Buying New Vehicle Advise

intrepid
Posted
Posted

I couldn't locate a good place for this topic so if it needs to be moved,...well the powers to be please move.  Maybe bossman :th_thsmilies-29057:  we need to new subform topic for new and used vehicles which could include all vehicles including trucks, cars motorcycles, bicycles, rental,....anything transportation related?  Or maybe there is and I overlooked it.  Wouldn't be the first time.

After much research and reading related topics on the forum I have pretty much decided on buying a new Isuzu MU-X.  I’ll admit I was on the fence for a few weeks but after other comments here  it seems this vehicle best suits our needs and pocket.  Since my wife never bought a new car in the Philippines I’m hoping you guys can answer a few questions I have.
Most likely going to buy it from the dealer in Alabang because it is close to where we will be staying when we arrive.  We have a lot to do in a short time when we first arrive at the end of April so we need a vehicle fast.  Getting our daughter tested and registered for school and locating a rental home just to state a few.
So, my questions are how fast can we take possession of a vehicle after payment.  Planning to wire transfer the money and paying in full.  No Loan.  Are prices there negotiable?  What can we expect to be included form the dealer?  I have heard insurance, LTO fees, correct or anything else?  Would it help if I don’t go and let my wife and her brother do the negotiating or are the prices the price?
Any other advise is welcome of course.(please) :tiphat:

bows00
Posted
Posted

First off, have you ever lived in the Philippines before? And I am not talking about vacations, but long term? Because there are a lot of expats that regret buying a car in the Philippines. Most say a scooter, or even a motorcycle is the way to go.

This is one purchase I will be refraining from until I have spent at least a year there.

CebuBound
Posted
Posted

I rent a car from Avis. They have a ton of rental places in the Phils. You might try that for immediate needs and also see if you want a car.

As Avis is international and I "think" a US company, I rent from the US using my US Visa card and believe I have some US consumer protections. If they tried to rip me off with phantom damage or something else we'd settle it in the US since that's where the transaction took place. (I hope.)

I can't help you with buying a car as I've never done that in the Phils.

Cheers.

intrepid
Posted
Posted

First off, have you ever lived in the Philippines before? And I am not talking about vacations, but long term? Because there are a lot of expats that regret buying a car in the Philippines. Most say a scooter, or even a motorcycle is the way to go.

This is one purchase I will be refraining from until I have spent at least a year there.

No I have not.  But with all the driving around needed daily a vehicle is a must for us.  I'm willing to take the risk.  Money that is.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Isuzu gives no discount or negotiation on a new car. Except there is a standard 5k for cash. Sending your **wife doesn't help. 

Assuming the dealer at Alabang has the model, 48 hours to take possession of the car (I'm also getting one, the XU-V, but financed). The 2016 model comes out somewhere in that time frame. If they have a 2015 model there is a standard discount of  30k I think it is.

**sending your wife ahead to markets and etc to get a better deal is normal. Sending them on major purchases, has other factors attached, usually they don't have the experience to judge what the salesman tells them.

New vehicles in the Philippines if parked outside esp in Metro Manila are subject to random scratching, not sure why, probably jealousy. You must be careful where you leave it parked unattended.

I like your decision.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Thanks Chris.  Thats good information and what I was looking for.  Some is what I thought but it is sure nice to have it confirmed.  I assumed you were speaking of a leftover 2015 with the 30k discount after the 2016 roll out.  Any discount would be nice and welcomed.  I never expect one though.  What seems to be the most popular color for vehicles there.  I remember seeing a lot of black and darker colors.  I'm hoping for white with the hopes of being just a little ever so cooler.  But, color choice comes after diesel, auto, and model.

DavidK
Posted
Posted (edited)

If it's anything like Cebu where you are it will be a uniform colour of "Dust" pdq anyway. It's always a nice surprise when it's been washed..........

Edited by DavidK
  • Like 1

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

Check and make sure the car, even if new is not a flood car.  Also, I am pretty sure if you don't bring your car to the dealer you bought it from for oil changes and all other work they will void your warranty.  Have a front and rear HD camera installed IMMEDIATLY.  Make sure it records voice so you can let the police and or traffic officer know THEY are being recorded when you are pulled over for "driving while white".

• Like 3

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

aah driving while white can be a problem we were stopped by a local police officer who wanted the documents of the van

and also wanted money but when My brother in law pointed out to him I was the passenger and not the driver he soon decided to leave

having a police officer in the family I was advised to stop driving and let the brother in law drive for us.

as whiteys are a prime target for fake accidents and instant cash for repairs !! in certain areas your neighbours might tell the local gangs who you are and they will follow you and crash into you. so yes get a camera for the front and for the back!!

• Like 4

william_c
Posted
Posted

As a long time reader of this forum I vividly remember horror stories from others that have been driving and suddenly become involved in an accident. Their experiences include being charged, irrespective of obvious guilt by the other person, and off to jail they go. Furthermore, if someone dies as a result of the accident your buns are in hot boiling water and jail will be the least of your problems. That said, you should never be the driver of the car you purchase. DWW is a problem here from what I have learned.

As noted, flooded vehicles are commonplace, new or used. My suggestion, aside from an independent inspection, is to run your hands under the seats and dash area and taste what you feel. If its salty, say bye.

Cash is best as financing is outrageous due to the high loan interest rates. As for maintenance, the forum members are correct, suscribe to their rip-off post sales oil change schemes or loose your warranty. Get prepared for a $500 service fee that is little more than the oil change itself. And, repeat until the warranty expires.

All the banks have repo cars but they should be approached with extreme caution. However, an independent inspecion MAY find you a flower in a field of onions.

My $0.02. Welcome to the PI.

• Like 2