic routine... you are looking for trouble.  Talk to your doctor and the trainer at the gym.  You can get a nice workout for you. 

I was doing zumba and really enjoyed it but there is none around my new house.  Without a gym there are still lots of good options here.  Walk the beach at sunrise (or sunset, depending on your drinking schedule ha ha).  If you like swimming but not fond of ocean waves, most hotels let non-guests use their pool for a small fee. 

I think just staying active is the most important thing.  That is why I chase girls... and my wife gets a workout chasing me!   :tiphat:

• Like 4

chris49
Posted
Posted

If you are up in your 60's or 70's, have not been going to the gym regularly, and just decide to start power lifting, or an advanced aerobic routine... you are looking for trouble.  Talk to your doctor and the trainer at the gym.  You can get a nice workout for you. 

I was doing zumba and really enjoyed it but there is none around my new house.  Without a gym there are still lots of good options here.  Walk the beach at sunrise (or sunset, depending on your drinking schedule ha ha).  If you like swimming but not fond of ocean waves, most hotels let non-guests use their pool for a small fee. 

I think just staying active is the most important thing.  That is why I chase girls... and my wife gets a workout chasing me!   :tiphat:

I did not say power lifting, even if I did mention it that would be impossible. I meant light weights with repetitions,

Did not try Zumba but might have. Such routines can get complicate but have tried.

Tim. 60-70 is a wide range and it would include underlying medical conditions, so who am I to advise anything.

One minute of high intensity exercise like spinning s gym bike hard has been shown to have more benefit than low intensity over a longer term.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I was doing zumba and really enjoyed it but there is none around my new house.
You can start a group in your new house   :)   There are zumba CDs/DVDs for sale.

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

​I like to contemplate exercise, the more I think about it the more it resemble work. 

Now that I am retired work is something I save up for.  I then hire it done and watch intently. At time I become exhausted and must take a nap (good thing I was taught and excelled at this), I almost without fail become thirsty and must have a cold adult beverage.

IMHO the best why to use a gym is to walk briskly past to the nearest watering hole, partake, get some to go and walk briskly home. It is good cardio after all.  Note to self, if gym is too far pick a place where others are working and use as substitute.  If this is impossible, take a cab as it is very important to stay hydrated.     

• Like 5

RBM
Posted
Posted

As we mature it's important to ovoid injury, it's not about the healing it's all about preventing the injury.

As a general rule which I adhere as important is the warm up, personally I spend some time with very light weights before moving up. Warm those muscles ( or what remains of muscles ) slow and gently.

And agree the adult drink bit later on is most essential.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I was doing zumba and really enjoyed it but there is none around my new house.
You can start a group in your new house   :)   There are zumba CDs/DVDs for sale.

I really enjoyed the zumba classes.  It was easy to work out at your own pace, in the group.  We had one very old lady that was barely moving - but she was moving.  A few of us were pushing ourselves fairly hard.  Everyone had a good time.

• Like 1