Is The Gym Really Doing You Good? ( As We Get Older)

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)

Don`t do drugs

Father, 25, who was desperate for a 'beach body' was given just hours to live after overdosing on diet pills DNP that 'cooked' his body from the inside 
Lewis Brown, from Suffolk, became obsessed with working out 
He took steroids to go from a healthy 10 stone to 15-and-a-half stone
Mr Brown took it further by having a large amount 'fat burners' in one day
He was hospitalised and his family were told he only had hours to live
After a miraculous recovery he is warning people of the dangers of DNP
By ANTHONY JOSEPH FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 11:45 GMT, 1 January 2016 | UPDATED: 18:59 GMT, 1 January 2016

shares
View comments
A father who was desperate for the perfect 'beach body' overdosed on diet pills and was given hours to live.
Lewis Brown, 25, from Haverhill, Suffolk, took a large amount of the controversial DNP pills to help him lose excess, for him to add more muscle, after becoming obsessed with working out.
He even took steroids to go from a healthy 10 stone to a 15-and-a-half stone frame. 
But when he turned to the 'fat burners' the poisonous chemicals increased his body temperature to 42 degrees and was 'cooking' from the inside. 
Lewis Brown, 25, from Haverhill, Suffolk, took a large amount of the controversial DNP pills to help him lose excess, for him to add more muscle, after becoming obsessed with working out
+11
Lewis Brown, 25, from Haverhill, Suffolk, took a large amount of the controversial DNP pills to help him lose excess, for him to add more muscle, after becoming obsessed with working out
Mr Brown's leg
+11
Mr Brown
+11
Mr Brown (right) spent three days in a coma  and a week in intensive care, before doctors were forced to perform three operations to cut out his entire muscle at the front of his left leg (left)
Worried doctors at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge were forced to put Mr Brown in a coma while they covered him in ice.
But when his muscles started to die, his devastated family were called to say goodbye.
Miraculously he pulled through, but not before medics were forced to cut out a leg muscle which had died.

Mr Brown said: 'I was so out of it about getting bigger that I thought I was unstoppable.
'I just wanted to be better than anyone else.
'I was a different person then - everyone has said. All I was interested in was getting bigger and I just didn't know what I was doing.
'I'm just lucky that I'm still alive.
'I remember seeing a story about DNP and people who died and just thinking they weren't taking them right.
'But I have done it myself now and I can tell you, you just get caught up in it so quickly.
Miraculously he pulled through, but not before medics were forced to cut out a leg muscle which had died
+11
Miraculously he pulled through, but not before medics were forced to cut out a leg muscle which had died
Pictured is Lewis Brown's leg where doctors had to cut out some of his muscles
+11
Pictured is Lewis Brown's leg where doctors had to cut out some of his muscles
The near-fatal dose was the exact number taken by student Eloise Parry, 21, from Shrewsbury, who died just months earlier.
Mr Brown thought he would be fine despite reading up on some of the horror stories.
Realising his mistake in July last year, he started to get hotter and hotter and drove himself to hospital.
Medics ordered him to neck a charcoal drink to 'soak up' the chemicals, but the toxic chemicals were already attacking his body.
Mr Brown (pictured in hospital) thought he would be fine despite reading up on some of the horror stories.
+11
Mr Brown (pictured in hospital) thought he would be fine despite reading up on some of the horror stories.
His temperature soared to a staggering 39.8 degrees, and doctors put him in an induced coma and gave him ice baths, while warning his family to prepare for the worst.
BODY LOSES ENERGY WITH DNP 
DNP causes the body to run out of energy, accelerates metabolism to a dangerously fast level and causes the body's temperature to rise.
He had taken three or four of the controversial tablets a day for a couple of weeks in early 2015, but on July 23 he took a large amount in 12 hours - his first day of re-taking the tablets.
DNP is sold mostly over the internet under a number of different names but contains 2, 4-Dinitrophenol.
It is marketed mainly to bodybuilders as a weight loss aid as it is thought to dramatically boost metabolism.
According to a study in the Journal of Medical Toxicity more than 60 deaths have been attributed to DNP.
Mr Brown said: 'I was hoping the steroids would keep the muscles, but the tablets would strip the fat.
'I took three in the morning and I didn't feel anything for a few hours, so stupidly I took another five.
'They said if I didn't drink it (the charcoal drink) I could die.
'I remember drinking it, but that's the last thing I remember.
'Apparently after that I started to get really confused and they called my family.
'My body was just heating up and cooking from the inside out.
'I was put in the coma I think to stop my body moving and doing anything that would cause heat.
'The doctors told my family I could have just two or three hours to live, and that I wouldn't make it through the night. They all thought that was it.'
Lewis Brown before he became addicted to working out
+11
Lewis Brown
+11
Lewis Brown, 25, (left before he became addicted to working out) from Harerhill, Suffolk, who nearly died after he got addicted to being buff and overdosed on controversial diet pills DNP
Lewis Brown, 25, started going to the gym to get fit but quickly became obsessed with working out and started taking steroids to gain a 15-and-a-half stone frame
+11
Lewis Brown, 25, started going to the gym to get fit but quickly became obsessed with working out and started taking steroids to gain a 15-and-a-half stone frame
He spent three days in a coma and a week in intensive care, before doctors were forced to perform three operations to cut out his entire muscle at the front of his left leg.
It had been killed off when it was 'cooked' by the drugs, and it took Mr Brown four months to recover and get back to work.
Mr Brown lives with with his partner Tara Wetterson, 25. He had previously never revealed the full extent of his obsession to his family before.
He forked out around £100 a month for the medicines, which he would inject or take orally two or three times a week. 
He spent three weeks in a coma
+11
Doctors were forced to perform three operations to cut out his entire muscle at the front of his left leg
+11
He spent three days in a coma (left) and a week in intensive care, before doctors were forced to perform three operations to cut out his entire muscle at the front of his left leg (right)
Despite noticing he was becoming aggressive and obsessive, the gym fanatic continued work out. 
But now he has spoken out to raise awareness of the dangers of steroids and diet pills, which can be easily bought for as little as 3p.
He said: 'I've got this leg now, but it's just something I have to deal with.
'Before I was a bit reclusive and everything annoyed me, and I didn't want to do anything.
'Now I'm getting back to my old self. My family are really relieved.
'The doctors have said I'm very lucky to be alive.
'I'm going to go back to the gym because I like to keep fit, but I'm never touching pills or steroids ever again.'
Edited by sonjack2847

