Is A Comfortable Lifestyle Possible?

No Duff
Posted
Posted

I'm new, so this Q has probably been hammered here, but my monthly pension will be around £1500.

If i was to rent out my humble UK abode and come for a long look-see, travel around and explore before I took the plunge, would my modest income serve me well?

Obviously I'd give the ball a bloody good kick to start with, until the novelty wore off, and I know it would wear off, but would I be comfortable? I'm not really interested in living like a king, I'm a realist, I would just like a comfortable life-style.

I've scoured Rent.PH, and I'm getting a feel of whats available accommodation wise, but as for regions, I imagine my look-see will answer that for me.

Are some areas drastically more expensive to live in than others?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I'm new, so this Q has probably been hammered here, but my monthly pension will be around £1500.

ND, you have no Idea how that Question has been hammered and will continue to be. There are many many Topics on it and if you search top right of the page just type in something you wish to view see what happens.

While I am here, I did not know your Mr Earle but the name rings a bell for some Reason, Probably from HK but it may come to me.

Also if I may, do you Refer to him as a Gaffer ( Probably Electrical?)   because he was a CT or are you from the Midlands area where it is used in Many ways as a person in Charge.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Mate I live on half of that and live a good life, some blokes can, some can't, depends on your life style.

I am the same as you Chris.

• Like 4

chris49
Posted
Posted

If i was to rent out my humble UK abode and come for a long look-see, travel around and explore before I took the plunge, would my modest income serve me well?

Obviously I'd give the ball a bloody good kick to start with, until the novelty wore off, and I know it would wear off, but would I be comfortable? I'm not really interested in living like a king, I'm a realist, I would just like a comfortable life-style.

I've scoured Rent.PH, and I'm getting a feel of whats available accommodation wise, but as for regions, I imagine my look-see will answer that for me.

Are some areas drastically more expensive to live in than others?

Mate it should be. But travelling around and any form of nightlife could cut right through that. (About 105, 000 pesos/month)

Since I came here 10 years ago I paid for 2 or more. It is normal to have a companion right?

So short answer. Yes, that would be good for a comfortable living.

Long answer. If going out almost every night including meals and drinks for more than one person, as we sometimes do here in the Philippines, is something you are likely to do, then no, you will wipe that out in under a month.

Most forum members live on well under that. But it takes time to settle down here. Expenses run high initially, there are women, of course. And one striking difference you will notice here. For every drink you buy, everything you shell out, it will only be on a very rare occasion you will get some back.  

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
my monthly pension will be around £1500.

I wish  my pension was like that, i am looking forward to less then half of that,

• Like 1

No Duff
Posted
Posted

Steve, really?

I don't think it's a massive amount, but I know I'm lucky to be getting it.

I joined the RAF when I was 16, and I've spent the last 20 years doing a pretty thankless job, so maybe I've earned it.

I've always been frugal and I'm gifted with the ability to cut my cloth quite easily. My only concern was, would I be comfortable.

Thankyou to everyone for taking the time to comment, it does add to my peace of mind, and helps with my decision making process.

• Like 3

bows00
Posted
Posted

If you search through these "How much do I need..." topics, the answers are all going to be different. It's like asking someone how much money do I need to retire? It's all a matter of simple mathematics and life style.

For example, I could probably survive on $1500 (Euro) a month, but I wouldn't be happy, because I am still a bachelor - looking forward to the nightlife and partying when I retire. Although I have always lived within my means, I am not very frugal by nature...

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Steve, really?

I don't think it's a massive amount, but I know I'm lucky to be getting it.

I joined the RAF when I was 16, and I've spent the last 20 years doing a pretty thankless job, so maybe I've earned it.

I've always been frugal and I'm gifted with the ability to cut my cloth quite easily. My only concern was, would I be comfortable.

Thankyou to everyone for taking the time to comment, it does add to my peace of mind, and helps with my decision making process.

Your job in the RAF may have been thankless but let me say "ThanK You"! :cheersty:  Lots of us are vets on the forum.

To answer your question an average expat wishing to live as you described would manage on that amount.

It is critical to have an exit plan and funds to make it work.

It is also important to have a fairly substantial emergency fund that can be got to quickly but safely. For example if you were to be seriously injured or the like you would not receive hospital care without cash up front.  

Honestly you are very smart to do a "look see" as you say. once done you can return or not and have a very good idea of how things work and if it will work for you.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

No Duff
Posted
Posted

Old55,

thankyou for your comments, my intention is not to annoy anyone on here, so apologies if I have. The only reason I mentioned my 'pension amount' is because it is a major concern to me, and the comments made by people who take time out to reply, are really ppreciated. This forum is info packed, i'm addicted, thankyou everyone!

But in answer, the RAF wasn't the thankless job, I only did 9 years service, but I travelled to places I'd never heard of, met some incredible people on the way & learnt a lot about me, the following 20 years in the 'old bill' is the thankless occupation i refer to.

• Like 5