Naia Bullet Scam

JonPalawan
Posted
Posted

http://www.philstar.com/metro/2015/09/27/1504299/recto-seeks-probe-abuses-naia

[senator Ralph] Recto seeks probe of abuses at NAIA
By Marvin Sy (The Philippine Star)  | Updated September 27, 2015 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - Sen. Ralph Recto yesterday called for an investigation of abuses allegedly being committed by Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) personnel against tourists and balikbayans.

Recto made the call following reports of NAIA personnel planting bullets in the bags of travelers during customs inspections in order to extort money from them.

The victims would be threatened with a stint in jail unless they pay.

Recto said this modus operandi is a serious offense that could land the airport employees involved in prison for life.

“The 2013 firearms law says that if you are a public official and you plant a bullet on the person or property of an individual for the purpose of framing him, you go to jail for life,” Recto said.

He said this punishment should be imposed on the airport personnel who put a bullet in the bags of an American missionary and a balikbayan if it is proven that they indeed committed the crime.

While authorities are conducting their investigation, Recto said he will push for the Senate to conduct its own inquiry into the allegations.

“On Monday, through a resolution, I will seek an official Senate probe into the matter and into other schemes and scams that defraud, swindle, or deceive our airline passengers,” Recto said.

He said a Senate investigation is needed because the agencies operating at NAIA failed to “curb the abuses on their own. There is no working system that is guarding the guards.”

Recto said that a functioning internal affairs system would have caught the problems early on and necessary actions taken against erring personnel.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Recto said this modus operandi is a serious offense that could land the airport employees involved in prison for life.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm! but it won't will it? :no:

JP :tiphat:

Morning All. :morning1:

• Like 1

JonPalawan
Posted
Posted

Well, I complained to NAIA about an airport bus driver (even sent picture of his badge) who drove away before I could sit down, causing me to fall to the floor of the bus. Nothing came of it. You're probably right. But not finding the culprits will surely hurt tourism, which is so important here in Palawan.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I`m with you on this Jack and as John said it will be bad for tourism because if you can`t trust the authorities of a particular country to behave who are you able to trust.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
even sent picture of his badge

Good thing you did not tell the story and post the picture on Facebook or you would have been deported as a persona non grata   :bash:

• Like 2

JonPalawan
Posted
Posted (edited)

Most people don't really want the Truth.  They just want constant reassurance that what they belleve Is the Truth.

:bash:

Is that directed to me?

Edited by JonPalawan

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
Is that directed to me?

Sometimes humor does not come through so let me explain.

You mentioned taking a picture of the airport bus driver.  In most countries that would be a great idea as the authorities then have evidence to reprimand the offending worker.

In this county, it seems if any of us 'tell it like it is' or take pictures and videos of people doing wrong, then the authorities label the foreigner as a trouble maker and declare him persona non grata.  I find that aggravating but actually humorous   Thus I was gritting my teeth and smiling at the thought of you being 'hammered' by the authorities for simply pointing out that they have an idiot working for them.

I hope that explains my comment but if my comment annoys you then let me know and I'll remove it.  Sometimes my sense of humor is worse than Thomas'  :hystery:

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 5

JonPalawan
Posted
Posted

Is that directed to me?

Sometimes humor does not come through so let me explain.

You mentioned taking a picture of the airport bus driver.  In most countries that would be a great idea as the authorities then have evidence to reprimand the offending worker.

In this county, it seems if any of us 'tell it like it is' or take pictures and videos of people doing wrong, then the authorities label the foreigner as a trouble maker and declare him persona non grata.  I find that aggravating but actually humorous   Thus I was gritting my teeth and smiling at the thought of you being 'hammered' by the authorities for simply pointing out that they have an idiot working for them.

I hope that explains my comment but if my comment annoys you then let me know and I'll remove it.  Sometimes my sense of humor is worse than Thomas'  :hystery:

No problem, thanks for explaining. When I don't understand something, I ask.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

No problem, thanks for explaining. When I don't understand something, I ask.

Jon the bit you refer too is Dave's Signature it is seen on Every Post and serves us well to remember things :thumbsup:

JP :)

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
In most countries that would be a great idea as the authorities then have evidence to reprimand the offending worker.

To add on, there was a article in todays metro section, seems a lady got tired of garbage pilling up in her subdivision. she took a picture and posted it on face book, garbage gone in a couple of days. Couple months back a foreigner did the same thing down south (topic can be searched here) and got declared persona non grata :1 (103):