Which Suv

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

Depending on where we end up, in all likelihood we will end up with a vehicle and the wife and I are agreed that some sort of SUV is appropriate both for size and general utility. Besides, she has a large family :)

However, I just don't see buying new. I figure my budget would be no greater than $20k (less is better of course). Any recommendations on make/model? I know everyone has their faves. Gas vs. diesel? 

I tend to think if I can keep it in good shape I will drive it for 10 years till it dies or I die. I've owned plenty of new cars and their appeal is not what it once was.

For what's it's worth my wife has a couple mechanics in the family, so hopefully it can be maintained reasonably well, while she gets to help her brothers.

Edited by davewe

chris49
Posted
Posted

Isuzu Crosswind 2.5 litre diesel. That's what I'm aiming for having previously owned an Isuzu D Max double  cab, 3.0 litre. The Crosswind is the one I see most frequently on the road here. Crosswind can be an 11 seater because of the folding down seat in the back.

If in Metro Manila, the requirement might be different. I am not so sure on this because the capacity might be small for your requirements. Hyundai Tucson or Hyundai Santa Fe.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
she has a large family

What about a jeepney :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
my budget would be no greater than $20k

That's only 930K pesos and I can't think of a decent SUV for that price, unless you like the Hyundai Tucson which starts at about US$ 23,000 http://www.hyundai.ph/Showroom/Tucson

You may want to look at the Toyota Innova which is more van than SUV.  They call it an MPV but you can pick up a new, basic model for your budget and its a Toyota. http://www.toyotapricelist.com/toyota-innova.html

Oops.  Just noticed you said

I just don't see buying new

That opens up possibilities but I wouldn't do it because people want too much for their used junk that they never maintained, unless you can find someone leaving the country and they have to sell quick.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

For what's it's worth my wife has a couple mechanics in the family, so hopefully it can be maintained reasonably well, while she gets to help her brothers.

post-2148-0-40745300-1442905468.gif Now, ( said with tongue in cheek) Do you mean Mechanics or Brothers with some Spanners because everyone here is something of an expert and you are talking many 000's of peso's here

Just saying but............................... :rolleyes:

JP :thumbsup:

post-2148-0-41919400-1442905430.png

• Like 1

insite
Posted
Posted

Anyone have any thoughts on the new Ranger Wildtrak v the new Toyota Hilux ?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Depending on where we end up

That will make a big difference on what selection of used vehicles you have.  Most of the selection is in the big cities, especially Manila.

Use caution if you find a newer, computerized vehicle.

Isuzu Crosswind 2.5 litre diesel

I think the Crosswind is actually more of an MPV (multi purpose vehicle) than a Sports Utility Vehicle.  I suspect Dave would consider all of these types as they are Utility vehicles.  I have ridden in a nice Crosswind but the problem with a used one is that they get driven into the ground and it is hard to find one you can trust.

I had an Toyota Avanza (small MPV 7 seater) and liked it.  The one I had was too sparse on creature comforts but the new ones can be had with more bells and whistles, for under a million pesos new.  They only have gas; no diesel.

If you want a real truck based SUV at a reasonable cost, your popular ones here are Toyota Fortuner, Mitsubishi Montero, Ford Everest and Chevy Trailblazer.  You might find a 5 year old one for your budget, but getting a good one is always the issue.

If you end up buying a new SUV, check out the new 2015/16 Ford Everest.  I think it is now the leader in the class.  Here is an article by James Deakin:

http://jamesdeakin.ph/new-everest-vs-trailblazer/

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Honestly after looking at vehicles - and their prices - I would not buy anything but a Suzuki multi-cab!  (Rusco, Domescon, PhilTruck etc...)

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

Some answers:

We won't end up in a big city like Cebu or Manila. We may end up in a smaller city like Dumaguete, but even then an area outside the city is likely. Southern Cebu is also a strong possibility.

I used the term SUV as a generic term like most Americans do. I don't "need" the sports aspect. I also do not see buying anything huge. Something that's big enough and powerful enough to navigate the local traffic. In the US I have owned plenty of smaller cars, but I don't see that as the way to go in PI.

As far as Jack's comments about my BIL mechanic - well I knew that was coming :) He is in fact a working mechanic, but whether it's him or someone else I figure I should be able to find modest skills for way cheaper than it goes for here. That might justify a used vs. new car. But it's a good point about modern computerized parts. Should that make me want something a bit older?

I have owned plenty of new cars but I will be retired and want payments to end. And while I would have the cash to buy new, I would rather not for obvious reasons. This won't be a car for daily commuting purposes, so I don't intend to put big mileage on it. So at that point the decision is whether to get a later model used in the $15-20k range or an older used for $10+k. Of course if I ever see a deal on something new (less likely in the Philippines it seems) I would also consider that.

Thanks for the suggestions - keep em coming!

Edited by davewe

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

A couple of other things to mention.

Diesel is a lot cheaper than gas here.

Water wading depth or what ever they call it is important here.  Anyplace in the Philippines can quickly get flooded high enough to flood a normal car like a Vios.

For me, with 2 kids, bigger was better and I wanted air bags.  Many lower models only have a driver air bag.