Buying New Vehicle Advise

Mike S
Posted
Posted

May be a lot longer than that as the LTO won't pay for the tags they all ready owe ..... my brother-in-law is good friends with someone who works at the LTO (in fact he is his neighbor) .... he said they are excepting the temp tags here .... in fact he asked what our number was and said it was legitimate ..... oh well we will see ..... glad we have dark tint on our windows ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

:cheersty:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
May be a lot longer than that as the LTO won't pay for the tags they all ready owe

The frustrating part comes if you want to sell it.  I bought a Rusi with the intent of riding it for a year, until the registration is due, then selling it and buying a Honda.

Already 5 months with no plates and I am concerned I won't get as much if I can't provide plates with it when I sell.  Oh well, still a few months before I get too worried.

• 7 months later...
Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 12/23/2015 at 2:32 PM, Ram1957 said:

I brought my motorcycle in Oct and still no plates

This is an old post but I want to update with my experience and ask: Did you get plates yet?

For me, I never received plates for the RUSI I bought a year ago.  What they did give me (after about 5 months) was an LTO receipt and an LTO letter saying my registration was good until Nov 2016 and I had permission to make my own plate.  So I got a plastic plate made and 2 days ago I was stopped at Amlan, just north of Dumaguete.

When the police stopped me, (it was a thorough stop check with a HUGE line of filipinos waiting for them to move on), the officer took a good look at all the documents I was given along with my Philippine driver's license and actually looked at the plate to be sure it met his satisfaction.  It was all good so he smiled and said it was all good and waved me on.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So I got a plastic plate made

Was that at the kiosk upstairs in the mall or somewhere else? I'm waiting on my letter so I can have one made also.

• Like 1

Ram1957
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

This is an old post but I want to update with my experience and ask: Did you get plates yet?

For me, I never received plates for the RUSI I bought a year ago.  What they did give me (after about 5 months) was an LTO receipt and an LTO letter saying my registration was good until Nov 2016 and I had permission to make my own plate.  So I got a plastic plate made and 2 days ago I was stopped at Amlan, just north of Dumaguete.

When the police stopped me, (it was a thorough stop check with a HUGE line of filipinos waiting for them to move on), the officer took a good look at all the documents I was given along with my Philippine driver's license and actually looked at the plate to be sure it met his satisfaction.  It was all good so he smiled and said it was all good and waved me on.

Dave,

I'm in the same position as you are regarding the plates. Got a plate number but still no official plate. I talked to the Dumaguete LTO and he said that to keep checking with the place I bought the bike (RUSI) at because they will be the one the plate is issued to. So I'll check with them this week. Also you may want to check with the Dumaguete LTO on when it is due for renewal. I did the smog and the paperwork on mine and found out that its not due until July 2017 and I bought it in October 2015.

Edited by Ram1957
Wording
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, AlwaysRt said:

Was that at the kiosk upstairs in the mall

Yes.  It takes a few days as they have someone who makes them and delivers them.  Cost 200 pesos.  Well worth it as I got stopped by a cop who actually gave a crap. But the papers are just as important and RUSI got those for me (after 5 months as I said)

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I belong to a car club here and the other day a member posted a shot of his plate.  It was just like a German plate but physically embossed with his PH plate number.

I see tons of the Europe fake plates that sit behind the regular plate (you can buy them at all the auto parts places), but this is the first time I saw an actual plate like that.  So I guess you can get any plate you want as long as the number is there.

I'm not a proponent of over regulation, but it seems like common sense that plates should be standardized so that they meet a certain guideline, (size, colors, reflective material, etc.) and that displayed plates follow common sense rules.  Such as, you can't put a smoke colored plastic cover over it that is so dark you can't see the numbers.

I think Duterte is getting on this.  I hope he follows through.  I think his idea is to have like the German system that I described here on the forum a long time ago.  It creates small business jobs and eliminates part of the bureaucracy.  You go to "LTO" and get your papers done.  Then you walk outside where there are 4 or 5 authorized private plate vendors to choose from, to create your plate.  You give them a paper and they create your plate on the spot, for a fee.  You take it back inside and they put the stickers on it.  All done and it doesn't take very long .

• Like 3