Buying New Vehicle Advise

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Good points by everyone and thanks for the ideas and information.  End the end as mentioned by someone previously each of us must make the decision of what we feel comfortable with.  Nothing in my plan has changed and the information gained here has only helped more.  Thank you all. 

Now back to sorting and packing boxes! :dance:

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Good points by everyone and thanks for the ideas and information.  End the end as mentioned by someone previously each of us must make the decision of what we feel comfortable with.  Nothing in my plan has changed and the information gained here has only helped more.  Thank you all. 

Now back to sorting and packing boxes! :dance:

You didn't say where you were permanently moving to but I assume also near Alabang?

Like you, I knew I had to drive over here.  I've ridden or driven all sorts of motor vehicles since I was 8 or 9 years old.  Having a vehicle has always been important to me and I don't want to give it up until I am too old to do it safely, or maybe 5-10 years after that :no:   Also, if you are a certain size, jeepneys and trikes are very uncomfortable in most cities.  I have the bumps on my head to prove it.

I find some of the posts on this topic to be very "alarmist".  Yes, there are actual of cases as described, usually second hand or third hand stories, or in the news.  However, it is like watching the evening news.  If you think the real world is going to be like the news, you would never leave the house.

I do agree with the point about what Abby calls the Crocodiles.  Being pulled over by traffic police to be extorted is a big problem in Manila that I have experience 4 times (one time I was guilty, turning down a one way street by mistake) in the last 2 years, so I avoid Manila.  However, it is not strictly a “DWW” problem.  When I was stopped near BI in Intramuros, I saw at least 2 Filipinos pulled over by the pack of Crocodiles at a V intersection where they can make up a lane change violation like they did with me.  And, it was payday evening, a day they know people have money.

Has anybody experienced Crocodiles outside of Manila metro?  I have never heard of it in Subic or Olongapo.  They make legit stops (I guess) in the Freeport and give tickets.  I have been pulled over twice but they let me go both times.  I think when they see you are a resident they let you go.

I have never heard $500 for little more than an oil change at a dealer here, but dealer service is expensive.  A good part of the high cost is the cost of oil.  For some reason, oil is really expensive here and of course the dealer charges a premium.  Oil in the chain auto parts stores can easily be 350-400 pesos per litre.  Makati Chevy charged the former owner of my car 7242 pesos (about usd 155) for fully synthetic oil on the 10k service and the total was p13210.  Makati Chevy is known for charging high so many go to Pasig. I’m expecting my 20k service oil to be less in Pampanga but expecting the total price to be 10-12 k, about $215-$255.  Any how, beside the warranty, dealer service should get you a better price when you sell.

Buying new has the huge advantage in that you know the exact history of the vehicle from day 1 and you can get ii quickly without shopping for a good used vehicle, which will take a long time.  I suspect the chances of buying a new vehicle that has been flooded as slim and none, but of course a full vehicle inspection should be done upon delivery.

If you still have not set your permanent roots, you should take a look a Subic Bay Freeport Zone.  The driving is a key reason I moved here.  Safe and organized.  And Olongapo City is not bad by Philippines standards.

The dealers usually have a fairly fixed price but you can get them to throw in freebies.  If you are financing with them they would probably be even more generous because they make a killing on the financing.  However, they will give you free stuff for a cash deal too, at least at the few dealers I visited in Pampanga.  If you can get bids from more than one dealer, you might get more for your money.  As mentioned, finding and buying a 2015 next April might get you a small discount but to me I wouldn't do it unless it is a large discount.  2017s will already be coming out in late summer.

If you are set on the MU-X do yourself a favor and compare to the Trailblazer and new Ford Everest.  There is a Chevy dealer off of SLEX near Alabang and I think Ford is in Alabang.  The new Everest is supposed to be really good.  The MU-X and Trailblazer share many components but the Chevy has the better diesel engine and a 5 year warranty.  Chevy does not require you to use the purchase location for service and I doubt that other brands do.  They would be shooting themselves in the foot on sales.

Toyota is coming out with a new Fortuner soon.  You might want to see what it has to offer.  They have to compete with the bells and whistles on the new MU-X, Trailblazer and Ford Explorer.

BTW, dash cams were mentioned and several models of the new Trailblazer come with a factory dash cam.  Mine is a 2014 so it does not have it.

Good luck with your purchase!

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)
I do agree with the point about what Abby calls the Crocodiles.  Being pulled over by traffic police to be extorted is a big problem in Manila that I have experience 4 times (one time I was guilty, turning down a one way street by mistake) in the last 2 years, so I avoid Manila.  However, it is not strictly a “DWW” problem.  When I was stopped near BI in Intramuros, I saw at least 2 Filipinos pulled over by the pack of Crocodiles at a V intersection where they can make up a lane change violation like they did with me.  And, it was payday evening, a day they know people have money.