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Don`t do drugs

Am with you 100% on this. I've only seen one guy in my gym who was on the juice. Its instantly obvious. I sponsored two young men out of my gym in 'natural' (I forget the exact term they use) body building competitions. I don't know how well, or even if, they test the guys, but if you've ever seen what steroids can do, you instantly recognize it and the users almost instant size expansion. Most athletes train just as hard, but don't turn into 'Hulks' overnight like these guys do.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Don`t do drugs

Am with you 100% on this. I've only seen one guy in my gym who was on the juice. Its instantly obvious. I sponsored two young men out of my gym in 'natural' (I forget the exact term they use) body building competitions. I don't know how well, or even if, they test the guys, but if you've ever seen what steroids can do, you instantly recognize it and the users almost instant size expansion. Most athletes train just as hard, but don't turn into 'Hulks' overnight like these guys do.

Yes Iv`e seen those people who grow overnight.Thankfully not so much here.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Don`t do drugs

Yes. I knew both:

/Conny Nilsson, who became World Champion in strength lift (or what's it's called in English when they compeete in lift from ground and some other where technique is much less important than in the Olympic type lifting). He used drugs much.

/Ulf Larsson. Was in elite in body building, although he did NOT use drugs. He was/is even vegetarian. It just took him longer time to reach the elite than it take for the cheaters...

Several world elite sportsmen drug cheaters have died young...

• 1 month later...
Daydreamer
Posted
Posted
You should also keep your brain exercised with puzzles or some sort of mental exercise besides checking out the young pinays and wishful thinking. That might stimulate your heart but not the right way.
:hystery: :nudie: :hystery: My wife would kill me if she caught me doing that particular activity.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I have noticed a decrease in upper body strength since I no longer work as a heavy equipment mechanic or as a new construction plumber building schools, prisons, sports stadiums and hotels but I don't find it unreasonable or alarming. Walking is my favorite form of exercise and it's free and doesn't need to be performed in a specific place. I also find that a brisk 3 km walk where your legs burn a little bit just before you go to bed keeps your metabolism up while you sleep. I'd give it a try before you put drugs in your body.

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

I have noticed a decrease in upper body strength since I no longer work as a heavy equipment mechanic or as a new construction plumber building schools, prisons, sports stadiums and hotels but I don't find it unreasonable or alarming. Walking is my favorite form of exercise and it's free and doesn't need to be performed in a specific place. I also find that a brisk 3 km walk where your legs burn a little bit just before you go to bed keeps your metabolism up while you sleep. I'd give it a try before you put drugs in your body.

I agree 100%. Nothing like physical activity to make for a good sleep and better digestion.

This is a co-incidently strangely timed reply to this old thread since 4 hours ago, while riding w/wife back from my gym workout we spotted my old friend, Jerry of Glasgow, peddling on the bike up the blvd. He was enroute to our place with a chocolate cake for us because every year I lend him my old bike to use for exercise while he's here for 3 months of the Scottish winter. 

Our service trike driver stopped, and I took the cake bag, and then at slow trike speed, he kept up with us the last km. to our house. As we drank cold water and ate a slice, he told me that he had just celebrated his 78th birthday and still loved bicycling. Then he quoted me the old saw....."use it or lose it."  :tiphat:

chris49
Posted
Posted

I may have posted earlier in the thread. I didn't check the entire content.

You probably noticed I ride bikes. I did 81 km today half of it into a stiff wind and tackled 2 long hills.

Despite that, I still say working with weights, light reps but enough to tire you after 10 or 20 reps, is the single most important thing you can do past age 55, let's say 60. To maintain muscle mass.

• Like 2