Have I Got This All Wrong

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Here is me trying to work out this and that and what it will cost me to live over in the phils,

Well i may have this £xxxxxx coming in right now and that should last me till my pension kicks in , that will  be in a few more years , so then i shall have a extra £xxxxxx coming in .

But what about my savings , i shall have £xxxxxx which may never be touched or very little touch anyway ,

So all in all i shall be fine but wait a minute all this planning to make sure i have enough to live on, HOW LONG HAVE I TO LIVE :unsure:

• Like 2

No Duff
Posted
Posted

Live for today but plan for tomorrow.

I'm sure somebody else may have said that before  :rolleyes:

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Live for today but plan for tomorrow.

I'm sure somebody else may have said that before  :rolleyes:

All of us have said it before :hystery:

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

All sound retirement planning has to answer that question first - "How long does your money have to last?" which is polite way of asking - "When do you plan to kick the bucket?"

• Like 4

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

my way of thinking is spend it while you are still fit and healthy

as you cant take it with you when your time is up !

if things go to plan I am taking the little woman and her sister to the US in march 2016.

that is of course if the little woman has no plans for a house extension !

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
"How long does your money have to last?"

How long is a piece of string?

"When do you plan to kick the bucket?"

Tomorrow, it never comes!

If nobody took a chance, nothing would of been invented.

"If only we could see into the future".... ex CEO of Volkswagon (only joking)

• Like 5

chris49
Posted
Posted

You have to plan but sometimes Steve you overthink things. Trust in yourself and your own judgements!

Yes really.

You are not living life on the edge or anything like that. As a guide run some comparisons on your siblings, parents and grandparents. Take and average off that.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
So all in all i shall be fine but wait a minute all this planning to make sure i have enough to live on, HOW LONG HAVE I TO LIVE :unsure:
If living of the monthly retirement pay, and have some reserve for extras - and don't need to tough it before dieing  :)  - then we don't have problem in the Swedish retirement fund system -if they don't reduce the value to much  - because  (except for some extra the first 5 years) the basic retirement pay go on with SAME AMOUNT undepending of age with NO MAX AGE.  (Inflation index updated.)

Don't any other countries have similar?

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

One additional thing to keep in mind, Steve et al.

I'm 66, live life to the fullest. If I'm 80, my needs will be completely different. It's still far ahead and not worth worrying about at the moment.  If  my money is less, I spend less.  And like you again Steve, you have set up a place that's rent free, so that is saving a big chunk over time.

Let it play out mate and don't worry so much.

• Like 3