I was stopped 6-7 times in Manila, a few for seat belt violations, 300 pesos, 200 if lucky and away you go.

I had 3 violations at Intramuros at the junction which is designated U turn. I swear the cop waved me around but apparently the arrow had not yet come up, 300 again. Next visit the U turn sign is gone, I did not notice, 300 again. Next visit I foiled them lining up on the left and going towards Taft Ave on the V which Don describes. I was good, but the same guy knows me now, he stops me and starts singing Merry Christmas, 200 pesos my contribution.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Has anybody experienced Crocodiles outside of Manila metro?
I HEARED of one. I believe it was in Carcar.

• 2 months later...
Ram1957
Posted
Posted

For those that are buying a new vehicle take into consideration the "No Plate/No Travel" law.You can only drive your vehicle for 7 days from date of purchase and after that it will sit until your plates and OR/CR are released from LTO. Currently this process is very slow and if you get caught it will cost you P10,100 and if the vehicle is over 30 days old it can also be impounded. So just a heads up on the current situation. I brought my motorcycle in Oct and still no plates and I don't feel like giving them the P10,100 if caught.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
"No Plate/No Travel" law.You can only drive your vehicle for 7 days from date of purchase and after that it will sit until your plates and OR/CR are released from LTO. Currently this process is very slow and if you get caught it will cost you P10,100 and if the vehicle is over 30 days old it can also be impounded.

Technically true. But if concerned should be verified with the LTO. My Brother in Law is still awaiting his plates after 2 months now I think? I asked him about it and he told me as long as he has his registration (current) if he is stopped (unlikely) he will just show it to the officer and all will be well. Now this is just word of mouth from him, if a member buys a new car I believe he should confirm it with the LTO.

But judging by the number of cars with placards saying "Registered, no Plate Available" on the streets of Metro Manila, I am inclined to believe him.

• Like 3

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

"No Plate/No Travel" law.You can only drive your vehicle for 7 days from date of purchase and after that it will sit until your plates and OR/CR are released from LTO. Currently this process is very slow and if you get caught it will cost you P10,100 and if the vehicle is over 30 days old it can also be impounded.

Technically true. But if concerned should be verified with the LTO. My Brother in Law is still awaiting his plates after 2 months now I think? I asked him about it and he told me as long as he has his registration (current) if he is stopped (unlikely) he will just show it to the officer and all will be well. Now this is just word of mouth from him, if a member buys a new car I believe he should confirm it with the LTO.

But judging by the number of cars with placards saying "Registered, no Plate Available" on the streets of Metro Manila, I am inclined to believe him.

I have confirmed this with the LTO and if caught you will be fined. And of course being an expat they will just love to catch you and they really don't care about the locals most of them can't pay the P10K fine. Also you don't have a registration on a new vehicle, just the bill of sale. So take your chances if you wish.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Our APV is 3 months old now and we have a temp. plate number on the car which came from the dealer .... not sure just where you got your info but I have seen cars that were 6-7 months old (like my next door neighbor) and still driving ..... it is not the dealers fault that the LTO won't pay their bill to the plate manufacture so they will produce more plates ..... same with the driver's licenses ..... my brother-in-law bought his motorcycle almost a year ago and still doesn't have his new plate .....  :merrychristmas: 

• Like 1

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

Our APV is 3 months old now and we have a temp. plate number on the car which came from the dealer .... not sure just where you got your info but I have seen cars that were 6-7 months old (like my next door neighbor) and still driving ..... it is not the dealers fault that the LTO won't pay their bill to the plate manufacture so they will produce more plates ..... same with the driver's licenses ..... my brother-in-law bought his motorcycle almost a year ago and still doesn't have his new plate .....  :merrychristmas:

Here's the official directive, test it for yourself and see what happens. http://www.lto.gov.ph/news/159-memorandum-circular-no-avt-2015-1930

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the link Ram. As with most things in the Phil things are subject to change at ALL times lololol. I thought I remembered something in the news. I found this

MANILA, Philippines -- The controversy surrounding the “no plate, no travel” policy did not end with the Land Transportation Office’s suspension of the program, as Senate Majority Leader Alan Peter Cayetano vowed to continue monitoring the issue and other problems “to guard the public against any government inefficiency.”

During the probe, the LTO said it was scrapping “no plate, no travel” in favor of “no registration, no travel.”

Cayetano said no fine should be imposed if a motorist can present an official receipt and vehicle registration papers.

"The public should not in any way be burdened by what is clearly a product of the LTO’s and the plate contractor’s failure to deliver and process plates on new vehicles," he said.

"Vehicle owners who have registered their vehicles promptly should not have been barred from using their vehicles nor penalized for government's inefficiency," he added.

I just pasted in a few of the relevant passages, article was in the interaksyon web page may of this year.

So who knows what has transpired since.

Thank goodness my car has its plate and is current :hystery:  :cheersty:

• Like 2